IGNORED

PSP likely delay anticipated!

Adrian M

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/4587251050537816/

And this is no ordinary delay. We’re talking November 2005 for the US release! So where is this latest speculation generating from? Good question. Industry analysts PJ McNealy of American Technology Research and Piper Jaffray & Co. are projecting the delay, citing both hardware and software concerns. Most notably, is the battery life issue, which has been estimated to be as low as 90 minutes. On top of the hardware issues, it’s unlikely that a significant software library would be available in time for Sony’s planned release dates of December (Japan) and March (US). Stay tuned for an official announcement from Sony.

:thumbsup:

The key here is "projecting the delay'". Is there any official word from Sony?

Also, exactly why does this make you happy? I can't see how it effects your life in any shape or form since I'm sure you won't buy one. I'm not buying one either so why would I care if it's delayed or released tomorrow?

Industry analysts PJ McNealy of American Technology Research and Piper Jaffray & Co. are projecting the delay, citing both hardware and software concerns.

Who are these guys? I question whether they know what they're talking about really.

I mean whatever, I'm not stating an opinion either way, but I don't tend to put much faith in the statements of these types.

:thumbsup:

Trying to stir up the ol' bee's nest, eh? They're gonna flame you any minute now...

I highly doubt any of that is true. Theres more better launch titles than the DS and theres no bee's nest since like 95% of people of this site hate Sony(most because they said sony killed the DC I say no the people who bought a PS2 over the DC did) and just love Microsoft and Nintendo.

It's fun to watch the emperor's clothes unravel. Sony's been promising way more than they can deliver with the PSP. I just saw footage of Metal Gear Acid on X-Play last night and it was NOT that impressive... better than Playstation quality, sure, but not up to par with Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2. This, coupled with the battery life issues and Sony's typically draconian treatment of its licensees, could make the PSP Sony's first unsuccessful game system.

JR

Also, exactly why does this make you happy?

He's happy any time any tidbit of news makes Sony or Nintendo look bad, no matter how microscopic. That's because when they had the 1st Annual X-Box Fanboy Pageant, Adrian swept the awards in all of the following categories:

* Most Insanely Devoted

* Most Overly Dedicated

* Most Likely to Form a Civil Union with Bill Gates

* Most X-Box Games

* Most X-Box Controllers

* Most X-Box Paraphenalia

* Best Dressed

(The last was a fluke. Who knew?)

Fan boy or not this means sony may have just screwed the pooch on the whole handheld thing. Because if the ds launches with no psp in sight and a healthy library of gba games already there. Who in there right mind would wait to buy the psp? Only sony fan boys which are getting harder and harder to come by now a days.

Im looking forward to trying and possibly buying the psp, my confidence is kind of crushed after the ps2, but it may just be a great little hand held on the final production. Who knows with sony and their pre-release statements of glory,,,,,,,,,

Battery life at 90 minutes?! If that's true, Sony can forget about getting my money.

Sony may have bitten off a little more than they could chew with this one, from a sales stand point, or at least that's how it seems to me. Sure, becoming the dominant console was good, but Nintendo hadn't controlled the market nearly completely since the NES days. Sega knocked them out of that position with the Genesis (not that the SNES was a failure, mind you). But when it comes to handhelds, the GB and it's successors has been on top since, what, 1989? Even my friend, a die-hard PS2 fan, says the PSP looks like a fragile piece of shit (his words, not mine).

Personally, the DS looks like a much more appealing system. I like the design more, and it has ports of Super Mario 64, and Goldeneye, which pretty much guarantees I'll buy a system (in fact, I put my reserve in Monday) :) .

Who in there right mind would wait to buy the psp? .

1. Just compare the launch titles

2. I know countless people who are so sick of Nintendo Gameboy games

3. The graphics are nice AND has a lot of nice games (Devil May Cry Metal Gear Acid Ghost In The Shell and others)

4. Its a bit less powerful than the PS2 that means its more powerful than

the DS

5. I dont know about you but Im so sick of crappy 2d games and so sick of Super Mario Bros or Mario VS Donkey Kong or Cooking With Mario (obviously made up the last part)

6. Theres going to be a lot of nice games for the PSP

7. Its all about the games I could care less if the DS has Voice rec or 2 screens (Did you see screen shots of the metroid game for!? I got a bit sick) or touch screen I just want to play games that arent dealing with characters that have been around for decades.

Only sony fan boys which are getting harder and harder to come by now a days.

