IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

As for a second run, the waiting list is no where near long enough to do one.  And I was just informed today that one of the parts in the CC2 has been discontinued.  So I have to say it doesn't look very good.

That sucks most mightly. The FPGA, I presume? I recall you mentioning that it was already obsolete, but that it was important because it was one of the few 5 volt FPGAs still available. That would be the trickiest of the three parts (FPGA, flash, RAM) to replace.

So I'm considering making the CC2 source code available to the public for modification.
Sounds pretty cool. Right now the only thing I can think of is having a few new useful bank switch modes possible
Yes. It would be very nice to have some new modes so that if someone wants to write a large and ambitious 7800 game, they could. I just started playing Final Fantasy Tactics and was thinking that a game with similar mechanics might be possible. Now I just need more time . . .

I finally got mine up and running! Actually, I didn't do any of the work. Yesterday I was at the Video Game Summit here in Chicago, adn a very nice guy next to me let me copy his MMC. I know that I'm going to want to mess around with the menu, and I'll definitely want to add the manuals in, but so far I'm just busy playing and playing and playing.

So I never played Edtris before. Are the controls in that game really mooshy?

There are sveral step up/down chip regulators if the operating voltage is a problem on a newer more current chip.

The problem with FPGAs is, if you change chips, you almost certainly have a different gate layout, and all those nice bankswitching files will need to be completely different, so there will be two of each to keep track of. There were also some issues Chad didn't want to worry about with regards to TTL level bus signal compatibility.

Well all the CC2s have finally made it to their owners.  So I will be selling the spares soon.  I'm going to choose names by random from the second run mailing list and offer them to those people first.

Has the lottery begun? I really hope my number comes up.

That sucks most mightly. The FPGA' date=' I presume? I recall you mentioning that it was already obsolete, but that it was important because it was one of the few 5 volt FPGAs still available. That would be the trickiest of the three parts (FPGA, flash, RAM) to replace.[/quote']

Actually it's the MMC socket. It could be replaced, it would just require finding an alternative that was cheap, available in small quantities, and had a roughly equivalent form factor.

I would also require new board artwork, with associated setup costs, and most annoyingly a new solder paste stencil ($$$). So basically it would require a run as large as the first run to justify making more as I would have to pay the up front costs all over again.

As for replacing the FPGA with lower voltage alternatives, it's not quite that simple. Many low voltage parts are not TTL compatible, which requires level translators on the bus. This is expensive both in terms of parts cost and board space. (It's already packed to fit in a cartridge shell.) There are FPGAs that use a lower core voltage but are 5V tolerant, but they can't handle much in the way of spikes on their inputs when working near 5 volts. And I've seen a lot of spikes of various sorts while probing around Ataris so I decided not to go that route for reliability concerns. (This was discussed earlier in this thread.)

Anyway, I just did my random drawing and sent out the notices to the people whose names were drawn.

Chad

I just did my random drawing and sent out the notices to the people whose names were drawn.

Are you willing to reveal how many CC2s were actually produced now that they have all been spoken for and/or offered for sale? I’m just dying to know!

I just did my random drawing and sent out the notices to the people whose names were drawn.

Are you willing to reveal how many CC2s were actually produced now that they have all been spoken for and/or offered for sale? I’m just dying to know!

Why? :ponder:

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to know as well but why do you want to know, you'll never sell yours. :D Right? :ponder:

Anyway, I just did my random drawing and sent out the notices to the people whose names were drawn.

:_(

I was one of the winners in the drawing, but I notified Chad to offer the one that he reserved for me to someone else in the community. I was lucky enough to get a Cuttle Cart 2 from someone on AtariAge after I had requested to be put on the waiting list. I hope that your name gets picked. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
yeah... no screws.. There are instructions on how to open it in the pdf manual on the CD that came with it.

Manuals? Who reads manuals??

lol...

Luckily I got a ROM compilation from someone here, which is great! But I suppose I will have to read the documentation when I want to add stuff. Plus I dont think he had Klax configured correctly (probably missing a key or something).

I will be putting my archived MMC cart up for download shortly... over 1,000 ROMs in total between NTSC and PAL versions (yes I'm a sucker for doing both sides because hey, there might be other PAL owners interested in besides myself!)...

I dont think he had Klax configured correctly  

That is very weird now that you said that I had to go and try the 7800 klax and it didn't work the first time :?

I tried it a second time and it loaded fine :? :?

Don't ask me what the heck is going on with it, but try it two times in a row.

The 7800 KLAX prototype has some code in it that should have no effect on a real console, but for some reason makes it crash sometimes at startup on certain 7800s. I think Mitch has a fixed version of the ROM on his site that has this code removed.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Yes, indeed I do. Look here.

Mitch

• 3 weeks later...
So will there be a Cuttle Cart 3?  For what system?  What systems don't already have such a device?  Lynx, Jaguar, Famicom, and what else?

Colecovision would be too easy (no carts used bank switching) and would have little need for an FPGA, but I think Intellivision could use something.

NES/Famicom would be nice due to all the bank switching variations used, but it would be a tight fit for an MMC card. I have 200 megs of over 900 ROMs that I got from a DC emulator disc, and the biggest MMC cards are 256 megs (for around $100, IIRC). Then there would be the little issue of the copy protection chip. But they'd be easy enough to desolder from SMB/DH carts and stick into a socket on the board.