IGNORED

The Future Of Portables

JagMX

Is the future for portable gaming going to be Sony vs Nintendo? im pushing aside ngage, because well, it isnt really competing well against anyone.

I mean if Atari/Infogrames released a portable that plays Atari 2600,5200 and 7800 games, i bet it would sell much more and be greatly popular tha nthe ngage ;)

But aside from that, i mean being that Nintendo has been ruling the ranks of the portable gaming - and now sony moves in, will there be anyone else? you think any more surprise compaines will come out with a failure like the ngage? or anything?

Im not really a huge fan of portables but i always like to see and try them out :)

and most importantly, anyone think that portables will eventually die out?

just curious what everyone else thinks

Oh dear, here we go again. :sad:

All Im saying this time, is that portables will never die. The biggest question imho is wether or not the majority of consumers will favor N64 style/caliber games or PS1/PS2 style/caliber games. The one with the most people interested in it will win. Me personally, Im going with the PSP. Though over all, I like the idea of a phone/console. Shame Nokia dropped the ball. :sad:

Uh, I believe you're forgetting the Gizmondo... the greatest handheld device ever inven... ... ah, who am I kidding, I can't even say it with a straight face. :roll:

Frankly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if NONE of these expensive next-gen handhelds succeed, and everyone just sticks with their tried-and-true-and-cheap GBA's instead. That's what I plan to do anyways.

--Zero

I think eventually, portable gaming consoles will die out. Most gaming in the future will be done on your cellphone. I think Nokia knows this and they're smart for trying though it might be a lil too early.

I really would wish atari or jakks would release some type of "atari 2600 iPOD" so that you can upload all your roms onto a cheap 16mb flash drive and play anywhere. It shouldn't be too costly to sell when mass-produced.

Ngage had a good concept..too bad nobody seems to have saw fit to test market the form factor.. I saw info on the next gen Ngage..with the ability to change games with out tearing the damn thing half apart, and use the phone function with out looking like your talking into a chrome taco.

problem is, this thing was pimped at the gamer community and.. lets face it..we tend to be a fickle lot.. and the fact that this thing launched SO poorly tells me its going to fail.. nobody is going to care about nex gen improvements...A national launch is no time to be doing Beta

theres a lot of buzz about PSP.. but.. I wanna see it before I belive it..

sony took Nin's thunder before.. and theres a rabid following out there for the name.. however Nintendo DOES have a stranglehold on the handheld market, they've taken a lot of people head on and killed the vastly superior compition down..

now another personal opinion on the matter.. I see no use for two screens on a game boy..I think they would do better to concentrate thier efforts on improving on what they allready have.. I just think that two screens might get a bit confusing if your displaying too much information at one time.. you know..the old K.I.S.S. phylosophy? Keep It Simple Stupid?

more bells and whistles does not always meen a better product

wait.. the question was will hand helds ever die?

No

I think eventually, portable gaming consoles will die out. Most gaming in the future will be done on your cellphone. I think Nokia knows this and they're smart for trying though it might be a lil too early.

No no, I don't think the future of portable gaming is in cellphones at all. As a gamer I want a good dedicated handheld with quality games. Who wants to use their cellphone for any serious gaming? Right now the idea with Nokia is flawed because its games can be done on any other cellphone or Palm device.

Oh dear, here we go again.  :sad:  

All Im saying this time, is that portables will never die. The biggest question imho is wether or not the majority of consumers will favor N64 style/caliber games or PS1/PS2 style/caliber games. The one with the most people interested in it will win. Me personally, Im going with the PSP. Though over all, I like the idea of a phone/console. Shame Nokia dropped the ball.  :sad:

sorry man if this was brought up before - i havent been comin round here as frequent as i used to, so i guess i may have missed this somewhere - sorry if anyone gets all upset with me - if you're gunna please dont give me any sarcasitic remakrs or anything - just ignore this thread or ill get it deleted :)

Both the DS and PSP will be slow sellers due to the massive price tags they will command. Nobody wants to spend a fortune on a handheld game so expect aggressive price cutting early after release.

The big picture however will likely continue to show strong interest in portable gaming. As mobile phones get better I'm sure this will be the future of portable gaming.

sorry man if this was brought up before - i havent been comin round here as frequent as i used to' date=' so i guess i may have missed this somewhere - sorry if anyone gets all upset with me - if you're gunna please dont give me any sarcasitic remakrs or anything - just ignore this thread or ill get it deleted :)[/color']

No, I wasn't trying to give you any flack. We have just had some "heated" debates on the subject since E3. That is all. There are some strong feelings on both sides is all. :D

No no, I don't think the future of portable gaming is in cellphones at all. As a gamer I want a good dedicated handheld with quality games. Who wants to use their cellphone for any serious gaming? Right now the idea with Nokia is flawed because its games can be done on any other cellphone or Palm device.

Ahhh, who cares what you want? The fact is if most people had to take one gadget at all times with them it would be a phone. And plus, its cooler to be seen with a cell than a gaming handheld. In the future, everything will be intergrated with your phone. Nokia is trying to get a good head start before every other phone maker releases good gaming quality phones.