I hope you just mean on this site because theres a lot. I am one because Sony was very good to me. I bought a Network Adapter from a pawn shop then emailed them asking for Twisted Metal Black Online and they actually sent it and I got a lot of free stuff from them and had 0 problems so thats why Im so loyal to them. It would be nice for a change if another handheld was in the game along side with a Gameboy without having any trouble with either one. Basically I hope Sony AND Nintendo will turn out ok in the near future and as with Microsoft.

What rajiin said is funny and true. Yeah sony really did just screw themselfs on the whole hand held thing. mind you im not buying the psp or ds. Why? Well mainly becaue if the majority of the games are going to be 3-d maybe they should have used some kind of analog stick. Becaue i have ne disire to kell my thumb playing mario 64 with a d pad. Ill just wait untill nintendo and sont relise this folly and make re done version with an analog stick.

like 95% of people of this site hate Sonyand just love Microsoft and Nintendo.

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

*spits soda out through my nose onto my keyboard*

I dont know about;

Hating Sony, or

Loving Nintendo, BUT...

Do a little research on this website if you think people here like Microsoft!!!! Just about everytime Microsoft is mentioned it's negative. People HATE successful companies that make a lot of money. I love this site to death, but other than Adrian M, I don't think I've seen too many kind words about Microsoft on this or any other gaming website.

Look there is no upcoming DS vs. PSP war despite what the fanboy says. It's not about launch titles that feature either Mario or Solid Snake and which is better. That's all magazine and IGN bullshit hype to keep you interested and to give people ammo to fling in message boards

It breaks out like this:

Gamers who lare in this hobby for pure gaming, who love innovative and imaginiative gaming experiences will buy a DS

This current gen who like more than a little movie in their games and crave graphics over gameplay / or are gadget geeks will buy a PSP

'Nuff said. There's no "war" just a difference of two mindesets.

Ill just wait untill nintendo and sont relise this folly and make re done version with an analog stick.

The PSP will have an analog nub type thing, ya can't put a stick on a system that is supposed to be portable cause it is more likely to get broken in a pocket, backpack, etc.

I think the DS will sell well and cater to the GBA crowd and the PSP will have a market all of it's own, mostly techofiles who live for this kinda stuff. But are good systems with their respective strengths and weaknesses, so find one ya like and play away.

3. The graphics are nice AND has a lot of nice games (Devil May Cry Metal Gear Acid Ghost In The Shell and others)

the DS

5. I dont know about you but Im so sick of crappy 2d games and so sick of Super Mario Bros or Mario VS Donkey Kong or Cooking With Mario (obviously made up the last part)

7. Its all about the games I could care less if the DS has Voice rec or 2 screens (Did you see screen shots of the metroid game for!? I got a bit sick) or touch screen I just want to play games that arent dealing with characters that have been around for decades.

Points 2,3,5,6 say absolutely nothing to me other than "Hey, I'm 13 years old. My friends and this whole generation of Sony followers are out to strip the entire gaming industry of it's soul"

Harping about "crappy 2-D games", the ultimate importance of graphics and processing power is everything that is wrong with gamers today

Harping about "crappy 2-D games", the ultimate importance of graphics and processing power is everything that is wrong with gamers today

I agree. I have never understood what difference 2 or 3D makes if the gameplay is good. In fact there are 3D games that probably could have been made fun if more time was spent on the gameplay and less on some new 3D engine.

A good example is Mario vs. Donkey Kong. I couldn't care that it uses old characters, I couldn't care that it's 2D. It's fun and challenging and doesn't require a life committment to learn to play and enjoy. I think it's pretty close to being a perfect portable game.

Jumpman was 2D. HERO was 2D. Miner 2049er was 2D. Robotron was 2D. There are still no 3D games even 1/2 as good as these games, IMHO.

-not saying that I hate Sony. I'm just saying that this gives me a better aprreciation for the engineers at Nintendo seeing as how SONY, one of the biggest electronics powers in the world, is having a hard time creating a system to compete.

And from what I've heard, Nintendo is the only company still making a profit on their consoles, which is suprising considering they cost less than their competitors.

the DS

Points 2,3,5,6 say absolutely nothing to me other than "Hey, I'm 13 years old. My friends and this whole generation of Sony followers are out to strip the entire gaming industry of it's soul"

OMG Im just saying a lot of people would like something different for a change. Im not a 13 year old and the "My friends and this whole generation of Sony followers are out to strip the entire gaming industry of it's soul"

Statement is false. I was pointing out it does have better graphics which is like a small plus for me and it has a whole lot more games that dont feature old mascots thats what I was trying to get across I care more about variety (which sony has a lot of) than the graphics. And I find the games on the Gameboy's games boring because they are mostly 2d and the gameplay stinks. I like sony becaus they are doing different stuff and have a lot of nice games. Nintendo has been in the portables for a long time, its time for something new IMO.