chris_lynx1989

News Flash:

Seen on www.duranik.com

Alpine Games for Lynx

Alpine Games is a new game for the Atari Lynx

handheld. It is a classic sports game like the old

Summer and Winter Games.

Available Now.

Retail price will be 35 € + shipping costs.

You can order directly from Lars Baumstark

(email-address can be found on www.duranik.com)

or contact your local Lynx supplier

Considering that the game was for 5 years in development I think that the 35 EU are really a fantastic price.

I dont know how they managed that, looking at other homebrew products and their stock prices. Plus the game looks professional and not like your typical hombrew program exercise. Duranik has my respect for this achievement.

Kudos to Duranik!

Yes. I think the price for a FINISHED release by a programer is excellent and refreshing especially in the wake of previous releases and even from large software developers inexcusably trotting out buggy unfinished products on current platforms for $30+.

I think i know to whom you are referring to.

I bought my copy of Raiden 4 years ago and realized thats its only an unfinished beta version which loops after the 4th level.

The same with some other post-atari-releases.

Otherwise Telegames did a great job with IS 2 and Worms. :)

But their Lynx releases were mostly (except Desert Strike and ESC)awful, just trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of existing code fragments. Unfortunality this intention seems quite common with previous releases by other various publishers.

My "black list" of unreasonable releases for awfully high prices:

Reloaded Demo Cart (Lynx) (Good work but not worth the admission)

Painter CD Unencrypted (Jaguar) (29$????For CD?????)

SFX (Lynx)

CGE Memorative Cart (Lynx) (I didnt know that there was a star photograph at work! I guess he takes high tantiemes.)

Daemon's Gate (Lynx)

AvP Demo (Lynx)

Raiden (Lynx)

Battlesphere for 350$ ;)

American Hero CD (Jaguar)

Native Demo CD (Jaguar) (This Game was intended to be FREE!!!!)

I guess Alpine Games will have an impact on development and especially publishing practice for good: publishers will think twice before they rush out material to outragious price admissions, as nobody would support these methods anymore. So I hope that AG will be a great success and thus ressurect "serious" Lynx Development.

I think i know to whom you are referring to.  

I bought my copy of Raiden 4 years ago and realized thats its only an unfinished beta version which loops after the 4th level.

The same with some other post-atari-releases.

Otherwise Telegames did a great job with IS 2 and Worms. :)  

But their Lynx releases were mostly (except Desert Strike and ESC)awful, just trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of existing code fragments. Unfortunality this intention seems quite common with previous releases by other various publishers.

My "black list" of unreasonable releases for awfully high prices:

Reloaded Demo Cart (Lynx) (Good work but not worth the admission)

Painter CD Unencrypted (Jaguar) (29$????For CD?????)

SFX  (Lynx)

CGE Memorative Cart (Lynx)  (I didnt know that there was a star photograph at work! I guess he takes high tantiemes.)

Daemon's Gate (Lynx)

AvP Demo (Lynx)

Raiden (Lynx)

Battlesphere for 350$ ;)  

American Hero CD (Jaguar)

Native Demo CD (Jaguar) (This Game was intended to be FREE!!!!)

I guess Alpine Games will have an impact on development and especially publishing practice for good: publishers will think twice before they rush out material to outragious price admissions, as nobody would support these methods anymore. So I hope that AG will be a great success and thus ressurect "serious" Lynx Development.

I am sorry, but i think you are mixing up too many aspects (like manufacturers prices and Ebay-prices) in your list and this makes the conclusion looking silly.

Regards

Matthias

It is nice to see that Lynx got a new professional grade game like Alpine Games out. At least I just sent my order to Lars for a cart :).

I am also very amazed by the low price. According to Duraniks web site the uncompressed graphics was 2 MB. And now they have squeezed it to fit into the tiny Lynx cart space using a 512k chip - 4 times bigger than Warbirds. Plus EEProm support for high scores.

--

Karri

I am sorry, but i think you are mixing up too many aspects (like manufacturers prices and Ebay-prices) in your list and this makes the conclusion looking silly.  

I guess you are referring to Battlesphere. Thats why i put that smilie in context. I dont see why this one makes my whole sentiment "look silly".

Plus the high ebay prices for BS are correlated to the publishing practice of Scatologic- there are also rumours that some BS carts were sold directly on ebay by Scatologic.

I don't want to start neatpicking, you missed the point anyway I guess.

Lars emailed me back. This is what he had to say.

Yes, Alpine Games is in production from now on.

> It´s price is EUR 35,- plus shipping.

Payment is accepted via mail in a _secure_ envelope in EUR currency or via paypal (+2% paypal fee) or by bank transfer to my account additional costs may be added by your bank!). It´s also possible to send an international postal money order (IMO) to my mail address.

He is going to check the price of shipping to the U.S. in the next couple of days. I am going to pay with Paypal. I can't wait to get this game.

To everyone interested: Songbird Productions will have this game in stock as soon as it is available to us. They are aware of the interest in the USA (and elsewhere), and I will order plenty of stock to go around. I only ask that you wait until I receve the game before you start sending money -- I don't want to tie up your hard-earned dollars while I'm waiting for an overseas shipment.

Look for an announcement soon!

To everyone interested: Songbird Productions will have this game in stock as soon as it is available to us. They are aware of the interest in the USA (and elsewhere), and I will order plenty of stock to go around. I only ask that you wait until I receve the game before you start sending money -- I don't want to tie up your hard-earned dollars while I'm waiting for an overseas shipment.

Look for an announcement soon!

Even better! :D

Glad I decided to wait a bit!!

there is one problem with what lars baumstark said, the u.s. post office no

longer offers these(at least at my post office anyway) for sale. i've asked

about these before and they stopped offering these back in 2002 or in the

early part of 2003. you have to get an american express,travelers expre-

ss or a western union money order for it to be an international one. also, one can be gotten from a u.s. bank. just a tidbit for some to consider out

there that are considering ordering one from lars and live here in the u.s.

:) ---the lynxer

.. I only ask that you wait until I receve the game before you start sending money -- I don't want to tie up your hard-earned dollars while I'm waiting for an overseas shipment.

Is this guy a class act, or what!! Ya just gotta give credit where it's due, y'know! :D

Thanks, Carl!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone received a copy yet? I got a mail from Lars Baumstark jan 26 where he said he'd be checking shipping costs for sweden within the next days, but I haven't heard from him since then, nor has he replied to my further mails. Strange.

He was suppose to check shipping for me as well. We emailed back and forth several times, but I haven't heard back from him in over a week. I hope everything is ok with him.