IGNORED

Virtual VCS for atari jaguar

Dragonforce-Europe

Carl stated in one mail that he's working on at least two Jag projects, but he wouldn't disclose them ;)

As far as I know he tried to license Total Carnage from Midway, without success. The same probably goes for Live Wire.

So the remaining two could be Virtual VCS and perhaps Dactyl Joust. I'm not sure about Robinson's Requiem, as this was sold to someone, some weeks ago. But as far as I remember, Carl had a copy of this one on one of the JagFests? Don't know...

But that's just what could be, perhaps it's something totaly different, he's working on :)

Hey Carl, what about giving us thirsting Jag Fans some hints :)

Hehe, I find it interesting that Infogrames was going to publish Alone in the Dark on the Jaguar and just a few years later, bought Atari alltogether!

yes thats werid but infogrames are such a pain in the ass.

I had a conversation with the programmer of amok. he loved doing a amok 2. but the rights has gone to atari now. :x they will do nothing with amok. those bastards! :x

Hehe, I find it interesting that Infogrames was going to publish Alone in the Dark on the Jaguar and just a few years later, bought Atari alltogether!

They should have jumped in back in 95, so perhaps we would have seen at least some more Jag titles :) - yeah, not really. The first thing they probably would have done is to scrap any Jag support.

Anyway, they just bought the name and licenses when they took over Hasbro Interactive. Atari will never be the same it once was...

They should have jumped in back in 95, so perhaps we would have seen at least some more Jag titles :) - yeah, not really. The first thing they probably would have done is to scrap any Jag support.

Anyway, they just bought the name and licenses when they took over Hasbro Interactive. Atari will never be the same it once was...

unless someone buys atari over :ponder:

I had a conversation with the programmer of amok. he loved doing a amok 2. but the rights has gone to atari now. :x they will do nothing with amok. those bastards! :x

How come? Did Lemon sell the whole rights for Amok to GT Interactive? As far as I remember, GT Interactive just had the rights for the PC-Version, as the Saturn version was published by Sega / Koei!?

How come? Did Lemon sell the whole rights for Amok to GT Interactive? As far as I remember, GT Interactive just had the rights for the PC-Version, as the Saturn version was published by Sega / Koei!?

gt interactive went bankrubt and were bought by hasbro 9if memory serves) and then it was bought by atari again. sad news.

I can do a amok 2. but just a pc version. no jag version.

gt interactive went bankrubt and were bought by hasbro 9if memory serves) and then it was bought by atari again. sad news.

I can do a amok 2. but just a pc version. no jag version.

Yeah, I know that GT int. went down the drain and the remaining outlets and licenses were bought by Infogrames. But GT Int. had just the rights for the PC version of the game, as the Saturn version was published by Sega in Europe and Koei in Japan. I remember speaking to someone of the Lemon / Scavenger Crew on E3 96 - they had a shitload of games on display (and an excellent booth - more like a techno party ;) - however, this guy told me that they were still looking for publishers and would license games per-title only!?

Or do you mean that Atari/Infogrames have the code and possibility to do an "Amok 2" but won't do it as they don't see any general interest in this product? If you are allowed to do an "Amok 2" on PC, the same probably should go for any console version!?

i emailed atari some times but never got a reply to it. so i just dont care bout them. (atari)

the source was lost unfortunatly. as was everything, since it was a time when cds were very expensive.

what i ment was that i can make a pc version but i dont have the skills yet to do a jaguar version.

if anyone here has interest in a amok 2. than i could probally finally lift my lazy ass and finally do something thats worth it :ponder:. since i havent programmed for 2 years now :roll:

i emailed atari some times but never got a reply to it. so i just dont care bout them. (atari)

the source was lost unfortunatly. as was everything, since it was a time when cds were very expensive.

what i ment was that i can make a pc version but i dont have the skills yet to do a jaguar version.

if anyone here has interest in a amok 2. than i could probally finally lift my lazy ass and finally do something thats worth it :ponder:. since i havent programmed for 2 years now :roll:

Yeah, Atari/Infogrames, as well as other "big" companies won't bother with anything related to licenses or doing updates of old games, when asked by private persons or fans (ok, there are some exceptions, but in general those companies just don't care)...

