IGNORED

How can people say Ninja Gaiden is "so hard"

I do not see what is soooo hard supposedly about Ninja Gaiden, granted you get your butt kicked around a bit at first, but once you get the hang of it, you handle yourself fine. At least on NORMAL mode anyways. The only boss I had severe trouble with was Alma, and Itagaki said he put like 3 times as much work into her A.I. and all that to make her the hardest boss.

And I don't see why some people have thrown their controllers for the first time with Ninja Gaiden. Everytime I have died in this game, it was my fault. The controls to this game are pretty much flawless from what I have seen.

I have thrown stuff over numerous other games though. Such as battles in Final Fantasy 8 and 9, in which I was cursing like a drunken sailor at a stupid character to do their thing and attack the enemy (who is busy attacking like 3 times in a row or something) and I also threw my copy of Tomb Raider 3 across my bedroom due to I forget what (though I was 14 then).

But Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite games of all time. Great graphics, great controls, lots of weapons to choose from, enemies from attack helicopters and battle tanks to huge dragons and demons, it is a gamer's dream.

So why do people call this game so difficult is beyond me. All you gotta do is turn aggressive, and start jumping and rolling and flipping all over the place if you are in a dire situation. And block decently!! And counter-attack. And everything is fine.

The game IS difficult, but not SUPER ridiculously difficult, at least not unless you are fighting like in HARD mode I guess. And when you die, it's not because of some stupid control flaw in the game.

Hopefully I can play through the game in super-hard mode too :D :D 8)

Also, what is up with people complaining about the camera!?! The ONLY time the camera ever went wacko on me was when I was battling Alma. Otherwise, the camera is fine. When I first started the game, I was a little iffy about not being able to control the camera, but now it is no problem. I just re-align the camera behind Ryu or use first-person view mode when I need a better look.

Also, there is no real point of this post, I am just stating an opinion here because I feel like it 8) :P

I think that part of what people weren't used to was the aspect of regular (non-boss) enemies re-appearing at exactly the same points where they did if that section of the screen happened to travel too close to the borders. So that if an enemy appears and you stop moving, once you smack him after he moves closer to you (the force of the blade driving you back a couple pixels), the exact same enemy will reappear on the edge of the screen and come after you again. This aspect can make it pretty frustrating in an area where the ground pulls you in any given direction...or in areas that must be handled like a single-screen platformer. More people were probably used to the "once you stomp 'em, they stay dead" theory.

But you are correct that it usually only takes a few attempts to get used to in in any area.

(die) (continue) (die) (continue)...etc.

Ninja Gaiden is all about memorization. When you learn the patterns of the enemies and know how to respond to them, the game's challenge diminishes. It was the same deal with Shadow of the Beast... it's considered one of the toughest games ever made, but beating it is a simple matter of knowing where each enemy will strike and when to punch.

JR

I think Halo more depends on your skills with first-person shooters; I know of some guys who played it on EASY mode and had to use a cheat to be it; I played it on NORMAL, but I found the library to be extremely difficult. And then I know of some guys who beat it on LEGENDARY in a few days and thought it was nothing special.

I have never played it on Legendary personally and I don't intend to, cuz I don't really like the game too much. I just beat it for the storyline. But I guess it just depends on one's skill with a FPS as to how difficult Legendary mode is.

• 10 years later...