IGNORED

riddle of sphinx--what was the solution?

cinfyl

Hi,

I used to LOVE playing Riddle of the Sphinx as a kid. I could play for hours. I would solve all the puzzles but once I got to the final temple, nothing happened. What was the point/solution to the game? What was supposed to happen?

How funny to see this?!

I just won an ebay auction for this game CIB for $5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=1250482435

Hmmm..well..I just won that on Monday and it has already been removed from their database.

Sorry about that.

I have only played it in emulation as I don't even remember seeing it as a kid. Even if I had I wouldn't have figured it out.

But in answer to the original question when you get the final temple depending on what game level you play. The game will either just end and I think go to a darker shade on the screen...or simply just play some tune.

If your playing a more difficult level then you need to get the staff of Ra I believe to offer the temple before you can complete it.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

This is a spoiler for anyone who actually cares to go through the game and never figured it out.

My take on it (unfortunately after I'd submitted my answer for the contest they had for it) was that to get the staff you had to go to that first oasis, the one that was south of where you start the game, right? Well, to drink at an oasis, you have to kneel, or get on all fours like you're crawling.

Then you walk through the game and complete your puzzles.

At the end you're done, kinda like you're old and retiring, so you use the cane to complete your quest.

So, it's kinda like the real riddle of the sphinx:

What's got 4 legs at birth, 2 during its life, and 3 when it gets old? (or something like that)

Think they meant it to be similar that way by making the staff appear at an oasis?

-Z

Zek

Interesting...I always wondered what that contest was about. I guess I will find out more when I actually get my CIB Riddle of the Sphinx next week. Hehe...

Speaking of this game...I have seen auctions for it on Ebay, Yahoo etc...were the manual was in BW and in Color? Anybody know the story behind that?

Riddle of the Sphynx was one of my brother's and I's first games we got. I had forgotten about it. We used to play it alot.. Play on the second level so you can't pass a building without giving it the correct item.

I remember the manual has clues to what each of the building want, like the temple of isis need the crown and stuff.. It's really a detailed game, and one of my favorites from way back.

By the way, if you are trying to play without the manual, one clue is that you have to use a second joystick in port 2 to move around thought your inventory. To use the Shovel to dig you actually have to hold the button in on the other joystick, while the shovel is selected. It's almost a 2 player game..

Speaking of this game, I sent off for the cheat page back then that you could get from Imagic. I have it around my house somewhere. I wanted to scan it in for my web site because it was in almost perfect condition, but I haven't been able to find it. I know it's around here somewhere encased in plastic.

If I can ever find it, does anyone want a scan of it?

• 13 years later...

Speaking of this game, I sent off for the cheat page back then that you could get from Imagic. I have it around my house somewhere. I wanted to scan it in for my web site because it was in almost perfect condition, but I haven't been able to find it. I know it's around here somewhere encased in plastic.

If I can ever find it, does anyone want a scan of it?

Yes! I'll put it online here if you send me a copy of it.

Thanks,

..Al

OK, I'll look for it some more. It has to be around here somewhere. I know I saw it sometime in the year 2000.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about all these years later, the Riddle of the Sphinx manual gave an address where you could get a rare treasure and I sent off for it back when the game was fairly new:

_

The Royal Astrologers clues, as they have been revealed here, tell the  Prince
all he needs to know--if he is clever and patient.  Even so, shortly after the
Son of Pharaoh embarked on his quest, the Astrologer when into a deep  trance.
he began to mumble.  An otherwise witless scribe took notes.  These  priceless
notes  contain  all the answers necessary to the Prince:  which  offerings  to
make at what temples--even where to seek the object that satisfies the  Temple
of  Ra.  If you despair of divining these answers yourself, or simply  wish to
possess so rare a treasure, write to:  Son of Thoth
                                       981 University Ave.
                                       Los Gatos, CA  95030

_

I never could find my original that was printed on tan or brownish paper. It has to be in a box somewhere, but I still can't find it. The good news is that I was going through my manuals today and an extra Riddle of the Sphinx manual that came from a used batch of games that my uncle bought in the 1990s and gave to me has what seems to be a folded up photocopy of the same thing that I haven't been able to find yet. This folded up copy of the real thing that some stranger made long ago isn't in the greatest shape, but at least you can read it.

