IGNORED

5200 POWERS UP WITH PICTURE BUT CAN'T PLAY GAMES

taxman

I just got a 5200 4 port console and it powers up where I can see a good clear picture on the screen, but I cannot play the games. I am guessing it is because the start button on the controllers are no longer working so I will have to get those fixed.

The other concern is over whether or not the sound works. The games I tried are silent. Are there games where you will hear sound along with the intro screen without actually starting the game?

I went through all the games I had and found that Star Raiders has a star field that produces a travelling through space sound, so I think it is OK with respect to sound. Now the controllers... I may have to take up getting a rebuilt one from you.

Is there a way I can simulate the start button with a Y-cable and 2600 keypad controller?

Take a very thin screwdriver and pop off the frame that surrounds the start/pause/reset buttons. Take a white eraser and clean all of the contacts. Give it a try and if it works properly pop the frame back in. Chances are that if your start buttons aren't working your fire buttons will need a similar treatment. A rebuilt controller is a good idea long-term and so is a set of gold buttons. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem and erasing the flex circuit helped for a week or so but then it was just back to not working. My fire buttons were also extremely hard to operate.

I got a few of MrRetroGamers controllers and they are amazing... I'm having much more fun with my 5200 after getting them. If you plan on playing much at all its well worth the cost.

I got a few of MrRetroGamers controllers and they are amazing... I'm having much more fun with my 5200 after getting them.  If you plan on playing much at all its well worth the cost.

Thanks Steve! 8) I always appreciate a happy customers recommendation!

I might add that I am also having much more fun with my 5200 these days after getting one of classics Atari 5200 128 in 1 multicarts! :D These carts are also well worth the cost considering all the games that you get with them!

I have just received my first 5200 ever, and haven't even had the chance to try it out yet, but...

If you do believe that it is the controller(s) at fault, you might want to visit the website for Best Electronics, which sell upgrade kits for the 5200 controllers.

No, I am in no way affiliated with Best. And yes, I am struggling with my own controller difficulties. I have simply heard that their gold-contact upgrade can dramatically boost the responsiveness and lifetime of your 5200 sticks.

To me,it's worth trying out. And I'll probably be ordering two sets before the sun rises. Just thought I'd chip in my two cents' worth. Best of luck with your controllers!

Max

I have... I think 5 sticks I should sell to a rebuilder.

But I'm a packrat. The thought of parting with my babies makes me sad.

Never mid that 2 of my babies have cracked, torn, faded fire buttons, MASSIVELY miscalibrated pots and permanently damaged circuit traces(actually, 3 suffer from this).