IGNORED

What's your favorite Atari label variation ?

khryssun

Personnally, my preference goes to the Picture label : first picture edition with very nice artwork and various colors for the titles.... GREAT

I like the silver labels too.

But I definitelly don't like the red (brown) label edition.

After looking over all the different label styles, I have to agree with you. The artwork Atari used is great and generally better and more consistent than any other company's. It'd be great to find a source for these so we could make posters someday.

I'm not crazy about the silver labels and actually like the red labels better. Maybe it's because ET is a silver cart. I also like Activision's carts since they're so colorful, and some of their later titles such as Beamrider and Pitfall II were pretty cool as well.

..Al

i love the picture atari carts.... some of that artwork is the best ive ever seen.. but sometimes the picture is the only good thing about the game, i also like the origional activision label artwork, it made the game look like it was out to get you... i hated the red variation of atari.. i think the worst were the epyx labels

My favorite label variation group is the Sears picture labels because the artwork was usually different from the Atari version.

My favorite single label variation is the Pole Position misspelling "Ploe Position" because I showed it to my Dyslectic brother and he said "What's wrong with it?" It took him a minute to see what was wrong.

Tempest

I will be the oddball and go on the record as stating that I actually prefered most of the Silver labeld Picture carts in the ET era. Ijust thought they looked so cool and sleek.

Next to those...my favorites were always the Parker Bros carts...hehe..

• 4 weeks later...

This brings a question I've had for a while to mind: What ever became of the original illustrations that were created for the Atari-brand 2600 cartridges? Does the original artwork for Yars' Revenge, Adventure, Haunted House, Asteroids, Missile Command, etc. still exist? Did any of this work ever appear in classic gaming shows for sale or auction? Or did the Tramiels throw this stuff out or mutilate them? (The artwork for the Lynx title Gates of Zendocon is the 2600 Asteroids illustration redone.)

It'd be a real shame if these original works were gone. I would love to have a high quality poster print of some of these illustrations.

J-AT

I always liked the text labels myself... they give the most retro feel. I also like the Data Age labels for some reason (Though I'm probably alone on this). Finally, I still think different colored cartridges (Coleco, CBS, Tigervision, etc) are cool.

--Zero

Personally, I truly like the text labels. They seem to personify what atari was originally about. (Straightforward Fun) You pretty much knew what you were gonna get. The picture label of Slot Racer, for example, had me longing for the sleek futuristic cars they had displayed. (Or is that actually my recent feelings? I am so confused!!) Anyway, the text label was the first and the first type that pops in my mind. 01 combat indeed!

H.E.R.O all the way! (Of course, I just had to say that).

I always liked the COMBAT-era labels and I think the silver labels that aren't too scratched up look very nice as well.

It's not the label variations that bother me but instead the varying shape of the carts. For example, COMBAT, HAUNTED HOUSE, PACMAN, POLE POSITION, and DIG DUG will all stack very neatly on top of each other. However, you try stacking Star Wars: Jedi Arena, Q-Bert, Journey Escape and Cosmic Ark on top of each other without it falling over and that requires some adjusting. Oh, well, now I'm whining.........

quote:

Originally posted by skatepunk60:

if i want to play blackjack (ATARI version) of championship soccer i have to get the text label.

Well, I'm not sure about Blackjack... but if you want a picture label version of Championship Soccer, look for the game "Pele's Soccer". It's the same game, except for the name and the label.

--Zero