IGNORED

86 Re-Releases. Why?

Tempest

Wasn't the 5200 being forgotten about while all of these re-releases were coming out. My question is why they stopped supporting that sytem. It could have sold well if Atari didn't treat it like an unwanted child.

They barely supported the 5200 even when it was still around. Where I live I never even saw a 5200 for sale yet 2600 sales kiosks were plentiful even in 1984.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with bumping a old thread if the post is relevant to the discussion. Just bumping something over 10 years old to say something stupid is what is frowned upon here. :)

Another reason I've heard for these re-releases is that most of them were aimed at the overseas market, where gaming technology didn't grow at the same rate as in Japan and the US. Pong systems were still being sold in Europe as late 1984, for example. So consumers over there were still playing their 2600's, and would buy re-releases of older games.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with bumping a old thread if the post is relevant to the discussion. Just bumping something over 10 years old to say something stupid is what is frowned upon here. :)

Another reason I've heard for these re-releases is that most of them were aimed at the overseas market, where gaming technology didn't grow at the same rate as in Japan and the US. Pong systems were still being sold in Europe as late 1984, for example. So consumers over there were still playing their 2600's, and would buy re-releases of older games.

But those would need to be PAL. On the other hand, they could have sent them south to Brazil.

I bought the Basic Programming re-release and I think the Swordquest: Fireworld one also. I played Swordquest: Fireworld quite a bit and spent time with Basic Programming also, but my best friend at the time played Basic Programming more than me.

I remember buying Basic Programming from the store, but not Sowrdquest: Fireworld. I am only about 90% sure I bought that from the store so I could have been playing a used copy.

That would help explain why a lot of them had multi-lingual boxes and/or manuals. Well, that, and basic cost-cutting.

I'm wondering why nobody has noticed that this thread was started in 2004...

I posted a link to this thread on the Atari Age Facebook page because it was relevant to a discussion going on. Not only was it noticed, it was intentional!!

This seems to be a pic of unusual and unique label variants, but just out of curiosity, what's special about that Slots cart?

Well, there was a reason for why I laid out those carts in that format back when I took that pic. It served as the placeholder for a Picture Label Slot Machine. This was all covered and discussed here a few years back in a thread about the most rare label variations.

post-17556-0-98537900-1491523300_thumb.jpg

Of course, now I'm just showing off...

post-17556-0-83933100-1491524494_thumb.jpg

Oops, I did it again...

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1