IGNORED

Anyone at PhillyClassic see the prototypes?

Well? Did anyone see the Elevator Action and Pitfighter prototypes? We couldn't go (I'm in Texas and Albert is in California), so we're relying on second-hand info. Elevator Action was one of my favorite arcade games, I'm curious to see how the 2600 version is (if that's the case).

Woops, I guess I should have read your news item more carefully before sticking my foot in my mouth! A 7800 Pitfighter makes more sense, and at least the 7800 has two distinct buttons (although the arcade game has three). Still, it won't look anywhere near as good as the arcade game..

..Al

Hey, Alex...

I played about a level of Elevator Action... it was about as good as a 2600 version could be. Control was good, graphics were, well, 2600 graphics. Still, nice to see another 2600 title turn up. (Anyone know if that ROM got dumped yet?) For some reason, I didn't get around to Pit-Fighter, though I was reasonably curious. Chalk it up to a lot of catching up to do, and not a lot of time to do it...

Ah well...

-S

Elevator Action was alot better than I expected it to be. Too bad it was still a little quirky (I think it was about 85% done). One thing that bothered me was that I kept missing the red doors! If they had finished this I think it would be one of the better 2600 games out there. Speaking of which, why didn't they finish it?

Pit-Fighter was a real disapointment. It looked like a really bad port of Double Dragon. The guys were very small (not the large graphics of the arcade version) and not very detailed. It was a little demo where oyu could walk around some runied building and punch out the four other guys walking around. You could also walk off the bottom of the screen and appear on the top (in mid air!). I can see why they abandoned this game, it wasn't going to look at all like the arcade. In fact I wouldn't have known it was Pit-Fighter if John hadn't told me!

They also had a 7800 GATO demo. This was kind of interesting, at least as far as demos go. It showed a few screens that you could switch between by pushing the fire button. One was a cross section of a sub with some key points highlighted, there was a scenery board of sometype (I think it was ocean and an island), and a picture of some gauges. The graphics were very nice, but did the 7800 need another over-complicated simulation game? Look at Ace of Aces or F-14, the 7800 needed more buttons for that kind of stuff. This is what happens when most of your games are computer ports :P

Tempest

It wasn't there. I don't know if it actualyl exists or not, but the DP guys kept hinting at it (of course they were also joking about Surround II which I finally go tthem to admit does not exist). So who knows if it will show up at the CGE?

I seriously doubt that it could be made, I doubt the 2600 could handle than many moving items. Even the arcade version had slow down problems. If it does exist it wold have to be seriously stripped down or some amazing feat of programming. Of course I didn't think Elevator Action for the 2600 could look as good as it did.

Tempest

Of course it could be made. Obviously it would be totally stripped down and would.. uhh to put it bluntly.. most likely suck. But that's part of the fun imho

Anyway if it is really a prototype then it probably would be barely playable if even that.

Getting an arcade perfect conversion these days for a home console is old hat.... getting a "2600/vcs" arcade conversion is another story. And although for every 2600 Stargate (cool!) there is a 2600 Amidar (peew)... it's all good

• 10 years later...

I know how old the thread is....but I figured they would still be doing them annually...like the TOOmany video games expo last month in PA.

Nope it's long gone. I believe the last official PhillyClassic was back in 2004.

Tempest

I know how old the thread is....but I figured they would still be doing them annually...like the TOOmany video games expo last month in PA.

Nope it's long gone. I believe the last official PhillyClassic was back in 2004.

Tempest

2004 is correct.

Oh ok...damn that sux they stopped doing them.

Hopefully Toomany video games expo will re-appear in the fall since I missed it last month due to a benefit I had to attend.

Philly Classic was way different than Toomany video games. Philly was strickly classic stuff. Toomany video games expo is more of a combo show of old and new stuff, weighing heavily on the newer side.

Allan