IGNORED

Sorting your collection

Ze_ro

Another quick question about collectiong: How do you guys sort yours? I personally sort mine in alphabetical order, though I have to leave some games out of this. Specifically, the M-Network games don't stack well, so I put them at the top of all the columns I stack (They're in alphabetical order left to right at least). And of course, my double enders don't fit either (Though I'd have a hard time deciding where to put them anyways), so they're sitting next to everything.

I've been thinking of rearranging everything by company instead, but haven't actually bothered to change it yet.

--Zero

I used to sort in alphabetical order but I switched to a sort by company (with alpha as a secondary sort) after I picked up some Tiawan-type games. I like to use VHS cassette towers to store my games in. Each one holds about 100 carts and they display very nicely.

I sort my collection by company name.I put the games in plastic boxes to keep the dust out.I thought I had a great system going until Sylentwulf posted those pics of his filing cabinets;guess I will be buying some new plastic cabinets soon!...

You need to consider both what is going to be easy for you to find and what is going to be easy for you to manage. Usually when I want to play a game I know which one it is and what its name is; so, alphabetical order by title is a natural way for me to search, and of course it's easy to set up, also. I personally would not follow Atari-Jess' scheme since A) the company rarely enters into my game selection process and B) I find categorizing by genre to be a headache (e.g., is Star Raiders a “space” game or a “strategy” game?). However, if these methods work for you, then by all means use them.

Although it might mean a little more work, you can also set up some sort of database (or a series of lists kept manually) to allow you to view a listing of your games ordered by different criteria. In that case, the actual physical ordering of your cartridges becomes less important. For example, you can keep the carts alphabetized, but whenever you want to look for Activision sports games, you fire up the database and have it sorted by company+genre, and then you have a quick and handy way to know which carts to pull out.

I have mine in sterilite containers ala the picture below. I got sick of dusting them and figure this is the best way to store them AND the easiest way to find and play them. I have them arranged alphabetically right now, but I think I MIGHT change them to company/alphabetically cause I think it looks cool

IM000076.jpg

IM000077.jpg