IGNORED

Commodore 64 repair?

I have 3 complete boxed systems, but none of them work!

Is it even worth getting these units fixed or should I just go the Ebay route? I have a ton of original software to play..

it's funny, all my A8 hardware works like a charm, any C64 stuff is always giving me grief.. I also have 2 floppy drives that just issue read errors!

Daniel

It's possible it's the power supply, but the 2 completely dead ones I'd suspect a bad memory chip. If you open it up and turn it on, feel for a ram chip that's hotter than the others. Not scientific by any means, but I have been able to fix them in the past by doing this. I'd also verify the input voltages at the power supply connector on the motherboard. I've also heard of people piggybacking ram chips on the existing ones to see if this is the problem, but I always just shotgun them with sockets and new ram.

The one with the garbled memory error could be the CIA, but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

There's a good C64 diagnostician (I believe that's what it's called) on the net. The exact site escapes me right now, but do a google for that and see if it turns up. If not, let me know and I'll see if I still have it.

Have you thought about pulling and selling the SID chips from your dead C64s? The SIDs are in pretty high demand from people (like me) that are into vintage synthesizers.

Have a look at this: http://www.hardsid.com/

This web site sells WinXP-compatible sound cards based on the SID chip, but they can not even sell their own cards with a full complement of SID chips. Because SIDs that are still operational on all three channels are hard to come by.

I have also seen a product called "SIDStation" (which is a standalone synthesizer based on the SID chip) sell on eBay for like $800.

If you have C64s which don't work due to video or CPU problems, make sure you don't throw them away before you check the SIDs. They could be worth a lot of money.