IGNORED

Atari Game Image Variations

Junie

I have recently been adding to my small Atari 2600 collection, I am now at 76 games and 3 systems, but I have a question.

I have not been able to find anything about this, just information about different labels of the same games.

Here we go- I have 2 copies of Pac-Man and the images on the carts are both different. They have exactly the same label style, label text, etc.

On one of the carts, the pellet in Pac-Man's hand (The one he is not eating) it shows the top of the pellet (The pellet corner and half of the Pellet's top edge).

The other cart only shows half of the pellet, and does not show the top of the pellet.

Is this common? After closer inspection I have found other carts with slight image variations as well. Does anyone know why the images vary?

Thanks,

Junie

Does anyone know why the images vary?

Its quite the opposite. Think of tens of thousands of copies being made in different factories in different countries at different times. Some variation would be expected. If all the boxes, labels, instructions etc came out identical, that would be amazing. Interesting observation about the Pac-Man image, though. Can't recall seeing it mentioned before.

Mario's Other Brother and Pitfall Harry thanks for the information on why the images vary.

I know people collect different label styles like text and image for the same game, I do too - but does anyone actual collect the different carts with different images like the ones mentioned?

Do you think it is possiable to compile a list of carts with image variations and manage to somehow figure out when or where the game was manufacured?

Or if creating a site with the different image varations (Including the images of course) for carts would be helpful/useful to the Atari community?

Junie

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

I believe that Matt Reichert (Tempest) maintains a very authoritative Atari 2600 Label Vaiations List.

Matt sent me the latest version of this list a few weeks ago and I have been meaning to put it online as it's a great resource if you want to nitpick over minor label variations. After I move this upcoming week I'll take care of, I'm glad you reminded me.

..Al