Saikyo

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:20 PM

Post #38

Group Icon

Stargunner

icon_mad.gif What an absolute TURD!!!! icon_mad.gif

Put it this way if it was the actual game prototype and he wanted so so so much

for it WHY did he RUIN the lable?

He just DEVALUED the proto! icon_frown.gif and he may have even BROKEN the PCB. icon_mad.gif

Let's just say this, If this turns up online some one who is going to help preserve

it better win it because story is sad, unbeleivably sad! icon_mad.gif icon_frown.gif

Not only did this shop onwer wreck the label but he damaged or perhaps even wrecked the Rom, all out of greed.

But let's not get off topic with past events. Instead we should see and hope that Tempest gets the cart working. Since it is going to a professional, the cart may have a better chance at recovery.

Get Well Meltdown!

Get Well Soon! Get Well Meltdown

Meltdown. We have all watched you travel down the road. You were born at Atari and made your way to the dark streets where a Crack-Head found you. He sold you for 25 cents, which broke my heart. Then when we almost had you, a tyrant almost killed you blinded by greed.

Now we are united and with God's will and our own strength, will will see you come alive in 4-bit color to dance amongst the stars again.

Click Link:

http://angelwinks.net/card.cgi?0906211707055941

post-4697-1126056052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atari Charles

This post has gotten over 20,000 hits.

Interesting to see if the cart can be repaired.

What technology with the Professional have to use to fix this Meltdown cart?

This Steve the Store Owner sounds like one heck of a nice guy :roll:

I also found out about this time that the owner had opened up the cart and taken the EPROM out. Why he decided to do that is anyone's guess. To make matters worse he bent some pins when he put it back in, so the prototype currently wasn’t working! Once he discovered it wasn't working he called up another collector to figure out what was wrong with it. The collector told him it was probably the inverter chip and that he could fix it and made an offer on the prototype. So Frank asked me if I still wanted to make my offer. I told him yes go for it. The store owner (Steve) then called the other collector up to see if he wanted to make a better offer, he said no and I won the prototype.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Edited by Atari Charles

This Steve the Store Owner sounds like one heck of a nice guy :roll:

Jesus, get off your goddam high horse. Some guy with very little interest in Atari games comes into possession of an unreleased prototype. Two collectors automatically start offering him money, and he gives it to the person who offers the most. What a MONSTER! How DARE he!

I would have done the same thing. Except for the whole breaking it part.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money off of a game cartridge, but the fact that the store owner actually was carless with the cart and removed and replaced the ROM with such haphazardness, that it was damaged, makes him an ass.

You have to read the whole thread to really understand what happened. I know Tempest tried to lower emphasis on the store owner being a greedy Gollum, to be nice. But the fact is, the store owner wrecked a irreplaceable prototype out of greed.

People have argued that he is a conessuer of Japan and Japanese games, but so what. That doesn't make him a great guy.

There is nothing wrong with making money, but you don't have to screw up a one of a kind item to do it. The whole description of the events, what transpired, and the store itself, makes it sound like some slum pawnshop on skid row.

Sacralige!  :D

How about a spare, self-adhesive but easy removable Pac Man label? :D

669865[/snapback]

Sorry I got hung up on this part because it is too funny.

I have a spare picture label from Sears Space Invaders. If anyone wants it to disguise a prototype, I'll sell it for 5 gazillion dollars.

I'm kinda wonderin', though. I bought that Vaders cart and Sub Commander today when I realized Sub was an R5. There'a a thread in the 2600 forum that shows what they both looked like. Looked like Sub has been underwater for real, and for a long time (hey, it works and it looks great now!).

I knida wonder if I got to buy somethin like Survival Island if I'm gonna run into this. Survival Island looks like a proto no matter what NTSC copy I've seen. For years I thought it was a proto and my daddy had borrowed it from a play tester.

In any case, that spare Vaders label might have a good use. All I need is a little magic tape and presto! That 2600 Ikari Warriors becomes Sears Space Invaders (with a picture label) while I pay only $1 for it! :D

Heh, that or the final release of Activision #2 becomes Oink! for a day!

You have to read the whole thread to really understand what happened.

I was there, dude. I was the one in the middle of this whole thing, I know exactly what happened. Better than you do.

932551[/snapback]

Indeed. :)

I will get moving again on this shortly, things have just been so hectic on my end that I haven't had time to worry about it.

Tempest

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
No change.  With my new house and all I haven't had time to even think about it.  I promise I will post something when I have news.  Please stop bumping this thread.

Tempest

996965[/snapback]

I'm going to lock it for now to keep it from getting bumped again. When you have an update, you can always unlock it.