IGNORED

BMX Airmaster by TXT

Joel D. Park

Hi,

I picked up a BMX Airmaster cart for the 2600 and I seem to have some trouble getting it to play on my 6 switch atari.

When I hit the fire button it seems ot reset the Atari. If I do the same stuff on my 4 switch it works fine.

Is this a common problem with this game??

Thanks,

Joel D. Park

Joel,

That is possible. There are known issues with several of the newer Atari games which came out during the revival years and the older 6 switches. For instance Centipede messes up on the title graphic on a Six switcher..but works fine on everything else. Or...do I have that backwards...?

Either way...it isn't uncommon for a few of the newer 2600 titles to have compatibility problems on the older 6 switchers.

CB_Sig.gif

I have a game Felix Return, is the same as Bobby goes home. This work not on my Atari Jr. but it work great on the Atari 7800.

And I have some NTSC games they flicker on the Atari Jr., not all, but on the Atari 7800 they work great too. The NTSC games have then only other colors, but they work.

Matthias

Matty,

Not sure about the game you listed and the 2600 Junior. I never had a 2600 JR...only the 4 switch version 1st..back in 82...then later I got the 6 switcher (Heavy Sixer made in 77) just a few months ago. I only have one game that rolls. I at first thought it was a compatibility problem with my 7800. But it rolls also on my Heavy sixer...so..I must have a pal version of Wizard of Wor. Oh well. I can't adjust the vhold easily on the TV so I have gotten used to playing it with my eye jumping up and down!!!

JoseQ's EmuViews (Emulation news and Reviews on arcades and the vintage console classics!)

CB_Sig.gif

I guess it's nice ot know I'm not the only person with this problem. I thought my 2600 was fried.

I have an original heavy-sixer Sunnyvale 2600. It seems to work fine for most games, but it has problems with a few (mostly protos):

Wall Ball - Doesn't let you move and the game starts by itself.

Sabeteur - Everytime I push the fire button it resets. some other things are messed up too.

Ms. Pac-Man - My prototype (not the production cart) goes crazy.

There were some others that I can't think of right now.

I haven't tried BMX Airmaster but I'll give it a shot when I get home. All of the above games worked fine on my 7800. I ended up searching for one of those early model 7800's that play everything (except the Compumate as I just found out). I guess I can't get rid of my 2600 afterall.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

I haven't tried BMX Airmaster but I'll give it a shot when I get home. All of the above games worked fine on my 7800. I ended up searching for one of those early model 7800's that play everything (except the Compumate as I just found out). I guess I can't get rid of my 2600 afterall.

Tempest

Speaking of your Compumate: I saw your message on the Digital Press message board and tried to reply, but their system seemed to be down at that time.

If your Compumate isn't working at all in your 7800, it might be because you haven't connected the cart or the keyboard properly. The Compumate constantly checks for it's keyboard, and if it doesn't find one, it goes into a dead loop and only displays a blank screen.

If your Compumate is working, but the BASIC RUN command always gives you an error message, that's because of a programming bug in the Compumate BASIC. This strangely enough doesn't have an effect on a 2600, but on my PAL 7800 I can't get any BASIC programs to work.

BTW, the RAM in the Compumate is only 2K big. And of this 256 bytes get used for the text display in BASIC mode, so that you only have 1.75K for your own program.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

That could be the problem. I actually got it hooked up but the cords going to the joystick ports were very tight (they bearly reach) and I didn't want to break the wires. How did you hook it up to your system? Are the PAL 7800's shaped differently?

I could of sworn it said 16K on the box, maybe that was for something else or for all the programs together. Hmm... your not going to do much with 1.75K.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

That could be the problem. I actually got it hooked up but the cords going to the joystick ports were very tight (they bearly reach) and I didn't want to break the wires. How did you hook it up to your system? Are the PAL 7800's shaped differently?

No, I think PAL 7800 are shaped exactly like NTSC ones. But if you carefully route the left cable by the left side of the cart and the right cable by the right side of the cart, you should be able to reach the controller ports with the plugs. You could also try to open up your 7800 and operate the Compumate on the bare board. I tried that when I was trying to figure out what the problem with the RUN command was, just to be sure it wasn't the cables.

BTW the 16K figure is for the size of the Compumate ROM, which holds the BASIC interpreter, the paint program and the music editor.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

• 9 years later...