IGNORED

My contribution to MiniGame Compo

_Fandal_

Hi there!

Cool, looking forward to try this tonight! :D

Say, would you please be so kind and repost your message in the "Homebrew" forum? I made a sticky thread there to capture all Atari related Mini Game events ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Done.

F.

Yeah, here it is - simple 1kB game for MiniGame Compo 2004.

I haven't been able to play it yet, but it reminds at a NES submission of last year called Galaxy Patrol. But that one was 4K.

Hmm.. It seems you're right. It looks similar... :(

F.

Cool, I hope there will be more entries this year.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time so I am not able to do more than a slightly enhanced Superfly version but I am not sure if I will submit it because of Thomas great interpretation (Cave 1k).

On the other hand I would be one more Atari 8bit entry...

Hi there!

Hmm.. It seems you're right. It looks similar...  :(

I wouldn't worry that much. It looks much better than the NES game, and it also has more gameplay, as the NES variant didn't give you shields. Also the NES variant was 4K and yours offers more in 1K only.

One suggestion I'd have would be slowly increasing the scrollspeed (fractional adding). In exchange the shield could slowly recharge.

I think it'll do good in the contest. Main problem last year IMHO wasn't the quality of the Atari entries, but a Commodore biased audience. If there were more Atari fans voting, I'm sure "our" entries would've received a fairer judgement. Maybe this year...:)

Greetings,

Manuel

Don't worry too much.

If it plays good enough nobody will complain. And if it is better than last year's NES submission and fits into just 1K, then being able to compare might even be an advantage for you.

Hi there!

One suggestion I'd have would be slowly increasing the scrollspeed (fractional adding). In exchange the shield could slowly recharge.

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, I was thinking about some improvements too, but I don't have any free bytes left. First working version was 1024+80 bytes long so I had to make a lot of (sometimes brutal) optimalizations and now I'm almost out of ideas where to find some extra bytes... :?

BTW, are packers allowed in MiniGame Compo?

F.

Well, I was thinking about some improvements too, but I don't have any free bytes left. First working version was 1024+80 bytes long so I had to make a lot of (sometimes brutal) optimalizations and now I'm almost out of ideas where to find some extra bytes...  :?

Well, if you post the source, I am sure someone will still find a few bytes for you. :)

BTW, are packers allowed in MiniGame Compo?

Yes. There even was a discussion about the best choice in the BBS. Though due to the overhead, they are not very effective for 1K submissions.

* Depack routine for FlashPack 2.1

* By Fox of Taquart, 5th May 1997

* Average speed: 30 kB/sec

* 4 bytes on page 0

ff equ $fc

bt equ $fd

ad equ $fe

* Do not start routine here!!!

dep1 tax

beq ret

lda #$7f

dep2 bcc *+3

inx

inx

sta ad

dep3 lda (ad),y

put sta $8080,y

iny

bne dep4

inc ad+1

inc put+2

dep4 dex

bne dep3

asl bt

bne dep7

asl ff

bne dep5

* Routine starts here!

start equ *

* sei

* inc $d40e

* lda #$fe

* sta $d301

sec

jsr get

rol @

sta ff

dep5 lda #1

bcc dep6

jsr get

rol @

dep6 sta bt

dep7 jsr get

ldx #1

bcc put

lsr @

bne dep2

jsr get

bcs dep1

tay

jsr get

sta ad+1

sta put+2

bcc dep7 !

* Set address of packed data here!

* (or make your own "get" routine)

get lda $ffff

inc get+1

bne ret

inc get+2

ret rts

*exit inc $d301

* lsr $d40e

* cli

* rts

end of code

If you want disable ROM while depacking,

just un-remark some lines (I bet you

know which) and replace "beq ret" with

"beq exit".

It is useful if you want to have some

data in RAM under ROM.

If you have any questions, just

contact me.

Fox sends greetz to all of coders!

[/code]

just tried it... you gain unbelievable net 1 byte.... in flashpack 2.1...

Yeah, I tried some packers too and it seems packing so small file will not be very effective. May be XIP will help me but I'm affraid the only way is to find some holes in my code...

F.

Hi there!

Greetings,

Manuel

Well... Here is test version with increasing number of meteors. May be it is changing too quickly but the result is clean (in my opinion). Sooner or later this game becomes absolutely unplayable. And I hate unplayable games so much!!! So I think I'll not make any changes on it any more. Astro Road will be simply test of your attention and patience.

F.

astro_road__test_.zip

BTW: The screen flickers up and down when using Atari800Win. Any idea what might be the reason?

It seems to be written for the PAL A8. Switch your setting to PAL50.

:idea: How about changing the VBLANK routine so the game is playable via NTSC or PAL. I haven't looked at the code so I assume this is where the problem is.

I just played this game and it reminds me of Ski! that was published in COMPUTE! Magazine :thumbsup:

One thing they did to encourage the player to move up is the score would increase faster. Also when the player moved up the game would scroll faster for increased difficulty.

It seems to be written for the PAL A8. Switch your setting to PAL50.

Thanks, that helped.

:idea: @_Fandal_: Don't forget to mention that when submitting. Or submit a 60Hz version too. That one would look better on emulators anyway. Especially on my 60Hz LCD. :)

I just played this game and it reminds me of Ski! that was published in COMPUTE! Magazine  :thumbsup:

Looks like you've memorized each and every issue. :)

One thing they did to encourage the player to move up is the score would increase faster. Also when the player moved up the game would scroll faster for increased difficulty.

That's the problem with 1K games, you have to make compromises. Each and every feature requires some valueable byte and you run short of them very fast.

I just played this game and it reminds me of Ski! that was published in COMPUTE! Magazine  :thumbsup:

Looks like you've memorized each and every issue. :)

Actually I've been transcribing a book for Kevin Savetz for a while now and this game is in there. Now that one of my transcribing projects is nearly complete :D I'll start back on this one.