IGNORED

Jumpman 2600 Development

Cybergoth

Can you please try to make Jumpman colored like in the C64 version ? I like the colored Jumpman much more than the white version.

I possibly could do a per-scanline coloring in this still rather simple level, but unfortunately other levels might severly suffer when regularly "throwing" away another 8 cycles per scanline just for coloring Jumpman.

Hm... a more reasonable option could be color flicker, like I did earlier with the level structure. I will give that a try! :)

Added the bullet to the kernels. Still looks stable. Close to a breakthrough milestone ;)

This looks great so far !

Can you please try to make Jumpman colored like in the C64 version ? I like the colored Jumpman much more than the white version.

I'm used to the Atari 8-bit version since that's what I played long ago. If it comes down to sacrificing color elsewhere in order to color Jumpman, I'd rather have the white Jumpman. :)

..Al

Added the bullet to the kernels. Still looks stable. Close to a breakthrough milestone ;)

This looks great so far !

I'm used to the Atari 8-bit version since that's what I played long ago. If it comes down to sacrificing color elsewhere in order to color Jumpman, I'd rather have the white Jumpman. :)

..Al

But while you are playing, you look at Jumpman all the time... wouldn't that justify to try hard to let him look as nice as possible ?

I possibly could do a per-scanline coloring in this still rather simple level, but unfortunately other levels might severly suffer when regularly "throwing" away another 8 cycles per scanline just for coloring Jumpman.

How about just two or three color changes (head, shirt, pants)? Would that help, rather than every scanline?

How about just two or three color changes (head, shirt, pants)? Would that help, rather than every scanline?

Probably not. Zone-based subdivisions only help if they apply to all objects at once; since Jumpman can move freely, that would not be the case here.

Further, one of the missiles will share its color register with Jumpman. If Jumpman is multi-colored, that would cause the missile to change color too.

Color flicker does not seem like a good approach, since flicker wreaks havoc with transparency. Indeed, since foreground objects will probably have to flicker, I would recommend against flickering the background. Venetian blinds would almost certainly work better.

..Al

But while you are playing, you look at Jumpman all the time... wouldn't that justify to try hard to let him look as nice as possible ?

Maybe a different approach to make him look "nicer" in view of the apparent color limitations: (butter)smooth animation?

That could boost Jumpman's personality and make him as likable and memorable as the famous Game & Watch stickmen, despite being only monochrome...

If there's room for such, why not improve on the originals in spots?

Edited by r_type2600

Probably not. Zone-based subdivisions only help if they apply to all objects at once; since Jumpman can move freely, that would not be the case here.

Yup. I even draw Jumpman in single scanline resolution, to make him look every bit like the original. So with all code being 2LKs I'm gonna loose the color cycles always on both lines.

I could possibly make him move two lines at once vertically, to half the color writes, but I need to check first how he moves in the original.

Further, one of the missiles will share its color register with Jumpman. If Jumpman is multi-colored, that would cause the missile to change color too.

Flickering red and white could result in pink bullets and/or lianas, yes :lol:

(It would look way more consistent though as per-scanline color writes, since that would cause the missile to take whatever color jumpman has on that line.)

Indeed, since foreground objects will probably have to flicker, I would recommend against flickering the background. Venetian blinds would almost certainly work better.

You didn't try the most recent binaries, did you? ;)

Maybe a different approach to make him look "nicer" in view of the apparent color limitations: (butter)smooth animation?

That could boost Jumpman's personality and make him as likable and memorable as the famous Game & Watch stickmen, despite being only monochrome...

I think he already has a life of his own and a lot of personality, so I'm not sure if one should really dare to mess with him :lolblue:

BTW: Going to have some coffee now in one of these:

jmug.jpg

(AFAIK Matty still has a few for sale => The Jumpman Lounge [/advert] :))

Maybe this has been answered somewhere else, but is there a way to make the bombs look more like their 8-bit counterparts rather than squares? Every time I see the screenshots I'm reminded of Lode Runner.

Hmm... 2600 version of Lode Runner. There's an idea...

Tempest

Maybe this has been answered somewhere else, but is there a way to make the bombs look more like their 8-bit counterparts rather than squares?

I think it would introduce tons of flicker when trying to draw the bombs with anything else but the playfield. Or you'd have to reposition them in all levels, pretty much like the bells in Hunchy 2, so that there's only ever one bomb per horizontal region.

Maybe this has been answered somewhere else, but is there a way to make the bombs look more like their 8-bit counterparts rather than squares?

I think it would introduce tons of flicker when trying to draw the bombs with anything else but the playfield. Or you'd have to reposition them in all levels, pretty much like the bells in Hunchy 2, so that there's only ever one bomb per horizontal region.

Oh so they're playfield graphics! That explains it. Oh well, square is good with no flicker... :)

Tempest

It flickers a little, but I like it more than the white version :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks! :)

And here comes the breakthrough milestone release for January! I just finished adding all the logic for the bomb removal code. The 4 "trigger" bombs of the level are also already linked with the code removing the according structure bits.

This means that for a first level, "Easy Does It", I have all display features and kernels completed!! :D

I attached the full, compiling source code, in case someone wants to try some other color combinations for levels and/or Jumpmans clothes on their TVs. Let me know if you find some good looking ones!

I want to thank everyone for their fabulous support and input so far. I will take a ~ 2 week break from the project now, but continue work later in February. Take the time to have a look and post a comment! :)

easydoes.zip

I could see a Loderunner game being done with this kind of graphical style too. Two alternating colours for the levels, ladders and collectables, narrower ladders and possibly with sprites that work on alternate lines to allow upto 4 men running around at once without using flicker. ;)

Loderunner.gif

Edited by happymonster

I could see a Loderunner game being done with this kind of graphical style too. Two alternating colours for the levels, ladders and collectables, narrower ladders and possibly with sprites that work on alternate lines to allow upto 4 men running around at once without using flicker. ;)

I think Lode Runner is doable on the VCS, one way or another. The dynamic playfield will require an approach with a lot of extra RAM though. The Jumpman screens you see here take up to 6*192 bytes ROM and LR would need that in RAM. Eric Ball got pretty close cloning the LR mechanics for the SC, not sure wat stopped him at the end.

Another cool Jump'n'Run project might be a port of "Bruce Lee" :)

Wow! I just checked out yesterday's binary! :) I'm very impressed! :thumbsup:

I love Jumpman. Has anyone tried the remake by Raptisoft called HapHazard? It's a pretty darn fun game too. :)

/edit/

Here's a Youtube video that demonstrates a few random levels of HapHazard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTFziFcITI

Edited by mojofltr

I don't mind Jumpman being all white... I grew up playing the CGA version so I only saw either cyan, purple, white, or black when I played the Epyx PC version.

That's interesting that you say you had a PC version from Epyx, since my copy is actually from IBM. I never tried mine though, since it's on a 5"1/4 disk and so far I never owned such a drive other than for the C64 :lol: