IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

• 3 months later...

Kind of a curiousity question here...

What might it take (or what type of person might it take :-) to create new banking files for the CC2.

I know there's not currently much need (although a 144k with pokey banking file could probably be used), but with some of the newer games with more RAM and Pokey, etc, it could be nice.

That said, if I remember correctly, it sounded like creating new banking files would be near impossible.

I don't remember if it was just the complexity, or the particular software costing a lot of money, or both or ?? But I seem to remember thinking that it's not likely...

Not a big deal either way, but just wondering..

I was offline for a while (life gets in the way), so just getting back into my 7800.

I remembered that I had even thought it might be fun to try to figure it out. But as I recall, the more I dug, the more I was thinking that it didn't look good (at least for some scrub like me).

So, I'm not asking for CC2 banking files.. ;-) Just wondering what some of the issues/complexities around them are...

desiv

Edited by desiv

• 2 years later...

2 1/2 year bump. :)

Does anyone have any ideas about CC2 bankswitching configurations for the following games?

DK VCS (aka Donkey Kong VCS)

Gauntlet (Dark Chambers HACK)

Millipede CX-22 Trackball HACK

Thanks for any help.

2 1/2 year bump. :)

Does anyone have any ideas about CC2 bankswitching configurations for the following games?

DK VCS (aka Donkey Kong VCS)

Gauntlet (Dark Chambers HACK)

Millipede CX-22 Trackball HACK

Thanks for any help.

The way I find them is to sort the game roms by file size in explorer and borrow the bankswitch configuration from one of the games which is the same size. If it doesn't work I pick another one and try again.

If a game is a hack of another game it most likely uses the same bankswitch file.

• 5 months later...

Will we be able to open the cart to install a Pokey chip without screwing up the label? Or will they come disassembled, or label off, etc?

-EDIT-

Nevermind, the CC2 Documentation answered my question.

Can't wait to order icon_smile.gif

GF,

It seems that the CC2 documentation is no longer available. It's been offline for quite a while. http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml

Can you share how to install the pokey chip without destroying the label?

Thanks,

-Dino

• 1 month later...

I just got a CC2 last year and added all of the 7800 games to it, but I recently decided to go ahead and add the 2600 games, too. I got everything working except Zippy the Porcupine. Does anyone know what bankswitch and startup codes to use for that game? I tried Megaboy and a couple others, but still can't get it to work.

• 5 months later...

Well, this isn't too much of a necrobump, but I had a question about the CuttleCart I recently got and am stuck for a solution. I have sourced MMC cards. I have painstakingly made sure they were formatted to FAT16. I am pretty sure I went through the proper procedure to create a menu for it. Unfortunately, all I get is non-workable results. I have a 32MB card that gives me a screenful of random characters and a 64MB card that gives me a screen full of lines. Any thoughts? Pics are attached.

Thanks in advance.

post-16779-0-24591900-1545961683_thumb.jpg

post-16779-0-58012500-1545961692_thumb.jpg

Well, this isn't too much of a necrobump, but I had a question about the CuttleCart I recently got and am stuck for a solution. I have sourced MMC cards. I have painstakingly made sure they were formatted to FAT16. I am pretty sure I went through the proper procedure to create a menu for it. Unfortunately, all I get is non-workable results. I have a 32MB card that gives me a screenful of random characters and a 64MB card that gives me a screen full of lines. Any thoughts?

What if you copied the contents of your MMC card, zipped them up, and then sent them to me? I could then copy them to my own card and see if they will run on my CC2. That way we could narrow down if the problems are in the files themselves or something else.

Or, I could zip up my own files and send them to you to see if you can get them to run on your own card/cartridge.

from the manual:

• Purchase a 32 MB Multimedia Card. 32 MB MMCs are the most compatible right out of the retail package. If you choose to use another size, you will likely have to reformat it to FAT16. (See Setting up the Multimedia Card).

Sorry, if I was not clear. I bought a 32M card and verified it was FAT16. IT is the one with the garbled characters on screen.

I seem to remember that happening to me. I think the fix was resetting the nvram on the cc2.

Mitch

Okay, so I *did* RTFM and could not see a specific way to do this. Pulling the battery seems to be the way to do this or am I missing something?

Okay, so I *did* RTFM and could not see a specific way to do this. Pulling the battery seems to be the way to do this or am I missing something?

I just checked my CC2 and I don't see a way to reset the NVRAM either. I guess my memory is not so good any more.

Sorry,

Mitch

did you try this?

Booting with the Emergency Boot ROM

If something causes the “Update Boot ROM” procedure to fail, you must activate the CC2’s Emergency Boot system to recover and reflash the main ROM. To activate the emergency boot mode, you have to open the case and set a jumper on the CC2 Printed Circuit Board.

Figure 10: Jumper in Emg Boot Mode

Turn off the Atari, remove the CC2, and open the case. Locate the Jumper labeled “BOOT”, directly to the left of the MMC socket. Move the jumper from the “MAIN” position to the “EMG” position. Insert the CC2 back into the 7800 such that the side with the battery is facing AWAY from the console buttons. (There is no need to put the CC2 back into its case.) Turn on the 7800 and follow the onscreen instructions. After reflashing the main ROM, turn off the 7800 and remove the CC2. Set the jumper back to the “MAIN” position. Try the CC2 to see if it now works correctly. If not make sure the BOOTROM.CC2 file on your MMC is the latest version available from www.schells.com. If it is and the CC2 still fails to operate, send an
email to
support@schells.com describing the problem.

If the CC2 works correctly, turn off the Atari 7800, remove the CC2, and put it back inside its case.

did you try this?

Booting with the Emergency Boot ROM

If something causes the “Update Boot ROM” procedure to fail, you must activate the CC2’s Emergency Boot system to recover and reflash the main ROM. To activate the emergency boot mode, you have to open the case and set a jumper on the CC2 Printed Circuit Board.

Figure 10: Jumper in Emg Boot Mode

Turn off the Atari, remove the CC2, and open the case. Locate the Jumper labeled “BOOT”, directly to the left of the MMC socket. Move the jumper from the “MAIN” position to the “EMG” position. Insert the CC2 back into the 7800 such that the side with the battery is facing AWAY from the console buttons. (There is no need to put the CC2 back into its case.) Turn on the 7800 and follow the onscreen instructions. After reflashing the main ROM, turn off the 7800 and remove the CC2. Set the jumper back to the “MAIN” position. Try the CC2 to see if it now works correctly. If not make sure the BOOTROM.CC2 file on your MMC is the latest version available from www.schells.com. If it is and the CC2 still fails to operate, send an

email to support@schells.com describing the problem.

If the CC2 works correctly, turn off the Atari 7800, remove the CC2, and put it back inside its case.

Do you have a current BOOTROM.CC2?