IGNORED

Got a Flashback unit!

Justin42

I thought about getting this. I always pictured the target group was 13 year olds who never played Atari before and then buy this to be "Old School" however I am glad it was a console which was something different for a change. Infogrammes was ok in my book in the past and now I still think they are doing alright in my book now. I wish they would do something with the Jaguar.

Has anybody got a link that shows the guts of this system?

I haven't seen any pictures yet, which surprises me since so many people have expressed their desire to open the Flashback up to see what makes it tick. Of course, we do know that it's an NES-on-a-chip solution and that it's not hackable to play other Atari 2600/7800 games, but it would still be interesting nonetheless. I expect someone will disassemble their Flashback soon and take some pictures.

..Al

Yes, they are epoxy...

Sorry for the blurry pics, but I keep forgetting the "3 foot" rule with digital cameras (they don't auto focus too well when you are closer than 3 feet) --- I forget who told me that. The only problem is 3 feet is too far to get details of this small board... :roll:

Yes, they are epoxy...

Sorry for the blurry pics, but I keep forgetting the "3 foot" rule with digital cameras (they don't auto focus too well when you are closer than 3 feet) --- I forget who told me that.  The only problem is 3 feet is too far to get details of this small board...  :roll:

If your camera has a Macro mode, you can take pictures much closer than three feet and have them in focus. I use the macro mode in my camera pretty frequently with great results. :)

..Al

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the pictures, PacManPlus.  That board is pretty small, and it's amusing to see all the epoxied parts.  

That is *very* cool Curt...  Where do you plug the power in?

This is actually Mark's project and it's pretty coool. Good question about the power, though. :)

..Al

Are you planning to do any mods with this unit? How about, for instance, a blue LED mod to match the one that I have now for my 7800? :)

Probably the reason atari is coming down so hard on places like atariage about copyrights is cause they dont want people to realize that there is a better alternative. :roll:

I'll re-iterate what I said in a half-life 2/steam thread here on AA.

It's my money as a consumer and I expect a good quality product. Am I gonna spend $40 for a halfassed attempt in hopes that something better will come out next year? Hell no!!

I have faith that the incompetent decisions that prevailed this year will prevail in the next.

Really? What are the gonna offer next year? The same titles? They have already wasted their opportunity this year on said titles.

If this thing is a success in sales because of a generally clueless population, then by all means let it be. But I am far from clueless.

That is four switches, what happened to the other two?

It astonishes me that Atari couldn't duplicate the functionality of a mere four ancient chips, two of which are extremely well-documented, (6502 and PIA) (TIA and MARIA are not) into the blobs in this unit. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me the function of each blob in the picture. If one houses the NES-on-a-Chip, one is the game ROM, and on the joystick is a shift register (for NES style joysticks) what do the others do?

• 2 weeks later...

Answer: this is a NoaC (Nes-on-a-Chip). The irregular shaped blob in between the traces for a packaged chip is the Program-ROM. The shrink-DIP packaged chip to the right of the big blob is the Character-RAM chip. (Often found in place of ROM on cheaper carts, much more flexible.) The smaller blob to the south west of the big blob is the memory controller hardware (mapper). The big blob in the middle is of course the NES on a Chip.

I must admit, like the other all in ones I have, I like the little thing. It looks cool and works well. About half of the games are nicely done, five of the remaining are ok, and the others are junk. Battlezone is, by far, the worst of the lot. I can forgive some of the graphic differences, I can even overlook the sound issues (of which there are plenty) but it is impossible to forgive the half hearted attempt at Battlezone. It is just awful. It looks more like a bad proof of concept than anything else.

Planet Smashers is my favorite game on the unit. I had never played it on a real 7800 or even emulation, so I was not prejudiced by memory. I found it quite addictive and fun. After playing for an hour or so, I decided to compare it to the emulator. I fired up MESS and tried the game there. I found myself liking the Flashback version better. The colors were brighter on the flashback and control seemed a tick better. Sound, however, was far, far better on the computer.

Centipede was pretty decent as well. I liked the Breakout, though the controllers were not as responsive. A paddle is definitely required.

Yar's Revenge was as I remembered, save for the sound. Sound was a big problem on all of the games. It really does take something away from the experience. In most of the games I enjoyed, it was easier to overlook, but on some, it was harder.

I hated Canyon Bomber. I never cared much for it when it was new and I am a little mystified that it was included. Same for Air Sea Battle. Ugh.

Desert Falcon was a disappointment as well. This is one I enjoy via emulation and found the Flashback version severly lacking. The graphics were just awful.

Solaris was another favorite. The sound did'nt bug me too much on that one.

All in all, I like the unit. It's a reasonable rendition of the games and is packaged nicely. I think it hits it's mark for it's target audience, but leaves much on the table for those who play the 'real' thing (which would'nt need to buy this thing anyway and are not the target audience.) Sound was a big problem and the colors on most of the games is not that accurate. I suspect that is due to the NES platform. (Although I did like the difference in color in Planet Smashers.) I also had a problem with the controllers: they are a little too small. I found my hands cramping after extended play.

It will be interesting to see what Atari does after this.