IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

So far no one has mentioned this, and if it seems like a popular idea maybe it needs its own thread.

I think it would be a big waste of time for everyone who buys the CC2 to have to go through AA and download all the instruction manual texts one at a time, then reformat them to 40 characters wide text files, check them for layout, make necessary changes, and then save them.

This is a job that is going to take hours and hours if it isn't already done. Can we split it up and work on it together? I'd be glad to host the ZIP file for download when it's finished.

So far no one has mentioned this, and if it seems like a popular idea maybe it needs its own thread.

I think it would be a big waste of time for everyone who buys the CC2 to have to go through AA and download all the instruction manual texts one at a time, then reformat them to 40 characters wide text files, check them for layout, make necessary changes, and then save them.

This is a job that is going to take hours and hours if it isn't already done.  Can we split it up and work on it together?  I'd be glad to host the ZIP file for download when it's finished.

I believe this project is already in progress. I don't recall the link though. Maybe Chad can remember.

Mitch

Thanks for the update Chad!

I have a question about the POKEY chip. I have an old 600XL just lying around. Are the POKEY chips socketed in the XL machines? I know I can open it and find out my answer but I thought this would be quicker since I'm not near it :)

Also, once the POKEY is installed will the board fit back in the CC case?

I think it's neat that you can update the main ROM. This will make updating a breeze. :thumbsup:  :love:

You can get new pokey chips from Best for $5 apiece. Thats what I did.

What a cool device, not really low priced but I guess it's worth the money.

If you look around at all the people that wanted a CC 1 and passed, this is twice as good and alot easier to use. I dont know if Chad is planning multiple runs or not but I would get one now if you can. Ive had my 'beta' unit for some time and it works great and is easy to use.

This is a job that is going to take hours and hours if it isn't already done.  Can we split it up and work on it together?  I'd be glad to host the ZIP file for download when it's finished.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....dont know if I should mention this or not but someone in the beta converted ALOT of manuals for testing. I think I have over 200????

Chad,

Just to be clear - I don't expect to be able to pay extra $$$ to have you dig up a POKEY chip, rip it out of a cart, etc.  My question is if I pre-order a CC2 and send you a POKEY chip prior to the assembly of the CC2, would you put it in the socket so I can avoid opening it up (and possibly damaging it).

Thanks,

I had the same feelings about the Pokey but its really NO big deal! Just wrap yourself in tin foil like I did and...............:)

Seriously, it was a 5 min operation. The first time I didnt have the Pokey fully seated and cause no problems, just pressed dwon a bit more and wala Commando 7800 was singing :D

Hmmmmmmmmm.....dont know if I should mention this or not but someone in the beta converted ALOT of manuals for testing. I think I have over 200????

I dont think they were converted to 40 char wide. But they are text and renamed to same name as what the MENU generator renames the ROMS to. I'll see if I can find the link.

Buck

I'm pretty sure the manuals were not converted to 40 column format, so if people are interested there's still work to be done.

It's been talked about behind the scenes for a while splitting this task up. It becomes a relatively simple task if enough people chip in. It just requires that someone organize things to that people don't format the same manuals.

Chad

I suggest starting another thread for volunteers willing to reformat the manual text files.

Maybe AA could buy a bunch of POKEYs and sell them in the store?

I yanked a POKEY out of one of my two Atari 800 XL systems for the CC2 .. So I still need to get one to replace back in place.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

There seem to be a lot of original Cuttle Carts going on sale on eBay lately.  I wonder why that is? :wink:  

Buck

I also noticed this, I have had a saved search for cuttle carts on for a year and just recently I have been getting emails from the saved search. I swear when I was serious about getting a CC1 there were none on ebay, now that the CC2 is taking preorders nobody wants the first one. :ponder:

Thanks for the update Chad!

I have a question about the POKEY chip. I have an old 600XL just lying around. Are the POKEY chips socketed in the XL machines? I know I can open it and find out my answer but I thought this would be quicker since I'm not near it :)

Also, once the POKEY is installed will the board fit back in the CC case?

I think it's neat that you can update the main ROM. This will make updating a breeze. :thumbsup:  :love:

I got mine at Best Electronics. I had no troubles disassembling the case and installing the POKEY. Everything fit back together just fine when I was done.

Remember Bob Colbert's "Game Genie" type program Cheetah that compiles a 2 or 4K ROM, adding in a code-entry feature in the extra RAM space used by the supercharger?

I suppose that ROMS compiled with Cheetah would work fine on the CC2 because they are just Supercharger ROMS.

That is awesome. I wonder if I still have a copy of that program anywhere.

Oh, here it is, on an un-updated copy of his web site that's about 5 years old: http://www.atari2600collector.com/

convince him to do an udated CC1 with all the features like the CC2 with updated hardware, could we? I think I would be one of the first in line for one!

Umm, why?

The only disadvantage of the CC2 from the CC1 is that it doesn't work on a 2600. 7800s aren't that hard to find to make it issue though.

Mitch

well since they changed ebay a bit, i dont even know myself anymore

there used to be a save this search link at the bottom of the listings of your search, but now i bet you have to actually use the search feature button at the top

i havent changed or added any new searches in atleast a year to my favorites page on ebay