IGNORED

Homestar Runner RPG Demo

Paul Slocum

I still plan on using the new 64K board since Joe took the time to design  a proto.  Although I'll probably fill up a bunch of full 4k banks with speech or fancy graphics data.

YES!!! Voice samples!!!

And I don't want to give the impression that I'm going to just throw together some sloppy H*R thing to be done with it.  I plan on doing something nice, polished, and fun.  Just a lot simpler and easier to program and test.  I've already discussed several ideas with Matt and I'll make a decision and announcement before too long.  I may need to program a proof of concept or two first.

Maybe a new crazy 2600 demo will make you guys feel better (attached)  ;)

That is one sweet demo . . .

I can't imagine Homestar RPG selling less than 1,000 copies... Standard homebrew royalties are $5 each, right?  It wouldn't exactly be non-lucrative at that rate...

I can only imagine how much time Paul has (and WOULD, to finish it) put into this project, but I find it highly doubtful that $5,000 would be a worthwhile return on his investment. He'd probably make more money if he spent that time bagging groceries.

I don't blame Paul at all for the decision he made. I don't think anyone has a right to judge him for it. And whatever happens, I just have to thank him for giving the world the Synthcart.

And if I have enough time in the near future to get my own pet projects off the ground, the next thing I plan to do is work on some Synthcart-based music. The Synthcart solo I played on Limitations of the System got me really excited about the musical possibilities of the 2600.

So if anyone in the classic gaming community does not deserve criticism for failing to deliver on promises, it's Paul. He's already given us more than anyone could have asked.

(I sure am eager to see those H*R mini-games though!!! :) )

I still plan on using the new 64K board since Joe took the time to design  a proto.

just out of curiosity, when are these boards available for purchase ?

We've already tested prototype boards, just a matter of ordering them. We weren't going to do this until Paul was ready with his game, but if there's interest we can order an initial batch now and add them to the AtariAge Store.

..Al

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I can't believe the crap that has been dished out for putting this game on hold! It's not like Paul said he was going to pick you guys up at the airport at noon and then didn't show up until 10PM because he was on a date with you little sister... or something.

The game looks awesome and should be worth the wait. And remember, as time passes, the potential for greatness can only increase. For example: maybe the game will support the AtariVox. If it came out in June, that wouldn't have been an option.

Right?

if/when any homestar related cartridges come out, i'm buying them REGUARDLESS of price.

and at which time i will also be in the market for a 2600 console.

i'm sure alot of other people feel the same way, & if hr.com sells them in their store, i think you would make a killing.

i love the way hr pays homage to the 2600

i consider myself lucky to have played the 2600 when it came out., we knew this would become the next big thing for bored kids, & even tho it was kinda cheezy, it had never been done before & it was just EXCITING to be playing the first videogames in the comfort of the living room.

(and not having to steal quarters from your sister)

blah..

to re-itterate

i LOVE homestarrunner

i LOVE 2600 nastalgia

take as long as you need, but please dont give up on this lucrative project, thanks! :love:

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

I really enjoyed playing with the Homestar Runner RPG demo (which works fine in Stella 1.4, unless I'm missing something), it brought back nice Apple II Ultima memories and generally wowed me that you were doing that on a 2600...it seems to me you must do a lot of design work ahead of time? How much is in your head and how much do you block/draw out?

Jacob

I spent a lot of time designing programming details on paper beforehand. Mainly mapping out the RAM usage. But if you mean the map design, I just designed that within the code. The map layout system is complicated, using fill commands and some random generation to make ROM usage very efficient. So it's not like you can just draw out a map on graph paper and then implement it exactly as is.

-paul

This has got to be one of the most advanced games for the Atari 2600 ever produced. Too bad we couldn't send Paul in a Time Machine back to the glory days of Atari. I magine what games would have come out then. Imagine watching old footage of Howard Scott Warshaw and Paul Slocum(back in the 80's) programming and partying at Atari headquarters.

Good luck with the game. I too am waiting for it's release.

This has got to be one of the most advanced games for the Atari 2600 ever produced. Too bad we couldn't send Paul in a Time Machine back to the glory days of Atari. I magine what games would have come out then. Imagine watching old footage of Howard Scott Warshaw and Paul Slocum(back in the 80's) programming and partying at Atari headquarters.

Don't forget to send an arseload of 27512s back with him. Back then, such big ROMs were prohibitively expensive.

• 2 years later...
Here's the latest Homestar RPG demo. There was a problem with the board at Philly Classic, so the one running there was the older demo from AGE. This one shows off some of the work we've done since then (new bigger tiles, bigger map, ability to move between different maps and enter some buildings, partially done inventory screen).

-paul

is this game still in the works?

-rick

If I remember right, Paul said it was just too much of an undertaking and was eating up a huge chunk of his time. It was supposed to be bigger than the first couple of Ultima games, and he was doing it all on his own. Shame. I got to play the demo at the first OVGE, and it was pretty cool.

• 2 months later...
If I remember right, Paul said it was just too much of an undertaking and was eating up a huge chunk of his time. It was supposed to be bigger than the first couple of Ultima games, and he was doing it all on his own. Shame. I got to play the demo at the first OVGE, and it was pretty cool.

Too bad. I'd buyt it too in a sec!