IGNORED

Contra: Shattered Soldier

I liked it, but there was one thing that annoyed me and made me stop playing. The fact that unless you get a perfect on every stage (that is you must kill everyone and never die) you cannot get the best ending or even see the last two stages. Since the game is ungodly difficult, I gave up. Why would I want to play game that I can't even see the ending to?

Tempest

Contra SS kicks ass! This was actually the game that prompted me to buy a PS2 in the first place. Being old school and all, I wasn't disappointed. The gameplay, with its numerous boss-like sequences and pattern-based gameplay, reminds me more of Hard Corps than the original game or Super C. Yeah, it's hard, but with enough practice it slowly got easier. I put in many hours...

I liked it, but there was one thing that annoyed me and made me stop playing.  The fact that unless you get a perfect on every stage (that is you must kill everyone and never die) you cannot get the best ending or even see the last two stages.  Since the game is ungodly difficult, I gave up. Why would I want to play game that I can't even see the ending to?

Tempest

All I can tell you is practice, practice, practice. I recommend using the 30-life code (at the title screen, on controller two press up, up, down, down, L1, R1, L2, R2, L3, R3, start). At the very least, this may help you get through a level and unlock its training mode. If you need any specific strategies, e-mail me.

In order to unlock stages 6, and 7, you need an A rating on the preceding level, but not necessarily an S. Also, completing 5, 6, or 7 on normal difficulty with any rating unlocks the training mode, so you can practice the level as much as you want before tackling it for real. To get the best ending, you need to have an overall rating of A.

It's actually possible to die and still get an S rating on a stage (or even the whole game). If you die, just press start and select "Retry". It costs you a continue, but it blanks your stats for whatever level you're on and gives you another shot at an S. I've beaten the game with an S, but I died once at one of the last bosses (you think I wasn't pissed? :x ). Incidentally, doing so unlocks a weird little movie. (Contra Vs. Rocket Knight...?) One of these days, I'll beat the entire game without dying and without that restart crutch.

This game is impossibly hard but if you memorize the patterns and practice like hell (many many many hours) you can make it. I gave up but it doesn't mean its a bad game, its excellent! I hope another Contra comes out....

You mean other than the upcoming "Neo Contra"?