IGNORED

Sonic on the Lynx??!!

crc_73

I know this magazine Big K, it was included in the GO! magazine which was included in te CVG...........

But serious, my brother has a digitcamera, I 'll try to visit him this week, and make some pictures to post them up here

And to make myself clear, I don't think that there ever existed such a device, as I never said that

I only mentioned that I own a copy of this magazine called GO! which has this article written in it

I read Atariage for some years now, and I am a fan of the Lynx and Jaguar

But I never had the urge to join the forum, until I saw the talk about this "mysterious" device that no one ever heard of, and I have this magazine lying in my closeth together with other Atari gamereviews that I 've gathered in the last years from several game magazines

Hi,

About the lynx/gamegear convertor, in the early nineties I bought so now and then the CVG (computer and videogames)magazine

Sometimes there was a little handheld mag included named GO!

I have this magazine, issue 12, oct 1992 on page 5 there is an article about the gg to lynx convertor and vica-versa, which should be coming real soon(back in those days) for around 20 pounds

Since I don't own a digitcamera or a scanner I am unable to make a scan of it  

I always thought it to be a joke, due to resolution/color matters

Maybe that someone else has this magazine and can make a scan of it?

I remember this issue. I haven't been a great one for keeping mags older than a couple of years, so it's long been trashed.

However, it was a hoax. I think in the next issue, or maybe the one after that, they clarified that the converter device was indeed a spoof invented by the magazine, simply because of all the arguements at the time regarding which system was better, Lynx or GG.

and I have this magazine lying in my closeth together with other Atari gamereviews that I 've gathered in the last years from several game magazines

You should check to see if you have any later editions of CVG or GO!. The clarification may have been in the main magazine, maybe in the editors letters. I can't recall exactly.

But I am positive that the magazine had admitted that it was a spoof. Even though I wasn't much into consoles through the mid 90's until fairly recently again, it is a story that I've always remembered. I remember at the time, I couldn't decide if I wanted a Lynx or a GG, so I ended up getting a GB! GB had R-Type, and that's what sold me.

I think that it's possible that a magazine did do a write-up on a Lynx-GG "converter" in Europe either on hope or rumour that such a device existed. I think that it is very doubtful that anything like this existed, and it probably would have cost more than 20 pounds to make (let alone retail for) in the early '90s.

Maybe there was speculation raised in a magazine after the Sonic screen was displayed in print?

Well, I have a few UK game and computer magazines from the late 80's and early 90's, and while I think it would be a terrific hardware feat, I don't doubt something was printed or speculated about it.

Those UK mags (sorry to offend any Brits here) are trash-ville: 99% Gossip, 1% substance. Although I must admit, that's why I used to love reading them so much - way better than the bland crap given to us during that time!

Cheers!

Joey

• Like 1

Those scans really bring me back! Exactly how I remember them, typeset, layout, the cover of the magazine. Thanks for the memories *sniff*

On a more serious note, yes, they admitted the device/devices was/were a spoof in either the next, or one after, issue, simply because they were getting loads of mail (snail) with owners of one dissing the other, and vice-versa. The first line of the article points this out.

I remember wanting to get one or the other, so I was quite intrigued that these devices were on the horizon - I could get one, and the converter, and choose from a library from two consoles. I was heartbroken when I read that it was a hoax, stayed with playing the GB, and ended up buying a Lynx after the price had dropped to about £20 in 1994. Anyway, there I go off on a tangent again...

Is there anything else worth looking at in that magazine? What's the review on Pinball Jam like?

I could make pics of the whole magazine, but Sauron would have a dayjob getting all those pics adjusted to the right size.......

And yes, in their "mailbag" you read the most letters are full of insults and hyping which has the best machine

For example: "Game gear owners think themselves so cool, but the machine and it's owners are the biggest load of rubbish around"!

You don't have to guess what machine this guy owned(it wasn't a GB)

There are only two Lynxreviews in the mag, Pinball Jam and Swithblade

PJ gets a score of 78% and SB 82%

They were complaining that PJ has an unrealistic feel ballwise...... for the rest they were very positive about the game, especially the sound

SB was a good addition to the Lynx libray they said, and they praised the gameplay

There was also a preview of Baseball Heroes, and they were expecting a lot of it

I know better now, but that is just personal

There was also a preview of Baseball Heroes, and they were expecting a lot of it

I know better now, but that is just personal

Yeah, it's a weak game, they coulda/shoulda done a lot better with this one...

Home Run Derby is Ok though, about the only part worth playing. Still, I can't complain, I got a very nice copy (C-I-B) for less than €5.

Jess pops in fresh batteries into his lynx

"Yes, time for some california games"

Jess turns on the lynx

"wheee"

Jess watches as the screen gets darker

"odd"

Jess adjusts the brightness

"There we go"

Jess watches as the battery light flickers

"nooooo"

Jess watches as the lynx turns off

"why me"

Jess throws dead batteries into the garbage bag

• 3 years later...

Back in the day (and still now I suppose) I could get 5 hours play out of my Lynx 2 on rechargable batteries with the volume on full and my mate with his GG could only get 3-4 so I was well happy with that as I only used it on batteries at school and charged them up every night.

I remember reading all about this in GO! I used to love C+VG it was a really good magazine and I really don't know where that guy gets the whole UK mags were 99% crap stuff from. I used to read alot more lies in mags like EGM than I ever did in a UK magazine.

I remember no such reply saying it was a hoex though, however I do remember the follow up article showing pictures of it.

• 7 years later...

Here are the resized images to keep the forum layout from becoming scewed to all hell.

Huh, that's impossible, how can gamegear games be ever played on a lynx??? The cartride and proccesor of the lynx is totaly different from the gamegear, and how could lynx games ever run on gamegear?? Same problem, unless both systems have an external video input sothat those game adaptors can use these pins for their rendered graphics,assuming those game adaptor have those hardware chipsets inside.???!

Anyway amezing pictures.

• 6 years later...

Hello people of the future! Since this is the top result in Google for “Atari Lynx Sonic screenshot”, and since it’s hilarious, I hope you will forgive me for bumping this ancient topic.

Here is the modern link to the catalog page in question: https://atariage.com/catalog_page.php?SystemID=LYNX&CatalogID=72&currentPage=3

And here is the page image:

5D30B65F-C6F8-46D2-B1B7-B4505214AF81.thumb.jpeg.d1be25af10892ff6b00a05c321b7bbf6.jpeg

I have a copy of this catalog. It’s pretty funny.

• Like 1