IGNORED

2600 Clear and Colored Cases in AA Store

Albert

While at PhillyClassic 5 this past weekend, I had the opportunity to pick up some clear and colored cartridge housings. Yesterday I made two cartridges using these shells, and have decided to start offering them as an option in the AtariAge store next week. You'll be able to easily select clear, blue, and red cartridge housings for an additional $2.50 for most of the homebrew games and hacks we sell.

I personally prefer the opaque labels we presently use, as the artwork is not obscured by the cartridge, and the white backside of the label makes the contents stand out more when you flip the cartridge over. Also, the new, red Pixels Past PCBs look really slick in the clear cartridge housings, as the pictures below demonstrate. I do not have any red cases yet, but here are pictures of how the clear and blue cases look.

Climber 5:

Clear_Climber5_front.jpg

Clear_Climber5_back.jpg

Seawolf:

Blue_Seawolf_front.jpg

Blue_Seawolf_back.jpg

I'll post some additional pictures once the order of cartridge shells arrives.

..Al

• Like 1

Hi there!

That Seawolf looks fantastic!  :thumbsup:

I'm very happy how it turned out. The blue was chosen specifically to match Davids fantastic label artwork :D

BTW: To avoid any confusion, the game is not ready yet and at this very moment it is also not approved to become a Xype release. David accidently put the logo in per default.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

That Seawolf looks fantastic!  :thumbsup:

I'm very happy how it turned out. The blue was chosen specifically to match Davids fantastic label artwork :D

I agree, I was quite eager to return home and apply a Seawolf label to the cartridge to see how it'd look! I should have mentioned it above, but all copies of Seawolf will ship with this blue cartridge. :)

..Al

• Like 1

They look drop-dead gorgeous! :thumbsup:  

Now I am wondering if Thrust should sold in clear cases too. But then I would break my "final version" promises, wouldn't I? :?

If anybody objects, I will stick with the black cases.

And now for something completely different.

Sell it with a two-toned case. Red Top/Clear Bottom, Clear Top, Black Bottom...etc.... The possibilities are endless..

i would argue if the label artwork is patterned after an atari standard, then the cart should be black to match, but the seawolf cart looks outstanding :)

I agree that it is unusual to see an Atari-style label on a clear cartridge, but I think Climber 5 looks good. Most of the labels that are created for the games we sell do not follow the Atari "guidelines" and are better suited for the clear/blue/red carts. However, Climber 5 might work well in a red cart, given the use of red on the label, but I don't have the red cases yet to try this just yet.

I believe most people will still opt to buy the opaque, black cartridges, but having a choice is a good thing. People are free to continue ordering games as normal and by default they will get the black carts unless they go out of their way to select one of the other options available.

..Al

Personally, I like seeing the homebrew carts in these style casings. They're bloody gorgeous for one, and the fact that they'd be used with homebrews would simply add to the uniqueness -- almost a "next-gen" look to go with the fact that these are certainly "next-gen" games on a classic console. :-)

how about a new case for your atari console?  be like the N64- new colors for the console... I think that would be cheap to make..
Theres a site with better instructions, I don't remember where it is. it went like this:

1. Make a hollow rectangle big enough to put the object in.

2. Pour plaster of paris half way up the rectangle and put half the object in (make it non-stick with pam or somthing).

3. Let it set and harden, and return and pam up the exposed surface (non-stick!) and pour the rest of the plaster and let it dry and set.

4. After drying and setting, take off the paper retangle and hopefully the plaster of paris molds will seperate.

5. Remove the object.

6. Make a hole big enough in a non-descript area where you can pour the resin/plastic into, and spray pam all over the inside of the mold (not sure).

7. You put the paper back on to make sure that the molds are lined up exactly the way they should, and pour in the resin/plastic. (not sure about that)

8. Let the plastic set and harden, and return and seperate the molds, and the clear plastic (or whatever color your chose) should be like the origanal.

9. Trim away any excess and enjoy!

I'm not sure about how to do screw posts. That should work, I think. You could try vaccume molding also (search on Google).

• Like 1

Hi there!

Whats up with Manuel's name change. Will carts with "Polik" be ultra-rare collectables now :D

Haha, not yet. They are still sold with "Manuel Polik" on the label. :)

Awesome. I had no idea that this was actually going to happen. Very impressed

Yup!

Hey, once we're writing the manual we're definitely in need of a disclaimer like:

No common cartridges were injured or killed during the making of this production.

:lolblue:

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Hey, once we're writing the manual we're definitely in need of a disclaimer like:

No common cartridges were injured or killed during the making of this production.

Actually, it's just like giving them a heart transplant, breathing new life into them. :)

Brain exchange? :twisted:

Nah, Dave and I just like hiding silly jokes.

(Anyone noticed the "Scramble Effect" in the Star Fire manual? :lol: )

Greetings,

Manuel