IGNORED

Game Idea: Super Smash Bros 2600

Gregory DG

chances are you would not have got it if you remember the one cart commotion  :D

No, no... he would have had as much chance as anyone, and SOMEONE had to win it. It's on the backburner; mucho other stuff with higher priority. Someone put me off by mentioning the flicker was annoying, so it's all your (the people) fault.

Who cares about flicker when you have two great looking human-like fighters on the screen. I got here after that whole section got locked down, so all I can do is read about it. Looked like a great game.

Edit- I just checked and that whole section is gone, so I guess I can't even read about it anymore :|

I've been thinking about "2600 Smash Bros".

(In fact, more realistically, I'm thinking of a game with a rather smash bros. mechanic with 4 players, but everyone's one of the squares from Adventure, and it's paddle controlled...)

There are 3 challenges:

-a 2600 game would probably have to be 2 player only for control reasons

-copyright issues? could we just use the characters? could we use the graphics and change the name (Mario = "the plumber", Pacman = "the eater" etc)

-creativity...how do you jam all these characters, each from very unique worlds, into one fighting paradigm? what animations do you add?

I was thinking a 4 player DC game, but w/ imported 2600 graphics might be more do-able, but still has issues 2 and 3 there....

I've been thinking about "2600 Smash Bros".

(In fact, more realistically, I'm thinking of a game with a rather smash bros. mechanic with 4 players, but everyone's one of the squares from Adventure, and it's paddle controlled...)

Maybe a game like sumo in Fuzion Frenzy. Don't know if you have ever played the game before, but the mechanics are simple and the concept would work very well on the 2600 IMHO. Now that I think about it, there are a bunch of games in fuzion frenzy that would work really well on the 2600 as mini games or even full games if fleshed out a little. I cant think of at least one that my family loves that would be great.

Maybe a game like sumo in Fuzion Frenzy. Don't know if you have ever played the game before, but the mechanics are simple and the concept would work very well on the 2600 IMHO. Now that I think about it, there are a bunch of games in fuzion frenzy that would work really well on the 2600 as mini games or even full games if fleshed out a little. I cant think of at least one that my family loves that would be great.

The biggest challenge is the control--I think, though cool in some apps, paddles are ultimately less fun than joysticks, so until someone comes out with a mulitap, that's going to be an issue-- and then the usual atari display limitations, where 4 objects and 4 missiles might produce mucho flicker or require other funkiness.