IGNORED

Best 3rd-party controller

Max-T

Hello, everyone, sorry to bother you again with yet another dumb newbie question.

The only controllers I have for my 2600 are the original Atari sticks, and an old thing called the Slik Stik that I've had for twenty years. It must be my advanced age catching up to me, but I swear, after 30-45 minutes of using either controller, my hand starts to hurt quite badly, mostly in the thumb joints (especially when playing shooters).

I've heard a lot of good thing about the WICO controllers. I've also heard the Sega Genesis (MegaDrive) controllers will work with a 2600.

So I'm just looking for suggestions as to which controller you guys think is the most comfortable for gaming in long stretches.

I wish, I wish that some hardware genius would make an item like the Redemption boxes, but one that would let us use Playstation controllers with the Atari. I have a PSX-to-USB box for play on my computer, so I'm sure it could be done for the 2600/7800.

But in the meantime, what are your favorite controllers?

Thanks for any tips. Again, sorry for a question which has probably been round and round this forum several times already. But thanks for taking the time.

max

When I was a kid my favorite was the Wico bat.

I had probably 4 different types of joysticks and had played with several others at my friends house, and the Wico Bats just seemed the most solid choice. Some people complain they are too big, and to be hosest I haven't used one recently (Even tho I have like 4) Currently I've just been using a commodore 64 controller I have similar to the standard Atari joystick, but a tad smaller with more of a rectangle base and one long assed button at the front.

So I'm just looking for suggestions as to which controller you guys think is the most comfortable for gaming in long stretches.

This is by far the most comfortable controller in long stretches. The fire button is in a perfect position underneath and the controller hugs your hand:

WicoMicro.jpg

It sure is a different experience, I think you lucked out on that one. That was the only one I ever had.

My favorites are the CompPro sticks for both the 2600 + 5200 and the other equally good one for the 2600 would be the Zipstick.

It sure is a different experience, I think you lucked out on that one. That was the only one I ever had.  

My favorites are the CompPro sticks for both the 2600 + 5200 and the other equally good one for the 2600 would be the Zipstick.

I'm psyched I won that one off you.

The ComPro is my favorite and the most comfortable 5200 controller although the Starcon is quickly gaining ground.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

If I could ever find A Tron stick, I'd snap it up in an instant, even if it did make me develop carpal tunnel syndrome. It is just too cool.

But it sounds like everyone pretty much agrees that the Wico is a good controller. Hope i can find one for a reasonable price.

Your advice, as always, is most appreciated.

Max

I am very envious of that Tron joystick. Even if it sucked to control, it is far too flashy to not lust over. *drool*

For the most part I use a Genesis arcade joystick when I am playing my Atari. But different games require different controllers. I use my footpedal controller as much as possible without being ridiculous. Of course it is great for Thrust and I've used it with This Planet Sucks, but I also use it with Midnight Magic for the plunger, and plug in my paddles to control the flippers. Great fun! I bought a red funky Quickshot II joystick to use with Starfire. I have a brand new Suncom Tac II controller that is quite nice for most games, but the Genesis arcade stick seems the most comfortable.

If someone has an extra Tron joystick (in good working and cosmetic condition) I'd be interested in buying it off of you. ;-)

You guys who are using Sega controllers with your 2600s... will the big "arcade pro" style Genesis/Megadrive controllers work too? You know, the ones that are kind like a tabletop design, with an 8-way stick and aracde-size buttons? Cause I think I could find one of those in town without too much problem.

Well, thanks again!

Max

You guys who are using Sega controllers with your 2600s... will the big "arcade pro" style Genesis/Megadrive controllers work too?  You know, the ones that are kind like a tabletop design, with an 8-way stick and aracde-size buttons?  Cause I think I could find one of those in town without too much problem.

Well, thanks again!

Max

I have that big controller that you mentioned. I have not tried it with my 2600 but I see no reason why it could not work. I might try it later on and let you know if it works.

I wish, I wish that some hardware genius would make an item like the Redemption boxes, but one that would let us use Playstation controllers with the Atari. I have a PSX-to-USB box for play on my computer, so I'm sure it could be done for the 2600/7800.

I've done just that, actually. The final parts are somewhere in the Fedex system right now and should be arriving early next week. My wife will be so thrilled when I move the rest of the pieces out of the laundry room.

The first batch will be sold at the LUCKI Spring Commodore Expo in Louisville on Memorial Day weekend, where it was first demo'ed a year ago (see what you miss when you don't come to these shows? :)). After that, I'll set up some kind of site for web orders, and maybe look into some kind of partnership with Atariage or something.

I've been keeping it low-key as other commitments (work, family, night school) have caused me to push the release date back several times and I don't want to be accused of making vaporware. There's too much of that in the classic computing world these days as it is.

The working name is "ASPeCT", the Atari-Style to Playstation Controller Translator. If anyone has a better name, I'm open to suggestions. In fact, PLEASE suggest something. That extra "e" in the middle is really annoying. It makes the whole name sound contrived.

Pics of the prototype can be found at http://www.csixty4.com/aspect.html. Expect the production version to look a HELL of a lot better than that prototype, though. I've soldered & re-soldered those wires so many times that the copper separated from the board on almost all of the holes and I ended making solder bridges to the actual traces. *shudder*

The final version will (hopefully) cost $25-30. As a bonus...actually, I'm hoping it's one of the big selling points...there will be a 4-pin programming header for use with an SX-Key or compatible programming cable. The firmware will be open source (haven't decided on a license yet) so people can add features if they want. The base firmware will have a single fire button (the X button) and turbo fire (the O button) plus anything else I can cram into it before the Spring Expo.

I'm pretty sure that all the sega SMS and mega drive/genesis controllers work, but only one buton fires.

I have no idea about Atari products, but these controllers have been rumored to damage C64s when the additional buttons are used. There's supposed to be a fix (adding a resistor) but I never looked into it too deeply as I prefer Playstation controllers (of course!) or Epyx 500's.

You guys who are using Sega controllers with your 2600s... will the big "arcade pro" style Genesis/Megadrive controllers work too?  You know, the ones that are kind like a tabletop design, with an 8-way stick and aracde-size buttons?  Cause I think I could find one of those in town without too much problem.

Well, thanks again!

Max

Yes.

They work exactly the same as a gamepad. If they didn't, they'd be useless because you couldn't play most games with them.

Wouldn't this work? I don't have one - don't care for the playstation or its joysticks, but it would seem to me that this should work...?

I imagine it would, although I've never tried it. In fact, I almost abandoned my project when I found out it existed. But, I think I can do it better, although they've got me in terms of appearance. Something about translucent purple just makes me all...ooooooooh. :)

Wouldn't this work? I don't have one - don't care for the playstation or its joysticks, but it would seem to me that this should work...?

I imagine it would, although I've never tried it. In fact, I almost abandoned my project when I found out it existed. But, I think I can do it better, although they've got me in terms of appearance. Something about translucent purple just makes me all...ooooooooh. :)

Can you make your device support dual-analog -> paddle emulation or supporting the extra buttons via Booster Grip emulation?

Currently I've just been using a commodore 64 controller I have similar to the standard Atari joystick, but a tad smaller with more of a rectangle base and one long assed button at the front.

I've been using the same C64 controller for the past month or so. It still makes my hand hurt, but not as much as the standard Atari joystick.