IGNORED

Back in the Day, what was your first Non-combat game.

Joel D. Park

My brother and I were just talking..

We got our Atari for Christmas, it came with Combat, but our folks also got us Pac-Man and Kaboom.. Knowing the expense of them I'm really amazed and even feel a little guilty now.

Later on, new games I remember were:

Adventure

E.T.

Cosmic Creeps

Word Zapper

Space Jockey

Sneak `n Peek

Swordquest Fireworld

Spider Fighter

I'm guessing but everything else we probably got at Yard Sales by then, we kept our atari for a long time.

I never had Combat or Pac-Man. We bought ours at sears, and got Target Fun (Air-Sea Battle). I think that same Christmas my father bought a few more games to go with it... Slots, Blackjack, Adventure and Breakaway IV (Breakout)

YOu could see what games were for dad and which were the kids..

the first game i recieved after combat were pac-man and haunted house..to this day i still get cravings to play a two player round of combat and a game of haunted house..nothing can beat a fix with those games...ahhh..the good ol' games

The first game I got for (and with) my Sears Console was Space Invaders.. which was the entire reason I bought a VCS in the first place.

Actually... my memory is foggy but I seem to remember that AIR SEA BATTLE was the pack-in with my Sears Video Arcade console. i.e. NOT Combat. But I was so little so I don't really remember. Can anyone confirm this?

I got my first VCS back in 88 (I was 12) and I remember me playing for hours Activision games, such as bownling, fishing, enduro, frogger, pitfall, expressway, etc etc etc... =) My original VCS stills working in my home back in Argentina, but a couple of days ago I brought an Atari Jr on Ebay.com and I'm getting rid of my Nintendo64 and Playstation. Cheers =)

Came with Combat, & bought Kaboom! the next month. I remember coming home from the store to discover the power switch on my almost-new VCS had been broken by person(s) unknown Sent it away for repairs, and it took a month to get back to me. Since then, I've repaired virtually everything myself.

My first game after Combat was the most beautiful, perfect, excelent game anyone could have got theier hands on the market those days, it was the one and only:

MS.PAC-MAN!!!!!!! Ta-ra!!!!!!!

I could tell you other anecdotes about Ms.Pac-Man, like who was I thinking when I got my first hand job and stuff like that, but that gets a little off-topic.....

back when we were first into atari we had a

atari 5200 and a VCS.

both are in silicon heaven now

but I got a new VCS at goodwill.

it came with a huge box of games including

combat

space war

air-sea battle

pacman

gremlins

tapper

donkey kong

space invaders

galaxian

digdug

mario bros.

tooth protecters

texas chainsaw massacre

and mrs. pacman

all for the low low price of 7$

Actually, my first "Atari" system was a Coleco Gemini, which came with Donkey Kong. I'd later gotten Mousetrap, plus a few other games that obviously weren't that memorable 'cos I don't remember them. Then I was on an Atari hiatus while I had a Colecovision with driving controller and a few games. Then when my father and I moved, we'd put the Colecovision, Gemini, and related hard/software, in a green garbage bag that unfortunately got mistaken for actual garbage and was thrown out.

But my birthday was right around the corner, and when it came, our new neighbours, whom we'd known through the friends-of-the-family we lived with at the time gave me their old Atari 2600 complete with over 30 carts. Obviously I was in heaven, and began a ritual shortly afterwards of buying a new game every week. (At the time, most games fit well within my weekly allowance of $10. :-)

Perhaps this should go in the "Games you were embarassed to like" topic, 'cos I actually bought *all three* Mythicon games. :-)

My first game with my first VCS that wasn't combat came with the VCS as a Christmas present. It was Defender. Then Ms. Pac-Man...and then I can't remember the order.

I just remember that being probably my best Christmas ever...hehe.

I seem to remember my parents bought Slot Cars and Pitfall! with the system. I fondly remember my parents, my brother, and I, all playing games as a family. I remember playing Slot Cars with my Dad. Was only shortly after that when my parents began to think the Atari was rotting our brains and they never played video games again.

My Atari came with.... Othello! Luckily I could persuade my parents to buy me Asteroids as well. I was so happy that I played without sound the first days - a result of not being able to wait and not having set the channel properly...

Only after a day or two, I discovered that this thing actually made sound as well

Cheers,

Marco

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Marco ]

Although I'm not certain, I think the first Atari game I ever played was Space Invaders; I remember playing it several times on a store display console at a Montgomery Wards or Sears when I was 4. (There was also an Intellivision with multiple games built into it, but I couldn't figure out how that thing worked :-P) I didn't get an Atari until I was 9; I got my first one (Darth Vader model) in 1985 when they were $20 at Wal-Mart. My first two games were Plaque Attack and Missile Command. 16 years and 957 cartridges later, I'm still collecting. Who woulda thunk it? Anyway, I didn't actually get Combat until almost a year later, when I found it and Pac-Man at a flea market for $2.50 each. This concludes today's history lesson. I hope you took notes, because there might be a quiz tomorrow... ;-)

HEAVY***6***er

Aside from the pack-in included with my first 2600, the first games I actually bought (at the same time) were Yar's Revenge and Missile Command. Yar's Revenge was a brand-new release that very day. I was mainly after Missile Command because I loved the arcade game (this was in '81) and wanted it to play at home...and although it got played a lot, it was Yar's Revenge that turned out to be the biggest surprise and better game IMHO.

mine would have to have been joust and that kicked, i didn't get combat with my system due to the fact i wated till the cheaper version of the jr came out to get one.

the choice had been wait for a long time and save up for a nes or get a 2600 and i went for the 2600 and never regret it. although i later got a nes but i never played it near as much as the 2600.

I remember getting my first Atari 2600 (I believe it was '83 or '84)when my dad traded the kid across the street some RC cars or something for it! I got Donkey Kong, Adventure, Wabbit, Lock n Chase, and a few others that day. I played Adventure all night long!

I feel really young now I never was given An atari 2600 It was always there since I was born in 87 I played it till 96 or 97 then it was thrown out against my protests It had some rare games in it to like roc' and rope mountain king well rare as we had at least

My three brothers and I got our Atari for Christmas in 1978 after playing Combat for hours at the local Barker's department store. My mom bought the game without us knowing and set it up for a suprise on Christmas morning. It still ranks as the best Christmas ever. Anyway, we got the following games:

Combat

Air-Sea Battle

Homerun

Basketball

Street Racer

Breakout

Surround

Indy 500

Starship

We played Air-Sea Battle the most. Excellent 2-player game.