IGNORED

Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined :)

Nukey Shay

That problem was overlooked in the last version. I had forgot to include their specific horizontal box position when performing a monster reversal (so it moves out of position to a map location that has no directions...and then picks one at random). This is corrected here. I'm not sure, but the screen roll could have come from there (since the game must make 6 passes through the map routine to come up empty).

In addition, there was also the bug of "plus" variations that only feature 1 or 2 monsters...if an energizer is eaten, 1 or 2 are allowed to stay lethal. But the game doesn't "know" which ones when doing the sound effects...so that the energizer sound effect would sitll be active even if neither of the monsters change to blue. This is fixed as well.

Hack__Em.zip

Edited by Nukey Shay

• 1 month later...

Hey, Nukey, small bug in the latest build. On an Atari 2600 (Kroko cart), the screen rolls at the beginning of each maze/turn, right as the "GO" message disappears.

I think I'm a few versions late in seeing all the new features, but I love the new title screen!

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno where that's coming from, because I can't replicate the problem w/ emulation. But I did make some edits that might have been the cause.

A bunch more additions as well...full list in the change log :)

Good news: The latest build doesn't have the roll. Thanks!

This is amusing. When I run Stella 2.2 under Windows, the software renderer doesn't draw the screen quite right in full-screen mode. However, for Hack 'Em, I think it's actually an improvement!

post-6115-1159321623_thumb.jpg post-6115-1159321630_thumb.jpg

I had to take these with my (old) digital camera, because Windows and Stella both save screen shots with the "proper" aspect ratio. Oh well, if anything, my camera makes these screen shots look even more like the original arcade game. :)

Dunno where that's coming from, because I can't replicate the problem w/ emulation. But I did make some edits that might have been the cause.

A bunch more additions as well...full list in the change log :)

Good news: The latest build doesn't have the roll. Thanks!

This is amusing. When I run Stella 2.2 under Windows, the software renderer doesn't draw the screen quite right in full-screen mode. However, for Hack 'Em, I think it's actually an improvement!

post-6115-1159321623_thumb.jpg post-6115-1159321630_thumb.jpg

I had to take these with my (old) digital camera, because Windows and Stella both save screen shots with the "proper" aspect ratio. Oh well, if anything, my camera makes these screen shots look even more like the original arcade game. :)

This is happening because of an interaction between SDL and fullscreen modes in Windows; it doesn't happen in Linux. Incidentally, you can play with the aspect ratio in OpenGL mode and get a similar result, and actually save a snapshot with that aspect intact. Attached is an example, when using aspect ratio of 1.1.

post-1512-1159371156_thumb.png

• Like 1

This is happening because of an interaction between SDL and fullscreen modes in Windows; it doesn't happen in Linux.

I figured it was something like that. I don't have to worry about the soft renderer at all in linux since OpenGL actually works properly in that case (score another one for open source).

Incidentally, you can play with the aspect ratio in OpenGL mode and get a similar result, and actually save a snapshot with that aspect intact. Attached is an example, when using aspect ratio of 1.1.

I take it that's from the "original" Pac-Man by Ebivision?

Incidentally, you can play with the aspect ratio in OpenGL mode and get a similar result, and actually save a snapshot with that aspect intact. Attached is an example, when using aspect ratio of 1.1.

I take it that's from the "original" Pac-Man by Ebivision?

No, it's from an old hackem binary I had lying around here. I'm sure it's out of date compared to the one you're using; I just wanted to show how it would look with OpenGL doing the stretching.

I think I missed something... there's only three ghosts now? :?

/edit/ I figured it out... I was trying to change it using the select switch. :dunce:

Yup...I probably forgot to mention it as an "official" change. I figured I might as well add it in (because there were some gripes about the game difficulty), as it didn't cost anything to do it and I still had the rom to spare. I'm working on adding in multiple monster speeds as opposed to just fast when lethal and slow when vulnerable :P

Here's that test...

For the first 4 levels, the monsters move at a slightly slower speed for a while. When you reach the apple stage, the monsters stay fast (as in previous versions). Can't let it get too easy ;)

7800 users:

Are the blue phantom dots present in this version?

