IGNORED

Atari RPGs?

Lee Furie

Well hello gamers!

*sets up podium*

*taps microphone*

I play mostly role playing games and was wondering - besides Adventure, are there any other games that you might consider "role playing games" on Atari? Any Atari system as long as it's cartridge.

Thank you!

*falls off of podium*

*runs away*

Well, the biggest RPG I can think of for the Atari would be Dragonstomper, the Starpath game. There's also Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Swordquest games.

And for games that are less RPG and more adventure style games, there are Dark Chambers, Secret Quest, and even Superman. Although these are definitely not RPG's...

---Zero

I see your point, Ben. But I think most hardcore RPG-ists look for things like customization of characters, a variety of weapons, sub-quests, rich storylines.

I'd make a case for Pitfall II being a pseudo-RPG as well. (But its my fav game, so you know)

Atari 2600: Dragonstomper

Atari 5200: Quest for Qunitana Roo

Atari 7800: Dark Chambers

Atari Lynx: Distant Lands (hopefully coming in 2002 from Songbird)

Atari Jaguar: Towers II

The 2600 and 5200 were pretty limited in their ability to play RPG's as we know them today. The 7800 had a lot of potential that was never tapped, we all saw what the NES could do and it was similar in capability. Jag and Lynx weren't exactly RPG heavy. Now, if you get into Atari computers, you'll find more awesome RPG's than you can shake a stick at, but they're generally not on cartridge.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Alex ]

Here are some popular RPGs and their 2600 equivalents...

Zelda...Secret Quest

Dragon Warrior...Dragonstomper

Wizardry...Crypts of Chaos

Star Trek sims...Stellar Track

Gauntlet...Dark Chambers (not 2600 Gauntlet!)

JR

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Jess Ragan ]

The big reason you never saw a true RPG on a cartridge based classic console was memory storage. With a disk or a tape you could store all the character info as he developed, but to do that on a cartridge woudl require a battery back up of sometype. I know the Colecovision prototype Lord of the Dungeon tried this, maybe that's why it never got released (the cost was too high)?

Would it be possible to do some sort of battery back-up game on a system like the 2600, 5200, or 7800? Could the OS handle something like that?

Tempest

Actually, this brings up two unreleased 2600 games that would have been great: AD&D Treasure of Tarmin and Tower of Doom. I had both of these for the Intellivision and they are really great. Not sure they could have pulled it off on the 2600 platform though.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

Alex!

You played the 2600 versions of AD&D? How were they? And why can't somebody give up the ROMS?

Yes, Intellivision Productions had the proto carts at the show and they were allowing people to play them. They were actually very good, and quite complete. I should have taken more screenshots though! The ROMs are owned by Intellivision Productions and I doubt they will ever release them due to licensing issues with Wizards of the Coast (TSR). It's a little different issue for them to release something like that since they're a profit company and they could get in trouble. Since they've released several other games, I bet they would like to do it but can't. But if they can't sell them, I wish there were some way to release them freely. Unfortunately, when you mention the word "free" most companies suddenly become busy with other things.

Hopefully they'll have them at next year's CGE, and we'll see if we can get permission to temporarily dump them so that we can get some clean screen shots (with all the stages) through an emulator. But unless more copies turn up, don't hold your breath for an actual ROM release.

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Well and then there was Montezumas Revenge. About as close to an RPG as you got on the 2600... Which wasnt very.

That's one game I've never really played on the 2600. However, I spent a considerable amount of time enjoying it on the Atari 8-bit. It's one of my favorite 8-bit games, in fact (although I do have a large list of "favorite" 8-bit games.. ) How big is the 2600 version of Montezuma's Revenge?

I wouldn't really consider it an RPG, though. More like a platform game.

..Al

I know it is a stretch, but what about Riddle of the Sphinx? Think about it, you have collect objects and use them to solve puzzles. It is one of the few Atari 2600 games to have a health monitor. All in all, a very stripped down RPG.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Secret Quest ]

True enough I guess, I was just thinking of all those Read/Write commands the Atari 400/800 OS had for the Tape and Disk drives. I assumed a battery back up would use something like that, but since it's not really hardware I guess not.

Actually as I recall the Compumate instructions had instructions on how to build a tape player to save your programs on the 2600. I guess you could do something like that.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

Also, they could just release them without the "AD&D" part in the titles and be legal (that's why Adventures of Tron became Adventures of GX-12).

I've wondered myself why they haven't done this. It's not like these games have graphics that could absolutely be associated with anything in the AD&D universe. Although if some AD&D *rules* were used in the games' algorithms, those might have to be changed (remember when Fallout was supposed to be a GURPS-based game?) But these are 2600 games, so I doubt this would be very difficult.

However, given how long it's taken them to deliver Sea Battle and Sword Fight cartridges, maybe they figure they don't want to release anything else until they get that situation under control. I'm still waiting for a Steamroller ColecoVision cart that I paid for nearly a year ago. They list all three of these games as "Temporarily Out Of Stock". I was fortunate to have attended CGE2K1, where I was able to go to their booth and personally pick up my Sea Battle and Sword Fight carts (but they had no Steamrollers).

If they're in no position to manufacture carts, it would be nice if they removed the copyright screens and released the games for people to play.

..Al

Ok...I've tried to reply to this thread 4 times now, and have failed the first three for the most esoteric reasons. And the replies have gotten progressively shorter. Anyway...

In short: I don't think there are any technical issues preventing true RPGs for the 2600. It's just a lack of programmers willing to take on the task. (And it *is* a large task.) And the programmers will cite a lack of interested gamers.

So....

(maybe this one won't be so short?)

If people want to see true RPGs for the 2600, I suggest they show their interest here and elsewhere. Tell all your friends. Sign petitions. Offer bouties (yes!!!). If there is "enough" interest, someone might just decide to write one. About 4 years ago (has it really been that long?) some very promising RPG engine prototypes were written as demos and the hardware is there.

{SHAMELESS MEGACART PLUG} There is a 2600 cartridge format, called the "Megacart", that was developed *specifically* with RPGs in mind. It supports up to a megaBYTE (that's 8 megabits) of total memory. And half of that is battery-backed RAM. {/SHAMELESS MEGACART PLUG}

I'm convinced that the original "Legend of Zelda" and many other NES Era RPGs could be faithfully ported to the 2600, granted necessary graphics tradeoffs.

Any takers?

-Chris

PS. Any would-be 2600 RPG authors please email me before starting.