IGNORED

The prices at Goodwill really piss me off

PatrickDBowlingo

You know, a Goodwill store is supposed to be a cheap place for under privilaged people to buy decent quality items at a low price. They get the merchandise for free and then rape the public when they price it.

Example:

My Goodshill (err Goodwill) store charges $3 each for Atari 2600 games. Now granted, thats not a *big* deal but $3 each for games that are over 20 years old?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!

Anyway....

quote:

Originally posted by opivy10:

A place here had atari 5200 games for $7 each on monday. Sad thing is i bet they are gone now, i always see over priced stuff there, and then its gone.

So opivy10-

Was it the Goodwill on Cobb Parkway? I got some 5200 games from there for about $1 a couple of months ago.

I just went to Goodwill here in Seattle on Monday, picked up about 8 common Colecovision carts (which I happily didn't have yet), and about four 2600 carts. in total it cost me $10.77 including tax for the 12 carts. They also had a bunch of Intellivision carts I didn't get.

However, I do admit I visit that goodwill every so often and the above luck was better than usual. Usually you'll find one or 2 carts like space invaders if anything at all. Although I did get a Pooyan from there for 99 cents not more than 2 months ago

Hey NE, I used to live in the northwest about 6 months ago California sucks in comparison. Anyway, where I lived, most goodwills had surplus stores where you could dig through piles of crap and sometimes find great stuff at amazing prices. Usually you could find atari's for $1 in the "as is" section, then go inside the store and buy the AC adapter for $4. Do they have these in Seattle too?

I went to college in the Bay Area and remember always seeing 2600 stuff (but then again that was 1990 or so).. Where in the NW did you live?

Yes this Goodwill has a Surplus store on the outside (it's the one near Safeco Field.. home of the Mariners! woot!).. Anyway when I usually go there it's mainly just stacks of clothes and rarely anything else. But as usual, I'm sure it varies daily over time.

I did however find a minty Colecovision within Goodwill a while ago (the one I'm collecting for now) and yes it was parted out. Power supply was 2 bucks. Console was 7 bucks, And I later found the RF switch in the toys section for a buck or so (I passed on it). etc.

Here we go. Bugbear time. A goodwill store. I'm guessing that's like a charity shop over here*. They get stuff for free, sell it cheap and use the money from those sales to do charitable and good work. And you, you scum (oh you are), who have decent jobs and earn good money have the temerity to complain about paying a dollar too much for something. The fact is you would love to rip these people off, cheat them, lie to them to get a discount, do anything you possibly could to get the deal you want. They in the meantime have been given goods (for free) by people who actually give a damn about something, then volunteers who work (for free) sell on those goods and you, you greedy sonsa dogs want to screw them over for some computer games? How many of you if you found a rare cart would pay them what you thought it was worth. Very few I suspect.

Oh and the guy who said 'rape the public', please have a think about what you wrote.

Thanks for the rant

Have fun

Atarion

*Incidently if I have completley misunderstood the concept behind goodwill stores then please feel free to shoot my dog.

I'm guessing that's like a charity shop over here*. They get stuff for free, sell it cheap and use the money from those sales to do charitable and good work.  

Actually, goodwill is a donations shop, that employs those with disabilities, they dont give money to charities htat i know of, just the employees,, and none of ours are disabled. its nothing like a salvation army or something that helps the needy. and i am not scum, nor are my fellow atari collectors. Please take that remark back, or i WILL shoot your dog.

Atarion, calm down a bit. I think the frustration exhibited on this topic comes from seeing a game somewhere for $1-3 and then seeing it somewhere else for much more. I don't think it has as much to do with the actual value. There aren't too many people who think Atari stuff has any real value in the first place. Unfortunately thrift and goodwills are a few of the only places left to find these games, so we have no choice but to shop there. Any bickering is just a normal by-product of trying to find what you are looking for. (Like how KAYBEE's prices for toys are 3 bucks more than Toys R Us)

I don't mind paying $5 for an Atari game (Its five lousy bucks). Its when those pesky peddlers at the Flea try to gouge the price up to $15 or more that I get mad. They are the real scum.

Now bring us your dog.

Just kidding

Stan

OK, who's just stunned that somebody used the word "temerity" on an AtariAge message board??

As for my opinion, and I know you have all been waiting for it I feel as though stores like Goodwill are doing us a service by even selling game equipment when they get it in. So what if they don't know that loose Space Invaders isn't worth $5 or that Boxed Quadrun (long story there...) is worth more than $5. Their job is to try and raise money for the less fortunate, or to sell the less fortunate nice stuff (as Atarion said). As for me, I buy stuff when I can from thrift shops, I don't care if I spend "too much", because I know that I am helping someone else with the money I spend. The ONLY time I ever regretted buying something at a thrift store was when I bought my Sega Menacer (later found to be non-functioning) for $17, and then was given one (working) 10 minutes later at the next place I went to. But still, I know my $17 went to a good cause, so I'm not upset over it. I shop at thrifts for a hobby, but my hobby may be helping out somebody live a better life, and for that I say bring on the $5 Atari games!!!!

Before I quit rambling, my latest thrift deal was a working $3 Commodore 64, I had bought a broken one at an online auction for $28, luckily the broken C64 had a working Disk Drive, so now I have a full working system

quote:

Originally posted by PatrickDBowlingo:

Example:

My Goodshill (err Goodwill) store charges $3 each for Atari 2600 games. Now granted, thats not a *big* deal but $3 each for games that are over 20 years old?

Look at it this way:

If those $3 games were Chase the Chuck Wagon, Swordquest Waterworld, Mangia, Air Raid, and 6 or 7 of those Xante games and a few Lab Loaners this would be a MAJOR brag post.

Makes $3 per game look not so bad, huh?

The Goodwill stores around here almost never have video games... the only things I've seen of any value were a Coleco Adam (System only), and a Combat and Donkey Kong for the Intellivision. I bought the Donkey Kong cartridge, and haven't seen anything good since.

--Zero