IGNORED

Disk drive for VCS?

danboid

yo dan whats going on a disk drive for you 2600 hmm all i can think of is a 410 for the 400/800 maybe if you an adapter and a 850 interface perhaps but im not sure atari ever came out with such an item. but i ask you what info on a basic no cart OOOOOHHHHHH i get it maybe the best way woudl be a supercharger and hook it to a casette player and save it on casette. that would be the only thing else that was for the 2600 that woudl make sense. yet again ill try to ask what info on a cartless atari2600 would be worth saving .?

Yeah, a supercharger then- where do I get one of those? Thing is- it would be cooler if it was a 3 1/2" floppy drive instead. I take it such a thing doesn't exist then.

The whole point of one is so that I could get EVERY VCS game off the net thats worth having and have them all on a single floppy disk; JUST for the sheer coolness/ geek factor involved. Oh! And it would be damn good fun too!

I hope you all checked out tRANSELEMENt- honest to god you're missing out BIG TIME if you've got a musical ear and not heard them yet!

...not to mention that the 2600 doesn't even have enough ram to handle a Dos. Even Atari's own Graduate computer upgrade only used a cassette player.

Seriously...if you are looking to backup Starpath Supercharger games, you should be able to do a dub on a dual-cassette recorder or boombox.

Hi!

I live in the UK and I'm after getting a disk backup unit for my much beloved VCS. Anyone know where I might be able to get one cheap? Would it be cheaper to make one- if so where do I get instructions?

I only found AtariAge today and I'm amazed! What a fantastic site! Its going to take me a while to dig through all the info on this site!

Whilst I'm here I'd like to plug a FANTASTIC band I stumbled across if I may. They're called tRANSELEMENt and they dump upon 99% of contemporary bands from a great height sounding like the Beach Boys, Aphex Twin, Faust, Sonic Youth, Kraftwerk and early Pink Floyd rolled into one! Check them out at the tRANSELEMENt MP3 page.

Thanks!

Dan

I'd like to amend Atari70s' suggestion about a Supercharger interface by recommending you look into Chad Schell's forthcoming Cuttle Cart (formerly known as the SuperDuperCharger). I'm not sure I'd call it cheap (US$100 plus shipping from the USA), but it expands the Supercharger concept and would permit loading of nearly any Atari 2600 game. You could store the game ROMs in the Supercharger audio format on an audiocassette or CD to play into the Cuttle Cart; or you could store them on floppy, CD-ROM, etc. in a standard binary format and, with the right software, convert a game to the audio format as needed. See the official Cuttle Cart page for more information.

Dan: I personally think having a huge amount of cartridges is MUCH cooler than having a couple of disks of pirated roms. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against emulation and all that... but it's a lot more satisfying to know that you actually took the time and made the effort to get the games instead of just downloading a 5 meg zip file off the internet.

Also, Superchargers can be found on eBay pretty often. I bought one a month or so ago for $20. Kind of expensive, but it was worth it. They're a little rare though, so expect to have people bidding against you.

Night Phantom: Though I admit I haven't looked in the the Cuttle Cart lately, I remember seeing that the guy making it had decided to stop since Bridgestone (the guys with Starpath's rights) wouldn't work with him on it. If he managed to get around that though, then that would be great.

--Zero

quote:

Night Phantom: Though I admit I haven't looked in the the Cuttle Cart lately, I remember seeing that the guy making it had decided to stop since Bridgestone (the guys with Starpath's rights) wouldn't work with him on it. If he managed to get around that though, then that would be great.

[/QB]

Okay, well, 5 minutes after I posted this, the story of the Cuttle Cart being alive hits the main site

--Zero

Ya know....building one of these is way at the back of my project list. The main thing stopping me is my lack of knowledge about the drive interface.

I was thinking cheap 5MB hard disk at the time, but floppies would be more logical, I think. And better yet...a flash card!

Several years ago, I did manage to get a PC keyboard working with my 2600. Heh...that was right about the time I blew up my PC joystick port and killed the 2600 and dropped a monitor that I was carrying. It was a bad month as I recall.

I never did get back to it. Oh well, someday I'll get it working again. The 32K cartridge board is in production, and the S-video board is up and running. And the touch-pad controller is ramping up. I'll try to have protos, if not production units at CGE. So maybe everything on my project list will get bumped up! Including that damned 16K Superchip cartridge board.

3 more weeks 'til CGE!!!

-Chris