But as stated above, if memory serves right, Atari probably won't have any rights to "Amok 2" (don't take this as a guarantee ;) ).

Sure, if you can do an update to Amok, I'd love to see it. Played the first one for ages on the Saturn, even if it was too difficult in later stages. But everything else, from graphics to music to general presentation was so cool....

great! i will contact jesper kyd immidiatly bout the music :)

try this:

XBABYX = invincible

ZZZCYX = level select

YAYAYA = Rapid fire

This will work on the sega saturn.

i have also asked sega bout amok and schorcher source code (would love to bring it to teh community)

Thanks - know those codes and used them way back to get through the game :)

Scorcher had a very nice design, as well, unfortunately gameplay was a little bit boring (and too difficult, again ;) ). Anyway, very dark and stylish atmosphere.

Concerning the music: yeah and ask him if he can't arrange to get some of the tracks they played at their booth (as if he would remember ;) ) - these were rocking...

However, good luck on your project(s)...

I do own the source and rights to Virtual VCS on the Jaguar. When I first got the source a few years back, it didn't even compile due to bugs in the code! So I spent a number of hours working on it, just so I could get it assembled again and insert Songbird coypright info in the boot sequence.

I'm no expert on emulating the 2600, so since then the project has stalled. You can move the player sprites around, and some of the backgrounds are displayed, but there is no collision and no audio.

I do own the source and rights to Virtual VCS on the Jaguar. When I first got the source a few years back, it didn't even compile due to bugs in the code! So I spent a number of hours working on it, just so I could get it assembled again and insert Songbird coypright info in the boot sequence.

I'm no expert on emulating the 2600, so since then the project has stalled. You can move the player sprites around, and some of the backgrounds are displayed, but there is no collision and no audio.

Carl, is it true that two people were working on 2600 emulators at the same time? I know that there is source and working code on the Atari HQ CD, but I believe it is different than your project?

Carl, is it true that two people were working on 2600 emulators at the same time?  I know that there is source and working code on the Atari HQ CD, but I believe it is different than your project?

I wrote the 6502 core part of Virtual VCS (runs on Tom), and although we heard that those at Atari who saw it were impressed, they kept stalling on our contract to finish it. We later found out that Atari had long-time employee Dave Staugas working on an emulator too. Dave never finished his either, but it explains why Atari kept putting us off.

I'm not sure why it didn't compile when you got it, Carl. Sorry about that.

-Bry

Yes, my understanding is that Atari was working internally on a VCS emulator, but no idea how far along it was. Virtual VCS was an outside project that never got funded. :( It was started by Temporary Sanity Designs.

Cool, thanks for the info. Any chance someone from the 2600 Programming World could help get the project off the ground for you?

Bryan: No problem, don't even give it a second thought! I was thrilled to actually be able to acquire the code in the first place; sorry if it sounded like I was complaining. I think there was an interrupt handler missing, once I spent an evening or two on it, I stepped through the code and figured out what was going wrong, and voila! it was fixed. :D

Jason: Sure, maybe you can convince Bryan to finish what he started? ;) Seriously, I would love to have help (read: LOTS of help) on this, as I just don't see myself plunging into learning the guts of yet another system.

hmmm how many 2600 roms can fit on a Jag Cart?

Umm... all of them? :)

(at least all that matter)

@Songbird

We may have been adding something new when we abandoned it, which would explain the issue. :) Oh well. I don't really think I want to work on it personally, but Damien and I might be able to help someone with some background info.

-Bry

hmmm how many 2600 roms can fit on a Jag Cart?

Umm... all of them? :)

(at least all that matter)

@Songbird

We may have been adding something new when we abandoned it, which would explain the issue. :) Oh well. I don't really think I want to work on it personally, but Damien and I might be able to help someone with some background info.

-Bry

The Ultimate Multi-Cart! :love: