IGNORED

Mame on the Xbox has partial support for light guns?

Sega Ages

Has anyone successfully gotten Mameox (latest xbox port of Mame) to run its selection of emulated light gun arcades, like Space Gun, via an Xbox light gun on their TV?

The docs say there is partial support... and I don't want to buy an Xbox gun only to find out it won't work...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not really knowing whether this will work or not, I went out an bought an Xbox lightgun today for emulation.

The setup I am using is a flatscreen Sony Wega + Xbox + third party Xbox lightgun (designed for the Xbox game House Of The Dead III)

It seems that some emulators DO support this configuration. So far I have tried a NES emulator for xbox called FCEUltra and it detected the lightgun perfectly and the calibration screen is accurate.

However the big one -- that is MAMEoX -- only had "partial" support for lightguns at the moment. I finally figured out what this means. It is a bitch to configure, and then it isn't very accurate...

The end result I was able to achieve is that I can run Taito's Space Gun (the lightgun game I am most interested in emulating) at a semi-playable state. That is, I can wildly swing the gun around to move the targetting cursor on-screen. Thankfully Space Gun is less about accuracy and more about alien carnage, so I can actually play it reasonably OK like this as long as I put lots of quarters into the machine :P

Hey, at the end of the day I've got Space Gun running in my living room on my Wega, even if the aiming is wacky that's still pretty cool! Hopefully later revisions of MAMEoX for Xbox will feature a proper Xbox lightgun codebase like the NES emu FCEUltra seems to already have. Well, hope this is of interest to someone...

I wish this board had an edit feature... anyway, after the limited success with Space Gun above, I've tried Terminator 2: The Arcade Game and it failed completely. The gun refuses to work at all, and setup is still a nightmare (with plugging/unplugging controller cables galore and randomly cycling menus resulting) so I'd say Mameox is simply not ready for hardcore lightgun use at this time.

• 7 years later...