IGNORED

Sony: Playing favorites and screwing customers

Jess Ragan

I understand this is a revelation to you to see this so boldly put, but a LOT of gamers have had this inkling for years. Look at the PC game market - the innovative products all but dried up. You now get a non finished game which if it may sell well, you'll get a patch which might finish the game(if you're lucky).

It actually sounds like Sony is slipping into the position that Nintendo was in years ago.

- Totally dominating the console sales charts - despite underpowered performance

- Alienating third party publishers

- Giving the gamers an excuse to look else where

- Forgetting about the innovation that got them there

I think the next wave of console sales will be interesting.

Wow. A group of Sony-haters, eh?

Well I'm an owner of a PS2 and PS1 and I disagree on many points supposedly being made in here.

The PS2 does have great games that aren't all about the graphics. Anyone tried a beast called GTA3? The graphics aren't perfect, but the gameplay is more than better in my opinion. How about the Syphon Filter series?

I do agree that they could put out more quality games though.

Just don't rag on something until you've owned/played it. :)

It actually sounds like Sony is slipping into the position that Nintendo was in years ago.  

- Totally dominating the console sales charts - despite underpowered performance

Took me a second to realize what you were talking about...you mean Gameboy, right? That's not a console. NES was better than other consoles around then, on par with the SMS at least, SNES was a tie ('cause of a late start) with Genesis, and since then they've been trailing Sony, despite (IMO) having better hardware than them.

- Alienating third party publishers

That might be the big one. Especially because that's all Sony has got!

- Giving the gamers an excuse to look else where  

- Forgetting about the innovation that got them there

These are both pretty subjective.

Being a long time sony (well, sony console) supporter, this makes me really pissed. The online flash community called newgrounds.com (you probably know about it) is releasing a game that is 2D of one of the best flash games made, Alien Hominoid. It plays like Metal Slug (and they cancelled Metal Slug.... hmmm) so now this wont be put out on PS2. I dont think I'm going to buy the next PS after hearing about this. Such a shame too.

We all seem to be asuming this information is true....

but what about things like midway arcade treasures?

I guess the games with good graphics will sell better to teens and casual buyers (un-informed). I wonder if this group make up the majority of game purchases.

I am still not convinced this information is true, but I am sure that Sony would highly recommend that any game should look as good as it possibly can. The obvious reason would be Cube and especially Xbox games just simply look better (draw distance, lighting effects, bump mapping etc etc etc).

It's sad but I kind of see why they're doing it. A lot of people will walk into a store, look at the screenshots on the box rear, and buy based largely on that.

Have Prince of Persia and BG& E been failiures? I know they're not the kind of games to sell millions on preorder, but I think the industry is blind to the 'sleeper' hits. These are both good, intelligent games that will spread by word of mouth, the 'Shawshank Redemption's of the gaming world, I think.

I got this information from Zach Meston, professional video game journalist and former Working Designs employee:

---

I chatted with a third-party publisher about Sony.  I won't reveal my friend's name or company, but suffice to say it's a smaller organization. What he told me about Sony's current "concept approval" process blew my mind. Among other things:  

* SCEA now rejects any 2D game out of hand.  

* Gameplay does not, in any way, enter into the process, but graphics are all-important. My friend was quite literally told this: a gorgeous game that plays like dogshit will be approved, and a fantastic game that looks like dogshit will not be approved.  

* My friend's company had almost completely localized the PS2 sequel to a successful PS1 game, thinking its approval was a no-brainer, but SCEA rejected it.  

* SCEA is about to publish a new set of concept-approval guidelines to make its idiotic priorities clearer to third-party publishers, because companies are desperately trying to figure out what Sony is thinking.  

As if it wasn't already obvious: SCEA doesn't give two shits about hardcore gamers. And unfortunately, the sales charts back up its position. My friend bemoaned the fact that no one, himself included, can figure out how to sell non-sequel, non-tie-in, non-GTA clones on the PS2. The utter failure of Beyond Good and Evil and the underperformance of The Sands of Time have the entire industry freaked out.  

I am, as of today, officially a Sony-hater.  

-- Z.

---

With all this in mind, why would anyone in their right minds support Sony and its Playstation 2?

JR

Honestly?

I've gotten the impression that this was Sony's policy all along, and good games got out in spite, not because, of Sony's policies.

The only diffrence is it's in writing now.

We all know this is total BS. Look at the PS and PS2 libraries. They have hundreds of games that are sub-par on many different levels. They flood their ow market to ensure that the casual gamer will go for their system, because it seems to offer the most variety. They won't give up the top spot for the sake of graphics. It is fact that the GC and the Xbox offer games that visually stunning as compared to the PS2, however that has not enabled either system to overtake the PS2 in sales. Sony is in no way threatened by either Microsoft or Nintendo, and that's a fact. They don't have to make concessions or sacrafices. Maybe in 2005 things will be different, but as things stand right now, they've got nothing to worry about.

Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't like all of that to be true, that I wouldn't like to see the gaming industry as a whole take things to a whole other level, but I'll be satisfied as long as I continue to be able to find incredible games like Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil. I'd rather be in the select few, than the insipid masses.....

I am not surprised at all if the alleged practices were true. Sony it's a business and they will make money no matter what. Konami might get away with DDR but then again it's Konami. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their evaluation standards were looser on Big Game Co. and stricter on Joe Game Co.

It is refreshing to see Sony being picked on once in a while so keep it going!

Zach Meston is a respected video game journalist. Take what he says seriously, he's got alot of connections.

That said, sounds like the company in question is SNK-Metal Slug 3 is a sequel of PS1's MSX, after all.  

Sucks that's how it is.

Yea isn't that coming to the Xbox?

Zach Meston is a respected video game journalist. Take what he says seriously, he's got alot of connections.

That said, sounds like the company in question is SNK-Metal Slug 3 is a sequel of PS1's MSX, after all.  

Sucks that's how it is.

Yea isn't that coming to the Xbox?

Yeah, it's really win win for snk. Their games get on ps2 in japan, and get on xbox here. Since Xbox is alot more popular over here, there's no problem with releasing games over here.

I won't be surprised in the least if the PS2 version of "Killer 7" from Capcom is Japan only, and any outside will have to get the Cube version.

It's already been confirmed for Europe apparently, but not yet for the US.

So what you are saying is I may have to borrow a GC if I want to play this game? It really does look awesome, but I will just wait and see.

For those wondering, it looks like the smallcompany was Agetec and the game that was cancelled was Shadow Tower Abyss.

From Insert Credit:

Agetec has announced via their bbs that Sony has shot down their plans to release From Software's Shadow Tower Abyss in the US. Their reasons are:

1. When comparing STA to other 1st shooters it failed in the graphics department 2. Due to the nature of the gameplay – they felt that there is no market for it in the US

Shadow Tower Abyss is a first person shooting fantasy RPG, and a sequel to Shadow Tower on the PSX. Agetec is currently considering releasing the english text for free, so that english speakers may play the import properly. Thanks to Jiji for the news.