Here's the smaller resized version so it will fit on most screens:

post-13-0-93215200-1404974226_thumb.png

Here's the straight out of the scanner version in case you want the juicy bigness:

post-13-0-52393500-1404974212_thumb.png

And here is the text version:

SECRETS OF THE SPHINX

Imagic's team of Egyptologists has deciphered the papyrus scrolls recently discovered in the Valley of the Kings. The answers are now yours after a delay of a mere 22 centuries. We appreciate your patience. The next voice you hear will be that of a common scribe to the Royal Court of Egypt.

"Son of Thoth, witless scribe to Pharaoh's court, may tell now what before has not been known. These secrets of the Valley of the Kings have been revealed to me in a most curious fashion.

"The Royal Astrologer, greatest magician in the land, slipped into a deep trance. He shook his wizened head violently. He waved his arms. The sky grew dark. Water in his goblet boiled. Cats howled.

"Still in a trance, the Royal Astrologer grew quiet. He opened his eyes; they glittered. In a strange voice, he began to speak:

'Young Prince of Wiles, hear me! The answers to my clever clues I must give you, risking disfavor with the gods. Still, you must know!

* 'Offer a key at each of the three pyramids. You will receive a magical tablet.

* 'Offer the scroll to the flaming Phoenix. The Phoenix will bestow a key upon you.

Should your way still be blocked. offer next the tannis leaf.

* 'At the Temple of Isis, receive a key when you offer a crown. If Isis detains you, offer next the jug. Forge ahead.

* 'Even Anubis gives a gift. Gingerly offer the ankh at his temple. He will grudgingly give you a key. He may yet block your path. Offer the shield. Pass on!

* 'The inscrutable Sphinx will accept one of the three magical tablets you can have received at each of the 3 pyramids. You must offer the correct tablet. If not, the Sphinx may not allow you to proceed.

'Son of Pharaoh, will you have found that companion you rely and lean upon yet never think to call friend?'

"The Royal Astrologer sighed as deep as all the Ages. He continued."

'Supple warrior, Egypt's Hope--remember the staff! Only the staff earns Ra's delight. Offer the staff and Ra will accept your treasures as ample tribute.

'But where does the staff of Ra lie hidden, you wonder? Youth has much to learn! Not all journeys follow the shortest course. When your trek begins, move not forward but backward, away from your destination. An oasis will appear. Drink deeply there. When you touch the oasis, the staff of Ra will be yours. Guard it well. Guard it well. Guard it . . .'

"The Royal Astrologer's chin dropped to his chest. He slept deeply. He snored, and fell off his stool. I have left him there, and scribble these words like a man possessed. Will they ever be found? Will the secrets of the Valley of the Kings remain eternally chaste? Such knowledge yields great power. I must practice caution. Wait! Someone approaches . . . "

The hieroglyphics go no farther. They end abruptly, followed only by a small Cypher, penned by another hand.

It is the sign of Anubis.

Guard these secrets well!

I hope I'll find the actual thing that Imagic sent to me one day. It should be in much better condition than that folded up photocopy.

• Like 3

That's sweet.....I remember that mail in but I believe my parents wouldn't mail it out because we were always mailing out those mail aways for foam bricks, blue mouth gum, army mountain fortresses and woopie cushions from the back of old comics and they said enough already...haha

Edited by FikapPacMan

• 4 weeks later...

ROTS is In my top 5 Atari 2600 games ,absolutely loved it. I think it is massively underrated and like Raiders Of The Lost Ark at the time may of appeared too complex for people who were used to single button bashing, testament really to the genius of the programmers who were ahead of their time. I remember watching a school friend playing the game and messing about he decided to go down at the beginning to see what was there and that is how we both found the staff at the oasis :) , good memories.

• 9 years later...