IGNORED

why does this keep happening to me!

flavoredthunder

Your trigger finger goes off 6 seconds to close? :?

He placed those bids manually. Just probably saw a good deal, currently around $20 both he & Flavored saw & bid at same time, when they refreshed, flavored was out bid, with 20 seconds to go and did nothing. The winner of the auction, who was then in the lead decided to bid again, for insurance, 13 seconds to close, most likely had only bid a slight amount over the current winning bid, and had seen flavored's attempt. Had flavored bid again, well since the other dude already bid a second time, I'm guessing it would have been in vain, just worked to make the other pay more, but lost still the same.

Sniping doesn't matter. Higher bids do. "Sniping" just is a method to show your hand at the latest possible time so that other bidders have little time to respond to it. But whether you bid by sniping or not, the bottom line is HIGHEST BID wins. Easy.

Sniping doesn't matter. Higher bids do. "Sniping" just is a method to show your hand at the latest possible time so that other bidders have little time to respond to it. But whether you bid by sniping or not' date=' the bottom line is HIGHEST BID wins. Easy.[/quote']

That is just common sense. :)

I have placed many snipes that don't win. It doesn't cost anything unless you win also. It doesn't hurt to place small snipes in hopes of winning something for a good price, and if you don't win it, move on to the next one. :)

Sniping doesn't matter. Higher bids do. "Sniping" just is a method to show your hand at the latest possible time so that other bidders have little time to respond to it. But whether you bid by sniping or not' date=' the bottom line is HIGHEST BID wins. Easy.[/quote']

That is just common sense. :)

I have placed many snipes that don't win. It doesn't cost anything unless you win also. It doesn't hurt to place small snipes in hopes of winning something for a good price' date=' and if you don't win it, move on to the next one. :)[/quote']

Not really. When you bid on an auction say $25.00 - and someone comes along at the last second and wins by a bid of $25.01....are you saying you wouldn't go an extra quarter to win? If ebay were smart, they would extend auctions for 3-5 mins. after each final bid until bidding ends. That would eliminate sniping.

Not really. When you bid on an auction say $25.00 - and someone comes along at the last second and wins by a bid of $25.01....are you saying you wouldn't go an extra quarter to win?

Ebay doesn't limit your bids' date=' if you are willing to pay $25.01, or at that price $26.01 next increment to "try" and outbid the other person, no rule says you will win even given the time. (In that case yes, 26.01 would win, but in cases where the next increment was posted, say it went from $25 to $26, then you would not know) You bid what you want & when you want. No one forces any of us to use ebay, and no one forces us to only bid a certain amount, well maybe a few wives/GFs but honestly you have to set certain limits for yourself...how much is something worth?.. And then if it goes past that, even by one measly penny, it's gone past the level you wanted to bid. Then it [b']should not matter[/b] that you were out bid in the closing seconds, additional time is not needed to make the auction more fair.

It's the fact that this is just a hobby for most of us and that the money involved is not absolute. How much something should cost, or what it's even worth, most of us question. So some people get outbid, only to come here and bitch about it. :roll: Well it's their own fault. They should have bid more to secure their top spot in the bidding war. They should have bid the absolute MAX they could afford and not leave it to question whether they could go higher.

It does suck to loose an auction especially higher priced by a matter of pennies sometimes. You know that if you wanted it, thinking well if I had of only went this much higher, but that's your own fault. You could have done so from the get go.

I've often bid several dollars(sometimes $50-100) above the price I want to pay and I think it's a good method to try for anyone who's ever bitched about loosing to a sniper. Try to figure the max you will pay, if it's $50, maybe go $55 or 10% of the max, realize then if you've been out bid, it most certainly will have cost far more than your max. The hell with bidding a few cents over, go all out and insure your victory!

Of course this method will put you in bad standing with other complainers ;) here on this site, note the numberous posts about 07pwb. But to win is the only way right?

How do you know that the someone who outbid you by a penny wouldn't turn around and outbid you again given more time?

You don't. Which does lead to a good point. If you get outbid by a penny or so, how do you know it was their absolute highest bid, just that it was higher than yours by a few cents. And in some of these cases they could be there watching the closing of the auction. So if there was an extension, you would not only have to get back to ebay, and up your bid, but you would also have to defend against a second bid from the other ebayer. He may decide to bid again too.

Not really. When you bid on an auction say $25.00 - and someone comes along at the last second and wins by a bid of $25.01....are you saying you wouldn't go an extra quarter to win? If ebay were smart' date=' they would extend auctions for 3-5 mins. after each final bid until bidding ends. That would eliminate sniping.[/quote']

I've wondered why eBay doesn't extend auctions for a few minutes after the the last bid, as this would certainly result in some auctions ending higher. Sellers would be happier, and eBay would make more money from their final-price fees. I know Yahoo's auctions do this (or did, I haven't used them in a long time). One has to assume that eBay has thoroughly investigated doing this, and for whatever reason, they don't think it's a good idea.

..Al

Not really. When you bid on an auction say $25.00 - and someone comes along at the last second and wins by a bid of $25.01....are you saying you wouldn't go an extra quarter to win?

But see jetset that doesn't make sense. In that scenario' date=' how do you know they only bid $25.01? For all you know they could have bid 50 bucks! You never know what the another guy bids until he is outbid. IF he is never outbid, then he is simply the highest bidder and the price he wins it at, [i']is one increment above the 2nd highest bidder.[/i]

Make sense? If at auction close, if Albert had bid 50 bucks. And the next highest bidder was bjk7382 at 25 bucks.. then Albert wins at $25.01 :) (actually realistically the increment would be 50 cents to a dollar or so. But this is just for illustration).

But see jetset that doesn't make sense. In that scenario' date=' how do you know they only bid $25.01? For all you know they could have bid 50 bucks! You never know what the another guy bids until he is outbid. IF he is never outbid, then he is simply the highest bidder and the price he wins it at, [i']is one increment above the 2nd highest bidder.[/i]

Make sense? If at auction close, if Albert had bid 50 bucks. And the next highest bidder was bjk7382 at 25 bucks.. then Albert wins at $25.01 :) (actually realistically the increment would be 50 cents to a dollar or so. But this is just for illustration).

You can bid any amount you want so long as it's above the minimum bid increment at the time. In this instant, the current price would have needed to be less than $25, but where the high bidder had a proxy of exactly $25.

As long as the next highest increment is below $25, the sniper can bid exactly $25.01 if he wishes.

And it's times like this when the auction will close for a few pennies over a flat rate because the sniper out smarts the previous bidder. :P

Both bidders felt like bidding close to the same amount, but the sniper who bid over by a few pennies on what the proxy turned out to be won.

At the same time, had the outbid proxied a little higher, it would have turned out differently. Sniper would have lost, and bidding would have jumped to the next highest increment above the $25.01 I was thinking it was $1 above $25 so $26.01 maybe only .50 cents though.