IGNORED

Atari 2600 Modem

atarigamer

I remember reading in an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) that there was a modem cart for the Atari 2600.

Where users would connect to a special Atari number, and would pay $1 to download an entire game. And it would stay on the cart until you turned off the machine.

Does anyone have one of these? I really want one for collectors purposes.

Did you know...

...that Brazil had its own modem for the 2600, called The Telegame?

...that it was a rental device that had to be returned?

...that it came in a cool briefcase, labelled "Top Secret"?

...that its parts were recycled into superchargers and modems for the Apple II?

...that this makes probably makes it the rarest Brazilian 2600 accessory?

Cool stuff huh? Mad.gif

Cheers,

Marco

quote:

Originally posted by atarinvader:

Just out of interest, what happens if you used the gameline now?

Can the number it dials be changed?

Someone else here on the board has mentioned they wanetd to change the number it dials to a new one. I'm not sure if they got it done or not.

But even if the number was changed, the service no longer exists. So is someone going to try and bring back the service?

I think it would be nice if someone could bring the service back, but Im sure it wouldn't be:

-cheap

-easy

-worth the while (not that many gamelines about).

Hey, didnt Atari make some wild comment about it being the future of games, that all kids would have them by the end of the year? Yet it only lasted about 2 months right?

quote:

Originally posted by atarinvader:

I think it would be nice if someone could bring the service back, but Im sure it wouldn't be:

-cheap

-easy

-worth the while (not that many gamelines about).

Problem is, the number would most likely have to be a long distance call, unless you convince someone to run this service in your home town... and I'm sure the long distance charges would outweigh the cost of a Supercharger or Cuttle Cart (Which are probably both more reliable, and much easier to find and use). Plus, someone would have to reverse-engineer the protocol that the modem uses, which would be no easy task.

From a technical standpoint though, it's definitely possible. I doubt you'll see anyone devote their time to this anytime soon though (I'd rather see some new homebrews myself)

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Mindfield:

Yeah... what a letdown. From the height of video gaming technology with GameLine to the world's biggest troll haven: AOL. *sigh* At least it's still related to the telecom field...

Guess what!! Gameline IS AOL!! Gameline (or whatever it was called)was merged into another company which soon after changed its name to Aol.. And I do Have one, but its not for sale.

quote:

Originally posted by briguy:

Guess what!! Gameline IS AOL!! Gameline (or whatever it was called)was merged into another company which soon after changed its name to Aol..

Is there a Quantum Link somewhere? A C64 online service did exists back then and if my ruswty old memory served, they became Q-Link before opening op the service to include more than just C64 and became AOL.

quote:

Originally posted by wi1ykat:

If my rusty old memory served, they became Q-Link before opening op the service to include more than just C64 and became AOL.

As Quantum/Q-Link, it was open to Tandy systems as well. When I got my new PC for Christmas '88, it included special Q-Link access software and even an interactive tutorial.

As it was insanely expensive to access from Canada, I limited myself to local BBS's