IGNORED

Project: 2600 Voice Module

starfighter1314

I would pay a premium to get a 2600 Voice cart from you. I am currently working on a music album featuring vintage synthesizers, and to be able to include VCS-synthesized sounds would be a dream come true. If you end up having the cart produced in a limited fashion, please let me know. I'd be interested in buying at least three (two for backups, and one for use). Thanks, and good luck on this awesome project!

OK, I got the Adventure VSM hack up on the website. You can view it at http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ncook/vsm_adv.mpg but I must apologize in advance. The video is VERY poor quality because I had to video record the television. I could have used the video outs on my TV, but then I couldn't utilize the camcorder microphone.

Much mahalo to Nukey for helping me out with the victory sequence - that guy knows this game like the back of his hand!

Hope you enjoy this version of Adventure, or should I say "Impossible Adventure"....

-s

Joe, the Emic Text-to-Speech Module is a way cool device! Can it do different voices too? This would really make for a cool project with the joystick port - no limitations on recording sizes. I didn't go the text to speech route mainly because of cost. As it stands, I can make one of these modules now for about $25, not including the joystick housing. (Of course, I try not to cannibalize working joysticks!) This includes the sound chip which can be reprogrammed.

Nope, it can't do different voices. You can adjust the speed and pitch of the output, though, so you could switch between different sounding speech, but I wouldn't really classify that as different voices. It is a little pricey compared to your solution. :)

Joe

So let me get this straight... You can assign ANY sampled sounds to this thing? How much room on a cart does it take? I mean, on the adventure example you had... How much more room was used on the cart? Is it the cart that holds the sample?

2nd question, ANY INFO on when this will be available? I've not seen one thread where the guy who created this has given ANY release info... - D

• 4 weeks later...
I think this would be perfect for Atwwong's Haunted Adventure hack, making a perfect game even better!

_Tim :)  8)

I just found this thread (what a slowpoke I am)! It would be cool to add voice samples or other sound enhancements to Haunted Adventure (I wanted an evil, echoing laugh in the sequel) or any other homebrew or hack. Awesome job! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not sure if there is still interest in this project now that the AtariVox is out. But if you want to make your own voice synthesis module, I posted some instructions on my Web site (http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ncook/vsm.pdf). It will probably cost about $30 in parts. I will program the ISD chip for anyone at no cost - I just need the sound files and chip. Have Fun!