IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

I just played this the other day, and I'm not sure which version it was (late april I believe) anyways, this is very good.

The hotdogs do not quite act right, the egg and pickles seem kinda ok.  

If someone can deduce the algorithms for each of the enemies from the arcade let me know. It also seems to vary some on the arcade early in a level vs after a few minutes enemies seem more likely to always take a ladder vs go after you if you are on the same platform. I have it so theere is a 2/3 chance they will stay on the same level and a 1/3 chance they will take a ladder. If you step off onto a ladder they are not very likely to stay on the same platform. Currently in my version all the enemies on a speed go at the same speed and use the same logic.

The collision detection seems a little odd (compared to the arcade), but I would have to play the arcade for a while to figure out what it is that is off.

It does seem a little more strict on my version, epecially in the vertical. I have been considering loosing it up a little more. It is very hard (without getting killed) to lead an ememy up to a level if the level immediately below is about the distance of the height of the enemy. Hardware collision detection is not used and it is all done with bounding rectangles to I can adjust this as needed.

In the arcade if I remember your character will not pick up the extra pepper unless he is on a ladder.  Again I would have to verify.

Not sure on that would need to check.

At the end of the level the character waves his hands up and down in the arcade.  Can't remember if he actually jumps up and down.

Yep, he is supposed to raise both arms up and down.

Anyways it is alot of fun, a little more tweaking and it'd be perfect!

Thanks

I also just fired this up, and it's spectacular!

Just some questions:

How many colors is the 5200 limited to for games?

In this mode 4 colors plus background. Two of the colors cannot appear in the same block (in this case green and yellow I think). Each moving object can have one color (any of the 128). They are using a double wide missile behind each enemy to add the yellow color to blead through for the egg yolk, the chef's head, the hotdogs/pickle eyes. Unfornately this color has a background level priority can cause things to look a little weird when enemies (and the chef) overlap. Colors are changed top line and second line of the screen.

Also there no give to player contact with the ememies, touch anything bad yer dead...

There is actually a little give but not much. I have been considering loosing up the checks so the chef can overlap a little more with an enemy and not die.

I played for a while and thought it was great.

I'm an artist and wish I could program games like this..

Daniel

Okay...these later builds are very impressive...but even on my P4 - 2ghz system the new timings your using are making for a very slow game in the Atari800win plus emu. And the sounds are getting glitched up. I am blaming the emu on this..VS the game as I am sure it is fine on the real deal.

On the peppers, I had thought the arcade and the 2600 version actually base this on the number of enemies dropped while standing on burger parts...I know that I figured it out and was able to make peppers appear at will on the 2600 version and later was able to recreate it in Mame. Been a long while now but that was how I rememberd it.

The difficulty doesn't seem all that balanced between Easy and Medium. On Easy...I could almost never get killed...but on Medium I am lucky to get through all the levels now...

Speaking of...the levels are very well done and I really like the two new ones!

Unless there are legal issues...I suggest not changing the name at all. But if you have to...simply call it Burger Builder as Matt already suggested or Maybe Fast Burger or something to that degree...

hehe...Attack of the Killer Condoments!!! Sounds good to me...

When is this coming to Cart again?!

;)

I don't want to scare anybody, but I can tell you that changing the name doesn't protect you at all. They will generally get you on look and feel. This company made a bunch of clones for the PC and the whole "it's a different name" thing didn't fly with the boys down at Namco or Atari (JTS Corporation at the time). Of course, if they're not being sold for profit that may not provoke them into any legal action.

So, my vote is call it "Burger Time" and sell it for cost in low quantities, keeping it under the radar.

Good luck!!

I am still interested in any name sugestions:

My ideas so far have been:

Burger Drop

Burger Tyme (someone posted something similiar to this also)

Burger Babe (with changed graphics....well ok, probably not)

Chef Pete

There have also been some suggestions posted by others in this thread.

I am still interested in any name sugestions:

My ideas so far have been:

Burger Drop

Burger Tyme (someone posted something similiar to this also)

Burger Babe (with changed graphics....well ok, probably not)

Chef Pete

There have also been some suggestions posted by others in this thread.

Kenfused Condiments ;)

Here are some name suggestions:

Non (Centering) Stick Cooking with Pam *

Freaky Fried-Egg

Gour-maze

Griller Thriller

The Dangers of Super Sizing

Pam's Diner *

Two All Beef Patties Special Sauce Lettuce Cheese Pickles Eggs Weiners On A Sesame Seed Bun

Get A Long, Hot Doggies

'Tis the Seasoning

and of course, for the inevitable sequel where the main character gets a sex change...

Ms. Dash

JR

* extra nerdy in-jokes ahoy!

• Like 1

"The Incredibly Strange Foods That Got Shrunk And Became Mixed-Up Enemies"

Now, to me it seems that if the condiments are as big as me, and it takes me several seconds to walk across a burger patty, then nothing has been shrunk. The game should be called:

"You know it's time to lay off the crack when..."

-Bry

I don't want to scare anybody, but I can tell you that changing the name doesn't protect you at all.  They will generally get you on look and feel.  This company made a bunch of clones for the PC and the whole "it's a different name" thing didn't fly with the boys down at Namco or Atari (JTS Corporation at the time).  Of course, if they're not being sold for profit that may not provoke them into any legal action.  