Forget gaming on phones. In the future, phones, radios and protbale gaming will be hardwired to you brain on a little microchip and you'll just have to think about making a call or playing Tetris and it''ll all happen in your head.

That's the future of portables

Wow! Portable game consoles replaced by cell phones, huh? I sure as hell hope not.

After all, it's not big deal when one of my cheap-ass cell phones, uh, accidentally flies out of my car window.

However, I suspect a mobile device which incorporates games, phone, PDA and etc. would set me back a few $$$ when it inevitably got shattered on the interestate.

Here is my take.

DS: Continues to be backward compatible. I didn't jump on the GBA/GBASP bandwagon and now I have a machine coming that will play across four versions of GB games and adds a some interesting features.

PSP: Not backward compatible but could it be forward compatible? Meaning that the media will be usable on the PS3. I think that this is likely. Can it play movies? Yes but technically so can the GBA (http://www.gba-video.com/). I can get the Matrix Trilogy on DVD and watch it just about anywhere or UMD and watch it on my PSP and quite possibly my PS3.

Wow! Portable game consoles replaced by cell phones, huh? I sure as hell hope not.

After all, it's not big deal when one of my cheap-ass cell phones, uh, accidentally flies out of my car window.

However, I suspect a mobile device which incorporates games, phone, PDA and etc. would set me back a few $$$ when it inevitably got shattered on the interestate.

Thankyou! It is great to know someone else agrees :D

Forget gaming on phones.  In the future, phones, radios and protbale gaming will be hardwired to you brain on a little microchip and you'll just have to think about making a call or playing Tetris and it''ll all happen in your head.

That's the future of portables

You had to make me look bad didn't you? :P

I'm not fond of everything-in-one device. If something breaks, everything doesn't work. Plus beiause I'm deaf, I depend on TTY to use with phone and conventional TTY doesn't work with cell phones. Cell phone with built in TTY support costs more than it's worth and while text messaging is nice, it does depend on other people having the same service and my parent doesn't have such service.

Anyway I think N-Gage has a better chance the second time around. Game slot are now external so you don't need to remove the battery. The design was changed so you won't look silly using it as a phone like the original, the confirm button was added instead of using somewhat awkward controller pad, and it's slightly smaller and more rounded. Not to mention it won't start at $300 like the original one did.

Still, it'll probably be one of those quirky system that gets little spotlight and won't be worth much until about 20 years later (like Vectrex and Virtualboy).

land of the portables and the land of portables with uber cases

Personally, I don't want cell phones to be video game systems, I want video game systems to be cell phones (yes, there is a difference) and I don't think that they will die. Heck, I think that in the future portables will replace home consoles if they have some kind of wireless transmitter that lets you use a tv... but that's all a long way off.

Why not forget about PSP, DS, N-Gage etc for a while and just lean back and enjoy your Atari Lynx!? For me this endless search for the ultimate newest coolest handheld is unnessesary. Born 15 years ago, the Atari Lynx is still, in my opinion, the best there is when it comes to portalbe gaming :D

The Lynx has the size. Not like new for-people-with-baby-hands-consoles. The Lynx has the biggest screen. And I hope you believe me when I tell you the Lynx II even has stereosound ;) Classic games like Robotron, Joust and MS Pacman. Addictive games like Klax, Rampart and Shanghai. Brand new (well...almost) games like Alpine Games and Cybervirus. The Lynx has something for everyone!

if there was a cheap portable system that combined good games with PDA features and true net surfing, well there you go.

I think the Zodiac fits this description fairly well (although I'm unsure about what web capabilities it has, and it's certainly not cheap by any definition that I've heard of). The DS should be a good candidate for this type of functionality as well, with it's touch screen and all... I think it would be a better idea for Nintendo to release PDA functionality on a cartridge rather than build it into the system though.

I've never been a fan of combining functionality the way the newer handhelds have been doing. I don't like the idea of paying for features that I don't want, and will likely never use (I'm not interested in a portable movie player, but if I buy a PSP, then I'm certainly paying for one). Also, I think that when you add features to a system like this, you invariably end up with something that is actually LESSER than the sum of it's parts.. so when you try to combine a game system and a cell phone, you'll invariably end up with either:

• A decent phone that sucks for playing games (ie, most current cell phones)

[*]A decent game system that sucks for making phone calls (ie, the N-Gage... if you're an optimist)

[*]A system that isn't very good at all at playing games OR making phone calls (ie, the N-Gage... if you're a pessimist)

Adding more "features" just increases the price tag and waters the system down moreso in my opinion, and customers will invariably be disappointed with at least one aspect of the system, potentially to the point where they'll buy a replacement and use that instead (How many people out there have a dedicated DVD player in addition to their PS2 or X-Box?). If I want a cell phone, I'll go buy a cell phone. If I want a game system, I'll go buy a game system.

--Zero

i'll get mocked for this i'm sure but the future of portables is a game.com that lives up to the hype.

What? You don't think the Game.com's claim that it's "The Ultimate Portable Gaming System" is true? For shame! :D

Actually, I bought a Game.com and a bunch of games for cheap on Ebay, and I still feel I got ripped off. Although I must admit the Solitaire is oddly addicting.

Yes, nothing screams "Quality" like a gaming system that comes in a blister pack.