IGNORED

What good is a 5200?

Great Hierophant

A 5200 is essentially a stripped down Atari 800 with a GTIA. An Atari 800 can do anything an Atari 5200 can do but the reverse is not true, an Atari 800 can do a whole lot more than a 5200. If you have an Atari 800, what do you a 5200 for?

Almost every single 5200 game released found its way to the Atari 8-bits. Only about 2 5200 games never saw their way to an Atari 8-bit computer in any form that I can determine and most of those games found their cartridges. Eliminate the hassle of the 5200 joystick but retain the analog paddle action. (You could also connect analog joysticks.) Very few 5200 games I know actually fully utilize the analog joystick well. (Missile Command is the only one I can think of off-hand.) Some games use the second button. (Compare Choplifter for the 8-bit and 5200.) Finally, some games, like Space Invaders, is far superior on the 5200 than on the 8-bit. But these games seem few and far between. Of course, a 5200 was probably about $800 cheaper than an 800.

Today there are two excellent reasons to have a 5200. Homebrews and prototypes.

Is Space Dungeon and Robotron exactly the same? I thought the 5200 version was different in that you use two analog sticks in the holder whereas the 8-bit version would be digital sticks (do you use two with the 8-bits)? Gremlins is a 5200 exclusive, but has it been ported to the 8-bits?

There is an very similar thread to this one (quite old) - I will see if I can find it and link it.

Take care,

RG

Is Space Dungeon and Robotron exactly the same? I thought the 5200 version was different in that you use two analog sticks in the holder whereas the 8-bit version would be digital sticks (do you use two with the 8-bits)? Gremlins is a 5200 exclusive, but has it been ported to the 8-bits?

There is an very similar thread to this one (quite old) - I will see if I can find it and link it.  

Take care,

RG

Gremlins and Space Dungeon weren't officially released on the 8-bit.

-Trackball controller.

-Dual robotron and Space Dungeon sticks...the difference being that you get that awesome controller holder and don't have to make your own.

-The 5200 is a heck of alot prettier....just a better overall presentation than that ugly brown box. Better packaging all around, better cartridge design, label design, box design etc....

-Trackball controller.

-Dual robotron and Space Dungeon sticks...the difference being that you get that awesome controller holder and don't have to make your own.

-The 5200 is a heck of alot prettier....just a better overall presentation than that ugly brown box. Better packaging all around, better cartridge design, label design, box design etc....

hmmmmmmmmm-

800XL - smaller, nicer package - no goofy TV switch no need for a 20x20 footprint for the console. Better joysticks, better keyboard :P

Now,

If we could get a 512 in 1 cart for the XL series :D

Oh, here we go again with the switch box argument. Seriously, do you LIKE having to reach behind your TV and manually move to switch to "game" mode before you can use your Atari? The 4-port switchbox for the 5200 wasn't perfect (power supply plugs into the switch box??? ), but it was certainly no step backwards, either.

My bigger issue with the switch box is how the power supply hooks into it - I accidently plugged the power into the RCA jack since they will fit into each other. The 'sound' it makes doesnt give a warm fuzzy either ;)

With S-Video monitor cable on the 800XL I dont have to work the switchbox just change the video input which I would find equivilent to changing the channel for the 5200

Not that I am anyone important, but, I agree with this point as well. What good is a 5200 especially with all of the stuff I have read about crappy controllers, switchboxes etc.. This is the sole reason why I personally decided to delve into the 8 bit computers instead of the 5200. Get an XEGS and you basically have a souped up 5200 except of the cartridge format incompatibilities. You can also get most 5200 rarities put onto a compilation multi-cart over at www.sunmark.com. I don't think I would ever pick up a 5200 unless I wanted to trade or sell it.

I think nostalgia is on the side of the 5200 as well. As you read old video game magazines, the 5200 made a big splash and many people remember it as the high-end Atari that had graphics like the arcade. I just don't think the 8-bit computer line has this. Why get an Atari 2600, when you can get an Atari 7800 that does everything the 2600 does and more? Simple, the 2600 reminds people of a certain time and the look of it just has something - same thing with the 5200.

My bigger issue with the switch box is how the power supply hooks into it - I accidently plugged the power into the RCA jack since they will fit into each other.  The 'sound' it makes doesnt give a warm fuzzy either ;)

With S-Video monitor cable on the 800XL I dont have to work the switchbox just change the video input which I would find equivilent to changing the channel for the 5200

You wouldn't be one of the guys who plugs a Nintendo power supply into a Jaguar, are you? ;)

The 5200 is just a cool machine. The big black beast. It was the "holy grail" of consoles, one I never owned back in the day, and was the last to find in my recent collecting.

Firing up a console is infinitely more enjoyable than turning on a computer. The big cartridges are much more interesting than those tiny Atari computer carts, to say nothing of a flimsy old floppy disc.

And don't forget the beautiful rainbow Atari logo you get when you turn it on.

And switch boxes? In a lot of cases you don't even need those anymore. I don't use one for my 2600 or 7800. Only reason I have one for the 5200 is cuz I got a four-port, and it's automatic, and I have no problem with how the power hooks up.

If I could find one with good working controllers locally (I wouldn't wanna pay shipping for this beast) then I would probably collect for it and play it. I've only ever found one locally and, you guessed it, broken controllers. As it stands, I love my 800xl, I don't think its ugly at all. If we went by looks, nobody would own a woody 2600. I don't think they were aesthetically pleasing even in the 70's.