So, my vote is call it "Burger Time" and sell it for cost in low quantities, keeping it under the radar.  

Good luck!!

Yeah but changing the name decreases the chances of it being discovered. :D

I agree with the comments about the font. I think it will add alot to the look of the game. It almost makes the game look like it was written in text mode (which I'm sure it was, but why be obvious?) ;)

Shannon wrote:  

I just played this the other day, and I'm not sure which version it was (late april I believe) anyways, this is very good.  

The hotdogs do not quite act right, the egg and pickles seem kinda ok.  

Kenfused wrote:

If someone can deduce the algorithms for each of the enemies from the arcade let me know. It also seems to vary some on the arcade early in a level vs after a few minutes enemies seem more likely to always take a ladder vs go after you if you are on the same platform. I have it so theere is a 2/3 chance they will stay on the same level and a 1/3 chance they will take a ladder. If you step off onto a ladder they are not very likely to stay on the same platform. Currently in my version all the enemies on a speed go at the same speed and use the same logic.  

Not sure if the enemy AI in arcade is the same as some of the consoles, but one of the key strategies of the Intellivision version is the ability to predict what an enemy will do. Hotdogs try to circle around you by going down a ladder and back up on the other side of you. Example, you are on the edge of the right side of a bun, the hotdog is on the same level as you but further to the right. There is a ladder going down between you and the hotdog. The hotdog will come at you, but go down the ladder and continue going left until he gets to the next up ladder and then comes back at you. Eggs will just come straight at you. Pickles also come straight at you, but seem more aggressive.

The enemy reaction shouldn't be random, IMO. Part of the strategy of the game is knowing what the enemies will do and trick them in to doing what you want them to.

I agree with the comments about the font.  I think it will add alot to the look of the game.  It almost makes the game look like it was written in text mode (which I'm sure it was, but why be obvious?)   ;)

So what is meant by the font? The score digits, the Level/Player selection on the title screen?

Not sure if the enemy AI in arcade is the same as some of the consoles, but one of the key strategies of the Intellivision version is the ability to predict what an enemy will do.  Hotdogs try to circle around you by going down a ladder and back up on the other side of you.  Example, you are on the edge of the right side of a bun, the hotdog is on the same level as you but further to the right.  There is a ladder going down between you and the hotdog.  The hotdog will come at you, but go down the ladder and continue going left until he gets to the next up ladder and then comes back at you.  Eggs will just come straight at you.  Pickles also come straight at you, but seem more aggressive.

The enemy reaction shouldn't be random, IMO.  Part of the strategy of the game is knowing what the enemies will do and trick them in to doing what you want them to.

The movement is not random completely. If you are on a platform and an enemy is coming at you, if you step on ladder the enemy should take a ladder (at least if one is in the same direction maybe). If you are on a ladder, the enemy will stay on the ladder after you.

But if you are on a platform, and the enemy is on the platform coming after you, if you stay on the platform then it is a little random if the enemy will take a ladder or not. (Currently 2/3 chance of staying on the platform I think). How the behave in the arcade in this respect seems to very how long you have been on a screen and what screen it is. Different enemy types also probably behave differently. One thing I need to work on, is enemies are too likely to get off a ladder if you are not on it which sometimes makes them likely to get stuck in circles on certain parts of certain screens.

Another thing is the that the enemies will speed up eventually on a screen on the arcade which I havent done yet.

Names, names...

Short-Order Chef

Fast Feud

There's the Beef!

Hold the Mayo

Night of the Living Burgers

Would You Like Fries with That?

Killer Kook-Out from Space

Tenessee James and the Burgers of Doom

the 5200 needs a Pinball game... (cough, cough)

Burgermeister

Hamburger Thrill (ungh)

Flip'n'Fry Panic

One would think odd Burgery names would be easy to think up... but not the case, no...

I don't want to scare anybody, but I can tell you that changing the name doesn't protect you at all.  They will generally get you on look and feel.  This company made a bunch of clones for the PC and the whole "it's a different name" thing didn't fly with the boys down at Namco or Atari (JTS Corporation at the time).  Of course, if they're not being sold for profit that may not provoke them into any legal action.  

Good luck!!

Compared to something current (like the PC at that time), Atari hardware IS under the radar. If you aren't using trademarks, they'd be losing thousands to prosecute a case that will get them nothing...not even a potential threat to their trademarks. With the same name, they might prosecute solely to protect the trademarked name. If it's something different, they won't even bother.

Name change all the way. I suggest something completely unrelated. Like BackBurner or something. Avoid "Mc"-anything tho...as i hear that McDonald's is rabid to go after anything with a Mc.

One important thing to note: Data East, the creators of Burgertime, went bankrupt and are out of business. Their properties have since been acquired by some wacky Japanese cell phone company, which in all likelihood has limited litigation funds. Midway only distributed the game in the United States, and no longer has any legal claim to it.

http://www.gamespot.com/snes/rpg/metalmax2...ws_6071057.html

JR

Well if Data East went bankrupt and some little company WAAAAAAY over in japan has rights, then I say screw'em!

Call the damn thing Burger Time like it rightly deserves..

Done! Enuf! We all know what it is!

If it looks like a burger, smells like a burger, it must be Burger Time!

:)

And hey! I just Dl'd the latest Tosec 8bit exe set, and the current version we all just got to test was in there.. wierd.

Dan