IGNORED

Championship Rally, full throttle or stuck in the mud?

Gunstar

Ok, I gave you guys my first impressions, which weren't bad, but I noticed some stuff I wish was different right away. After putting in about 5 or 6 hours of playtime, and reaching season 5, I've seen all but two tracks (the last two are still locked), unless there is a hidden track or two. |icon_innocent.gif I think I'm pretty qualified to give a thorough review at this point.

Control

I become pretty good at this racer at this point and know how to handle the car and what can be done and what can't. So, does this mean the controls are perfect? No. I'm good at Checkered Flag and SuperCross 3D on the Jaguar which have horrid controls. But they aren't bad, just a little sluggish. This wouldn't be as disappointing as it is, however little, if it weren't for the fact that you can see that the computer controlled cars have more responsive handling. Slighlty quicker steering is needed. I also don't really see the point in the slow accerlation in Championship mode either, except to give the two slower cars in the pack a head start, though it gives the leader a lead that is unvorgiving on the shorter tracks. I still want a handbrake and to be able to crash through stuff with speed reduction and damage, but I hate the deadstops now, like I hate them on AtariKarts on the Jaguar and Checkered Flag on the Lynx.

Track design/layout

Some bumps and jumps (and jumpable curbs/sidewalks) would be nice, as it is the pitfalls are oil (actually can be used to your advantage once mastered 8) ) and what appear to be potholes, that just slow you down like going on the grass/dirt. Then there are the actual pitfalls like cliffs and water and other holes, off track, but easily hit if you're not used to them, you sink and are reset. but there is a nice variety of tracks though too few. There are only pavement and icey tracks that I have seen so far, and the last two look like pavement too. Some dirt tracks with mud and bumps/hazards would have been cool. What's a rally game without offroad courses? What is there is good though, sometime frustrating (like downtown with the dead ends). There is a useful map in the lower righthand corner that can be shut on and off with option1 button.

Graphics

The graphics are as good as most games Atari released for the Lynx, though nothing special, some better artwork would have been cool, but it's good. some of the tracks are a bit dull, like the meadow, and coastal is actually quite dull too. The other tracks have a bit more variety, and the last ones, thogh I haven't played them yet, look good from the maps.

Solid graphics that get the job done and do have some cool details, but they could be better.They are is fast and smooth graphics.

Gameplay

Addictive, the A.I. can be good, but you have the best and worst computer controlled drivers, they do try to mess with you sometimes, especially after you've messed with them. This game is just plain fun to play, even if I wish there were some changes. it's got loads of replay value, even with only 8 tracks.

Sound

it gets the job done.

Overall

I still want a sequel with the changes I mentioned and a track construction option (AND dirt tracks!), but it's a great first effort in the genre and has the classic playability and long-time addictiveness of classic Atari games. This game should definately be in the library of every Lynx fan, especially if you are a racing fan.

Control-6.5

Graphics-7.5

Sound-5

Gameplay-9

Replay value-8

The changes I've suggested would be all it takes to put all those numbers up to 10. Except maybe sound...that could be better, but I can't suggest something specific there, maybe ingame music?

Ok, I gave you guys my first impressions, which weren't bad, but I noticed some stuff I wish was different right away. After putting in about 5 or 6 hours of playtime, and reaching season 5, I've seen all but two tracks (the last two are still locked), unless there is a hidden track or two. |icon_innocent.gif I think I'm pretty qualified to give a thorough review at this point.

Without cheats this could take ages to unlock. Did you find all the hidden passages?

Tschau,

Sage

Without cheats this could take ages to unlock. Did you find all the hidden passages?

Tschau,

Sage

I've found only two "shortcuts" :roll: in the game so far, one on the downtown track and one on the alaska track, I roll my eyes becuase they are so small (entrances) and one has something blocking it, that you bounce around trying to get through, and waste more time using them, and do more damage, so they seem pointless to me.

I've found only two "shortcuts" :roll:  in the game so far, one on the downtown track and one on the alaska track, I roll my eyes becuase they are so small (entrances) and one has something blocking it, that you bounce around trying to get through, and waste more time using them, and do more damage, so they seem pointless to me.

The ones which I know (sorry about the track names, but I do not have them in mind ;-):

One in the first track

None in the second

One in "downtown"

One in the "coast"

Two in "Alaska"

One in "Valley"

I do not remember about "Formula 1"

Controls 6.5 and Gameplay 9?

So controls aren't related to gameplay?

:?

If your rating system would have some logic, gameplay could not be 9 if controls were 6.5. But don' feel touched by this: even the big game magazines ratings more than often lack some coherent logic, and they pretend to be so professional. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed review (wish IGN would have taken the time:-().

This was my first project and if I'd create a sequel I would know now how to create much bigger tracks and how to make it faster. Bigger tracks I think would be very interesting as well besides control...

Computer A.I. is difficult to do on Lynx because of the cpu power. So yes there are some AI computer cheats needed probably.

BTW there's also a shortcut in Formula. And if you completed all seasons you get the hint how to unlock all tracks at once.

Computer A.I. is difficult to do on Lynx because of the cpu power. So yes there are some AI computer cheats needed probably.

Hell, the AIs are cheating anyway ;-)

I only say sprite collision ...

BTW there's also a shortcut in Formula. And if you completed all seasons you get the hint how to unlock all tracks at once.

But this requieres time to open :-/

Or is there another one i didnt found yet?

The shortcut to unlock all tracks is very fast (there are actually 2).

Sprite collision on lynx is also quite a problem. For CR I used hardware collision which is very accurate but it takes 8KB. But I think you mean the sprite collision control (what happens after the collision). I liked the micro machine control and that's pretty much it's modelled after.

The shortcut to unlock all tracks is very fast (there are actually 2).

Well I know one. But its very annoying if you try to play with 3 ppl, because all have to unlock it. You never know who is the one which must choose the track.

For CR I used hardware collision which is very accurate but it takes 8KB. But I think you mean the sprite collision control (what happens after the collision). I liked the micro machine control and that's pretty much it's modelled after.

I meant if the AIs are out of sight there is no collision checking any more.

;-)