IGNORED

Games with Midi

This idea was tried with some late '80s games but damned if I can remember them, I think they were of the graphic adventure variety. On a similar subject, anyone remember B.A.T. II and its MV-16 sound cartridge? I always wanted that game for the sound, never got it.

I should have realized that Sierra's SCI0 games would use the midi port in the Atari ST as they would have used an MPU-401 Intelligent Midi Interface Card in a PC. Of course, the midi is limited to one module, the legendary Roland MT-32. Someday, when I can either afford a Roland MT-32 or the Roland MT-32 driver is completed, I will enjoy the Atari ST Sierra SCI games a lot more.

Marble Madness and Gold of the Realm also outputted MIDI.

I wish more games could have used MIDI for music. Anyone who has heard the excellent music from the Sierra SCI games via a Roland MT32 are impressed. I have all the Sierra SCI games and sometimes I just like to load up certain parts of the games for their memorable music sequences. :) :music:

I just looked at Ebay and MT32s are only going for $50-$80. That's a bargain! What are you talking about an "incomplete driver?" The driver that comes with the games work fine. :?

The Ultima games have MIDI, sounds great! I'm listening to my cassette copy of Ultima III MIDI as I type this!  

This is fascinating, but I have some questions:

How do you configure the Ultimas for midi instead of YM2149? (The Sierra titles use an install program)

Which particular Ultimas (besides 3 4, 5 and 6 were released for the ST) support midi?

Did you use the original disks? (Only the Automation and Medway Boys CDs are available on the net)

What type of midi synthesizer did you use?

• 1 month later...