Hack__Em.zip

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I took some pictures of me using hackomatic II I am nowhere as good as neukey and his HACK'em I just clicked

the mouse on hackomatic II and changed the go to ready.. I just wanted to see how good my pictures looked the cart doesnt have

hangly man I cant seem to figure out what to send the burner I wonder if nukey ever produced one cause it would sell like hot cakes here..

anyway there is a pic of my crockrocks cart I made w printer and pictures of hackem w < aw on intro screen its a older version.

i decided to clean this post up cause the other older one was to long of a rant.

post-13028-1235118210_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235118233_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235118248_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235118272_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235118290_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235118484_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235119660_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235119770_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235119974_thumb.jpg

111.bin

post-13028-1235120356_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1235120573_thumb.jpg

a1.bin

a1wwins.bin

adam1.bin

adams_.bin

awwins.bin

Edited by awace

this post totally sucked and was a even longer rant so i just ediedted it to be nothing..

continue w the original Atari 2600 hacks > Hack'em /hangly man combined: ).

oh the attched file needs to be renamed to atariedit.exe its just hackomatic II It doesnt require

.net but is not as good as hackomatic III.

Also thank you Nukey for at least responding to my pm.

I didnt mean you were bitchy I guess i was being pushy I applogize twice....

I was trying to find out if you Sell any Versions as carts or are they just for enjoyment Downloads..

atariedit.bin

Edited by awace

• 4 weeks later...

Post in Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined RE:RE .

/s..

oh before i forget I had problems w Stella xp and open gl too.

you must reinstall stella xp this is why i keep stella in its own directory and the roms in a totaly sepreate one.

cause if you change to the wrong open gl settings it wont let you fullscreen so if youreinstall and pick

original COLOR PALLETTE then the colors are perfect also you dont really need open gl this is what i have for settings om my stella

this is fullscreen after I hit alt enter it still comes back also sometimes when running a pal game you have to hit alt enter a couple of times to get it to stick.. this is why non open gl seems to at least on my card work better

post-13028-1237893148_thumb.jpg

Edited by awace

Editing a post in Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined

I Decided to leave a link to NUKEY's Game since its HIS POST.. :cool: :| :|

File(s)

Hack__Em.zip ( 114.21K ) Number of downloa

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...amp;id=61452ds: 114

here is a nother link must be his latest version

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=61452

i blantley just copyied the shortcut link from his 1st post.

Post in Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined RE:RE .

/s..

is there a version of hangly man I could purchase or is it just for download.??? I am new ok not super new but new enough here to not know..

I will try to behave I just get hyper sometimes when sleepy and rant a lot.

oh also you can click on topics on control panel and unsubscribe from email notifications for every time someone or youre self posts cause this can be really annoying I appoligize for bugging nukey so mutch on burning roms cause he obvibously dosnt have a burner and wouldnt know so I decided to make a new topic called buring roms to eeproms so if anywone has help please help..

PS >>PPS\,..,.

WAY to go nukey you are the greatest I worship youre Atari 2600 programming skills you made that pachack so realistic it looks almost arcade quality you could actually make a real arcade game out of a atari the way you made the game look so real and the mazes are awesome I espically like the way you made the ghost points they still dont take to long so you can eat all ghosts before they

''CHANGE BACK'' and you also did a great job emulating the pacplus i also thank you for making miss packman Plus © 1982/1983 midway so close to the real thing w the apple head ghosts and how in new versions you made the fruit better and the fruit on the new spot where the bonus is a great idea I guess in that game that seems to be the place where you could probably have pretty mutch any macro font you would like cause you have the whole area under ghost pen.. A Nother feature i liked is the pause/ b/w switch feature I like games that take advantage of the B/w switch there is so many games lacking use of the switch its a shame not more people thought of the B/W switch.

A nother point i have to make is my freind was watching me play atari the other day so we went threw all the GOOD games like football I actually got my but kicked at the end of the game at the begining i was wining then defender go up into the radar to jump to hyper space i didnt know that then we played night driver and some other games i showed him game 13 on missile command no points RF for rob fulup,

then I showed him pacman boy he agreed thats the stuped ist game atari or sears ever realesed I remember that christmas hannuka came early that year and sears forced atari to come out w pacman before both for the CHRISTMAS season I thought cool pacman I wanted one just for the lable and the box but when i tried it on the atari demo machine or the atari they had on display I thought to my self lame...

