IGNORED

5200 still not working

hopeful

Okay, we cleaned out the console of the 5200 and our tv screen is still orange. This machine did work on my parents old Curtis Mathis tv before it was stored in their basement, of course the tvs I've tried it on are both from the '90. Could the problem be our tvs? I have a brand new rf switch that I bought off ebay(the old one appears to have went out on the curb with the old tv).

I've tried another old game system(Tele-Games) and it works.

I'd appreciate any suggestions because I'd really would like to use my old 4-port 5200.

Thanks!

It may not even be a bad chip, just a loose one. Most of the chips in the 5200 are socketed. Diassembling the 5200 is not to hard, just a couple screws on the bottom to get the case off. Once you have the case off you will see the circuit board with a shield can covering most of it. You need to be somewhat careful about static electricity when working with circuit boards (although these older systems are not as succeptible as newer electronics). You can discharge and static electricity by touching a metal cold water faucet. Be especially careful of this in the winter when the air tends to be a lot dryer.

Around the edge of the can are little metal tabs that have been twisted to hold the two halves of the shield together. With a pair of needle nose pliers straighten out the tabs. This can be a little tedious, just take your time doing it.

Once you have the shield off, place the circuit board on a hard flat surface with something underneath it to pad it, a towel works good for this. Push down on each of the chips to seat them into thier sockets. You will actually hear sort of a crunching sound if they are loose.

If this doesn't work, removing and re-installing each chip can also help, but this takes a lot more care so that you don't damage the pins.

Hope this helps.

Dan

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Dan Boris ]