IGNORED

Anyone ever finish Pitfall II??

shining slade

I've finished Pitfall II a number of times (twice on the GBA Anthology).

It's just a matter of getting the timing down on the condors (or whatever they are) and the bats.

Actually, I think the game would have been a bit better if you had limited lives. It would have made it a lot harder to actually finish the game. As it is now, it's more a matter of patience than being particularly skilled at it.

Now getting a perfect score... that's another matter entirely. I gave up on that 20 years ago. :D

I could finish it just fine, but I can't come close to a perfect score and it just isn't fun to try. I haven't played this game since the 80s.

I'm one of the few who doesn't like this game. Sure it's an impressive effort, and nice to see a little variation for a 2600 title, but the game is nothing but an exercise in annoyance. It really isn't fun dodging a condor 500 times while running down identical corridors.

But then I don't care for Pitfall either.

I've finished Pitfall II several times, although I've never achieved a perfect score. I do agree that the condors are annoying (and sometimes the frogs), but it's not too hard if you're patient. I remember being astounded when I got this game when I was younger (probably 12 or so). :)

..Al

Not only have I completed it, I did so once - ONLY ONCE - with a perfect score. Wow, I about went blnd dodging the bats and condors on that looooong climb up.

However, I would've had TWO perfect games, but I once grabbed Quickclaw first - which ends the game - forgetting to go to the right and collect the cave rat. Lordy, was I pissed about that little snafu.

Not only have I completed it, I did so once - ONLY ONCE - with a perfect score. Wow, I about went blnd dodging the bats and condors on that looooong climb up.

However, I would've had TWO perfect games, but I once grabbed Quickclaw first - which ends the game - forgetting to go to the right and collect the cave rat. Lordy, was I pissed about that little snafu.

hahaha i did the same thing the first time i had a perfect score going,

i bought this game when it first hit the stores back then and me and a buddy played it for days trying for the perfect score, it didnt take to long to get the perfect score, but once i got it i dont think ive played the game since then

The question is who has finished the 2nd Quest? Not that it's on the 2600 version but in this day and age it's still pretty valid since any of us have access to the 8bit/5200 ports in one way or another. That 2nd maze is crazy! Do you have to use the balloon at any point?

I used to play PitFall II non stop for a very long time. I've beatin it a few times... only once with a perfect score. Now, PitFall I never really could get into as much to complete the game.

And the special edition 5200 version... sheesh.. I have enough problems on that just completing the first map with those sticks.

I've finished both the 2600 and 5200 versions of Pitfall back when they

came out. The 2600 version can be completed very quickly if you don't

care about points and know the way. A perfect score is tough, but if you

practice running under condors and bats for a while it can be done. I

did so once, but that was enough.

As for the second quest, I would be in awe of someone who could get a

perfect score on it. Not only are the critters much harder to avoid and

the pit positions are harder to clear, but the layout is much more

convoluted. I always just tried to collect the key items as quickly as

possible and not worry about dropping to a lower level with a point-losing

"bump." If you avoid those it really makes you take the long way around.

I've never mapped it out to see if a perfect score is even possible, though

I imagine it is. Now that I own the 8-bit version of the game, I'll have

to try it out again and see if it's any easier on a digital joystick.

--The Eidolon

I've beaten Pitfall II with a perfect score (well for the first quest anyway) on both the 2600 and 400/800 (for some reason I think the 2600 version was harder). It actually took me 10 years to beat the second quest. I remember getting to it several times with my friend, but we never could beat it (getting that damn golden rope is a BITCH!). When my friend moved away he took his Pitfall II cart with him, so I had to wait 10 years to play it again. I beat it the same night I got it back.

Anyone ever beat the second quest with a perfect score?

Tempest

I've beaten Pitfall II on the 2600. I was going to try to beat both levels on the 5200, but I found out that Twin Galaxies does not track scores on the second level. The record for the 5200 version is still 199,000. So, I never played it any further. The second level is wickedly difficult!! I doubt if I could ever get perfect on it!!

I've beaten Pitfall II on the 2600.  I was going to try to beat both levels on the 5200, but I found out that Twin Galaxies does not track scores on the second level.  

Don't tell me you only play games for TG scoring, Yancey. Its about the love of games, not recognition. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Yeah, I can get a perfect on Pitfall II (not the second quest), and I can do it pretty regularly. The key is to take your time. I'm now trying to see how fast I can get a perfect. I'm down to 13+ mins. :) :) :) :) :)