but when i saw youre game I showed steen and he said how the heck did someone get so good graphics into the atari w out more memmory on the atari he said is the game got more memmory in it I told him probably less than the 2 chip pitfall II and he said thats what atari should have had when pacman came out and i said noone knew what they knew now cause the lerning curve for atari was pretty mutch get game to work w as less memmory as possible cause in the 80's eeproms were expensive now a days just goto old computer junk pile and find some old pcb boards w eeproms or external modems have some and every c-mos chip on any 586 386 286 and slower probably has a eeprom chip plus most arcade games like birdie king II probably $20 on ebay would have 20 eeproms most 2732 and mrdo has 2764's so now people like nukey figured out the atari 2600 has more potentail just by squeezing in more code plus now that they have pal type chips and the 7404 and people make homwbrew games more often the bank switch routuines make the game beable to have way lots more lines of code this is what i think makes the atari 2600 way more sufisticated than people ever thought cause w say a 32k bankswitched game instead of a 8k pacman atari sears version . NUKEYS own game makes it look super realistic and since its got a new name he takes all credit. EVEN

PONG was licenced from MAGNAVOX but noone knew about it but since nukeys game has a differnt name he can do what he wants w it.. Its still the best new atari game ever to be a home brew considering it looks so real I like the hanglyman2 and the pacplus2 the mazes are correct and the fact that the mazes change on the levels is Really the best thing about it it keeps you from being board. I also like the intro/attrack marquee screens and the checkerboard boot thing and how it boots looking just like a Midway pacman or rally x board it really gives it a feel or realizim unmatched by any other atari Game COVER Game i ever seen....

• 2 weeks later...

Believe this or not. Today was the first time I ever tried Hack'Em!. I know, I should be beaten.

Anywho.... WOW!!!!!!! :-o :-o :-o post-2829-1239150582.gif

This is amazing. Arcade maze, mostly arcade close sound, intermissions, even the arcade self test screen garbage on start up. :cool: :thumbsup:

If this isn't the BEST 2600 Pac-Man out there, then I don't know what is.

Now, I have some questions and comments. I'm using the most recent version (per the link in the first message). 123,618 bytes, dated 10/4/2006. Also, I'm running this on the xbox port of z26.

Questions:

• Are the difficulty switches used? (If not, I have a suggested use for one).
  • Pressing Reset cycles through what seems like 16 game variations. 4 each for Hack'em, Hack'em 2, HanglyMan and HanglyMan 2. The only difference between each of the 4 variations appears to be the number of ghosts (from 4 to 1). Correct? (Edit: I notice intermissions only work on the games with 4 ghosts, and not the ones with only 3,2 or 1.)

Comments:

• The speed seems a tad fast at the begining? :ponder:
  • The game seems to be finished as best as I can tell, so put auto-start back in. :P I would like to suggest a difficulty switch (if they aren't being used) instead of the Color/BW switch for the toggle. I say this because not all emulators have the Color/BW switch (IE: z26 on Xbox doesn't, or atleast the function isn't mapped in any user selectable way), but they all have difficulty switches. ;)

Anywho, again, this is freaking amazing and excellent. :cool: :thumbsup:

Now go finish Ms.Hack! :P

Edited by Artlover

Auto-start was removed a long time ago (I can't remember the last version that had it) because there were a couple of unresolved problems when using it. The B&W switch just pauses the game in later versions. Since the game waits for a trigger press at the start of each level or life anyway, it was just something extra to assign to the switch.

Game reset cycles though the game modes, as you noticed. When I was hacking Jr. for speed, I noticed how easy it was to add it's method of easier games - by eliminating some of the monsters using the low bits of the game variation and using that as the upper limit to the monster's routines. I was already using a variable to track the variation, so that is another "why not?" option...it didn't "cost" anything to implement. Game select allows you to start on any level up to the 9th key. However, if you hold up on both controllers when starting a game, you will begin at level 254 (just a little split-screen development thing I left in...level 255 features a simulated rollover bug).

Difficulty switches:

Left difficulty controls how well the monsters track the player. In B difficulty, only the red monster will seek out the player, all others move randomly. In A difficulty, each of those random monsters are given a variable amount of time to seek the player as well. The arcade's method of tracking the player is not implemented in either mode, so this game is considerably "dumber" than it.

The right difficulty controls how fast the player moves. In B, the player can outrun all of the monsters on any level.

The score's color will indicate what position the switches are in, as a reminder. White = both B. Red = left A, right B. Blue = left B, right A. Green = both A.

Changing any console switch (other than color/B&W) will restart the game on the level selected. At the end of a game, the player is given the option of continuing at the last level reached (while the X sprite is displayed). Press the trigger on the stick while this icon is displayed to continue.

Regardless of the mode chosen, the monster's movements are possible to replicate from game to game...so it's possible to create solid patterns so long as you keep track of your own movements.

BTW the Ms. Hack version was pretty much abandoned, because I could never figure out why it doesn't work on real hardware...what's the point of a 2600 game that doesn't work on a 2600? ;)