IGNORED

ESPN NFL 2K5

Yeah I just came back tonight from Charlotte, and for the past 2 weeks I've been playing the Xbox version. Personally I like it, but the guy I've been playing with doesn't think it's all that. I mean he thinks it's allright but he's hardcore Madden and just prefers the feel of it to that. Before any of you knock him, just note that the guy played about 25+ games of ESPN NFL 2k5 with me within 2 weeks so if he says he doesn't prefer it, he just doesn't. :P

But like I said.. I like it. I'll get it because it's only 20 bucks. That being said, I'm getting the next Madden as well.

I have the xbox version and I think it's the best football game I've ever played. I'm not a huge sports fan who buys sports games every year, so the $20 price tag helped in my purchase. But the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is solid, and the presentation is cool. I also think that the animations blow away anything I've seen with Madden. If you are getting it I would reccommend the Xbox version only though. The game was built off the Xbox, so the PS2 graphics are pretty bad compared to it...also at halftime (on the Xbox) they use the HD to do a Berman report showing actual replays from the first half...in the PS2 version, its just stills they show. I haven't played too much of the PS2 version so I don't know what other differences there are...I'm sure the online play is better on the Xbox too though.

*sniff* Sega Sports deserted us GCN owners....I liked their sports games, why didn't anyone else?? :sad: Well, when I get an Xbox I will be sure to pick this up as I have heard nothing bad about it...

Deserted Gamecube owners?

Chalk up the "desertion" to too few GC owners BUYING their game on top of Nintendo's high license fee.

Why continue to develop product for a platform where nobody buys it?

*sniff* Sega Sports deserted us GCN owners....I liked their sports games, why didn't anyone else?? :sad: Well, when I get an Xbox I will be sure to pick this up as I have heard nothing bad about it...

Deserted Gamecube owners?

Chalk up the "desertion" to too few GC owners BUYING their game on top of Nintendo's high license fee.

Why continue to develop product for a platform where nobody buys it?

Part of the problem is the Gamecube controller is the worst controller ever made for sports games.

Yep I have it...bought on its release date....GREAT game....I'm not a huge Madden fan, but always loved the 2K series on the DC......this is a great game and the ESPN license and presentation is amazing....

For $19.99 you CAN'T beat it!!

Go and grab a copy and enjoy NFL goodness!

Yep I have it...bought on its release date....GREAT game....I'm not a huge Madden fan, but always loved the 2K series on the DC......this is a great game and the ESPN license and presentation is amazing....

For $19.99 you CAN'T beat it!!

Go and grab a copy and enjoy NFL goodness!

ESPN has a LOT of neat things to look at. The ESPN tie-ins and the Sportscenter Half time and post game "shows" are AMAZING. Simply beautiful. The game is worth $20 just for those things.

HOWEVER, the game is lackluster in actual game play. There are plenty of glitches (clippping anyone! :x ) and the defensive playcalling is NEEDLESSLY complicated. The game is a little too slick, and there are not enough "down and dirty" plays. Plus the kicking game is just stupid. If I can kick a 65 yard field goal with the Chargers, the game needs help.

I'll stick with Madden, but mainly because I'm a HUGE football fan and prefer Madden's more realistic gameplay, but ESPN is fine for the gamer who will pick up the occasional sports game just for kicks.

From what I've played so far of it, which amounts to about 25 hours probably...

The animation is great. The presentation is top-notch. I *adore* when they pull out the ESPN charts to break things down. Totally awesome.

The franchise mode, which is the biggest reason for me to fall in love with a sports game (I played an entire 82 game season of NBA 2K1 with 10 minute quarters, for instance... And no, I really didn't have the time to do that!!) is wonderful and is the most deep of any franchise mode I've ever used. I love tweaking my team.

The gameplay is very solid for the most part. I don't understand passing yet, although I am getting better. Up until just recently, I was getting picked off one of every two throws. Now that I have started to understand how it works, I'm much more happy about it although I still get picked off by the computer four times in a game with only 5:00 quarters. Still trying to figure that out.

The running game is killer. When you run and turn, you can't just turn on a dime -- you have to use your momentum to turn and so on. This has caused me to make some excellent moves and fake out the defense in very releasitic ways, and has also caused me to get leveled more times than I care to recall. To the same extent, tackling is great.

I don't understand why the kicking arrow moves for the kickoffs but is stationary -- and pre-aimed -- for field goals. Granted, I'm playing on an easier level but I don't like the game holding my hand THAT much. Kickoffs are great though.

I think that the playcalling is good enough and everything else works. The crib mode seems to be okay, but I am saving up for the dartboard and depending how "playable" that is, that could really swing my opinion even higher.

There are a few bugs that stand out. There is a clipping bug as someone mentioned where if you get called on a long run, it is a much longer penalty than it is supposed to be. There are a few other crappy little glitches that I have seen -- Sometimes the refs don't call things that are blatantly obvious. You have to decide whether to use your Challenge flags then or wait until later -- In the same set of four downs, I had the opposing team twice throw to the sidelines and twice land obviously out of bounds. The gains were both 8 yards but they were close to field goal range. I ended up using both of my flags and winning, but when the same thing happened later in the game in the end zone, I was all tapped out.

The audio commentary gets repetitive, but if you turn it off the EPSN stuff keeps popping up, so you get stuff that is important -- like injury reports and so on -- that are going on, but aren't told to you. Sometimes, the commentary makes no sense. After throwing for an interception with 24 seconds left, the announcers declared that "The Bengals will start the first drive of the quarter deep in their own territory!" After kick off after halftime, the announcers declared, "The Packers have recovered the fumble, and will begin this drive from their own 20 yard line." Um... hunh?!?

The training modes suck. I did them all and I still don't really understand the passing game, as mentioned.

Overall, I wouldn't say the package is perfect but I am definitely happy that I got it. It has been played by far the most out of my current collection of games, and I am excited to go back and play it. I have never ever purchased a sports game that was actually for the same year since NBA 2K1 (which was a few months old when I finally picked it up) but I am extremely pleased that I spend the money on this game. I fully expect to purchase ESPN NBA 2K5 and ESPN MLB 2K5 (They won't go back to WSB, will they?) when they are released. I can't justify spending $50.00 on the same types of games though.

If you can justify spending $50, then I'd suggest renting both first as I have heard how different Madden is. If you can't, but think $20.00 would be cool, pick up ESPN for sure. It's worth it at that price and maybe even a little more!