As for the switchbox, thats really a non-issue nowadays with the coaxial RCA adaptor anyway isn't it?

-Trackball controller.

hmmmmmmmmm-

800XL - smaller, nicer package - no goofy TV switch no need for a 20x20 footprint for the console. Better joysticks, better keyboard :P

Now,

If we could get a 512 in 1 cart for the XL series :D

hehe...the 5200 is HUGE but thats what is so awesome, and it looks futuristic, and has a nice sleek design. The 800 was not a small machine, I don't know why people think this. The 800 is still quite large, I mean it has 2 cartridge slots with a cover, and it fits a keyboard on the machine itself...the thing is every bit as big...its just uglier, and everything is exposed. The 5200 console has a housing for to hold the two controllers, which is really what makes the console so large to begin with. But it does self contain every component, so after putting the controllers in the housing, and wrapping the AV cord around the base of the console, you are left with just the console...it's a pretty neat setup really.

The 5200's sleek and smooth design also helps make it very easy to keep clean, with just a swipe of a cloth, you can get all the dust off of it. The 800 is basically a dustrap with that ugly keyboard. Now don't get me wrong, the 800 is awesome, but I just think its ugly. I just believe that a huge advantage of the 5200 is in it's presentation, and for collectors, presentation is always something to consider...I love to display my games.

5200 is all about nostalgia to me.

Even when it was released, of course I knew (it sure wasn't any secret).. that it was an Atari 400 in disguise. And of course I had played games on an Atari 800 prior to that. But there was a mystique about it being released as a console and as the heir to the 2600. That's what it was all about to me.

Also it has the distinction of being the console that had it's controllers break on me and thus having a nice library of titles that I owned that I couldn't play for years! :lol: So even that in itself gives the 5200 the notoriety and actually a special place in my memory after all these years :P Even moreso than other consoles that I never had a problem with :lol:

Goochman, how you can think the "female" plug from the power supply would somehow FIT the "female" RCA portion of the 4-port 5200 switchbox, instead of the "male" power supply portion, is intriguing. :? Fortunately, there are also s-video upgrades for the 5200, for people with electrical "gender confusion."

Goochman, how you can think the "female" plug from the power supply would somehow FIT the "female" RCA portion of the 4-port 5200 switchbox, instead of the "male" power supply portion, is intriguing.   :?   Fortunately, there are also s-video upgrades for the 5200, for people with electrical "gender confusion."

I was reaching behind the TV set and found a round hole to plug the power into - It fit and my Pokey was history

I kinda figured the connector would be different for power vs rca but it fit unfort - Thankfully it was only the Pokey that got fried.

Ya know - I might have plugged the RCA cable into the power plug - one or the other happened - I was bringing out my 5200 for the first time in awhile so I dont remember the hookups that well.

Of course when I fixed the POKEY chip the controller stopped working :roll:

The 5200 has some cool and unique homebrews.

Cousin Vinnie

Adventure II and Iratas quest look to be excellent - I hope they could be released on the XL line as well (fingers crossed). Haunted House II was a bit of a let down for me - Koffi was excellent and was released on the XL line.

I think the 5200 controllers, while having their obvious problems (mushy button response, the constant maintenance problems, not self-centering), also deserve SOME praise.

First, there's the attached keypad. This makes games like Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus much easier, especially when you need to make quick decisions when you're under attack. This feature also comes in handy for 2-player sports games like Baseball and Football (you really don't want your opponent to know what play you're running or pitch you're throwing, do you?).

Then there are the TWO fire buttons. Again, great for Football (I can pass to two different receivers) and Baseball (I can choose my fielder with one, and throw once I've selected the right one). Two fire buttons are also used for Pole Position (one accelerates, the other is a brake), Defender (second button is for the bomb that clears the entire screen...I think you have to press the space bar on an 8-bit computer for this?), and Qix (you can draw quickly with one button, or slowly with the other--and earn more points). We also should've had a second base option for Missle Command, but they rushed that one...

Finally, I'd argue that the analog controls actually IMPROVE some games, and not hamper them. Certainly the analog contols make games like Rescue on Fractalus & Star Raiders (you change direction more as you push more on your controller), Star Wars: TAG & Missle Command (plotting a certain point on the screen), Galaxian & River Raid (moving faster the more you push a direction), Pole Position (better steering), Football & Berzerk (for the many different running angles to "juke" your opponent), and Baseball (for bunting) more enjoyable! There are mixed reviews of the controller scheme for Gyruss (I'll let others debate that one), and I wouldn't be surprised if Defender and Ballblazer are analog-enhanced as well.

I've also read posts from more than a few people about how the trak-ball makes Centipede an excellent game, and Millipede good as well (personally, I wouldn't know, as I've never owned or used a trak-ball). And the homebrews released and about to be released are look great! There are many reasons to own a 5200.

i never played the 5200 when i was a kid (i didnt even know it exsisted untill the mid 80's)

i got my first 5200 with 28 games from the fleamarket around 92ish for $30 - cleaned it up, played it all day and put it back in the box for about 10 years, joined AA and pulled it back out and cleaned the suckass controllers, played it for most of the night, then boxed it back up again for 2 years, then i sold it all

i probably would have kept it if the PS to 5200 thing came out anywhere near when it was supposed to (did it ever?), but it didnt and that strengthened my hatred for the 5200 in general, never really liked it, just kept it around because it was an atari product and part of my nice size collection

i still have my 800xl (with only 7 cart games) but i have been thinking about selling that as well

both systems have zero nostalgia for me