IGNORED

Making New Atari Cases

Junie

As mentioned in another thread it would be really great if someone could actually make brand new cases.

Well I thought I would post my findings.

Creating the actual cases is no problem, the problem is getting the molds for the case made.

I actually took some original Atari brand cases to a Plastic Injector Molding company in my area, less than a block from my house.

He said it would be no problem to make the molds. The case will need two molds made, one fore each half of the Atari case. To make the cases it would cost about $1 - $3 depending on the quanity ordered.

The problem is that he would have to send off the original case to have the molds made. The cost to create the two molds would cost from $8,000 - $10,000 US dollars.

The kicker of all this is that he said if he had the machine to do it, he could make the molds for about $100 US dollars. It seems he has no real need of the machine so he doesn't plan to get one anytime soon.

He did mention that I might try to find the original Atari case molds.. Yeah right. Or find out who the original company was that made the cases. They might still have the molds, or at least the measurements and everything to get new molds made.

So does anyone know who made the original Atari brand game cases or how I could find out?

Or perhaps a company that made various other cases such as the Activision cases, or any other Atari 2600 game case?

Anyone have any ideas about getting the molds done for the original Atari brand game cases?

I would think these molds would have to be around and in some quantity don't cha think? I mean look at all the people that were making games for the 2600 and surely there was multiple molds made. The question is did these all get trashed when the 2600 no longer turned a profit???

That's not really something youd say..."Hey Im getting laid off, I think I'll snag something to remember this place by...I know..I'll take a few of these molds" They probably aren't much of a conversation piece.

Still it might be something to look into. Is anyone in contact with people that produced these games back in the day? Also were molds made for specific machines? Or can you use any mold in any machine?

quote:

Originally posted by atarinvader:

Larry Ziegler has some experience in injection molding, he is trying to make a mass produced Atari portable.

Or get in contact on
Im sure he wouldn't mind chatting with you on the ins and outs of this topic, and he sure does know his stuff.

I've stumbled about the Atari 2600 CE before, I hope he actually start to make them. If not anything else I would be highly interested in buying new Atari systems without cases from him once he gets everything "ironed" out.

I have contacted him about the cases. Perhaps we can share ideas and information and actually get new Atari 2600 game cases made.

Well I have some great news, at least if I had the money.

I have found someone who can place a order to get brand new, originial style Atari 2600 game cases! The only draw back is that they will only deal with orders of 5,000 game cases or more.

So I am still looking for another way, but if I make/have the money I can get new cases for my services.

quote:

Originally posted by DEBRO:

So how much are we talking for these 5000 cases?

BTW what's wrong with using the ones Mauricio mentioned on the

? These were used for CCE cartidges and they look like Activision games.

Go to
, click on Brazilfile, then CCE to get a look at the shells.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: DEBRO ]

I am still trying to find out mroe about the 5,000 cases, I'll post when I know more.

As far as the cases mentioned by Mauricio there is no prices of anything. I have contacted Mauricio Tadeu Alegretti malegretti@yahoo.com.br to see if he can tell me how much they cost in US dollars, if there is a minimum amount to order, how much shipping will be, and what he will charge to help me place the order for the cases.

I'll post what the responses are from Mauricio about the cases when he gets back to me.

Many Thanks DEBRO for the tip about the cases. Perhaps this may be the way for me to get the Atari 2600 game cases.

quote:

So how much are we talking for these 5000 cases?

Well it seems there is no price. The person told me they haven't placed a order for cases in about 2 months. Last they knew 5,000 is the minimum amount they can order.

Also the supplier is somewhere on the Far East is all they would say. The supplier also will not give any prices for the cases unless someone is placing a actual order and wants to know what the total amount is to pay him.

It all sounds fishy/bad to me. So this definitly not something I'll be doing.

My fear is that you'll get the same answer from the South American distributer as well (who knows, maybe they're using the same manufacturer). You'll probably get the best quality control if you could have them produced locally -- if only you could figure out a way to overcome the initial overhead of creating to molds.

I wish I had a solution for you... I'll keep thinking about it, though.

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

My fear is that you'll get the same answer from the South American distributer as well (who knows, maybe they're using the same manufacturer). You'll probably get the best quality control if you could have them produced locally -- if only you could figure out a way to overcome the initial overhead of creating to molds.

I wish I had a solution for you... I'll keep thinking about it, though.

Well new cases or not, once I get the printing for my services figured out exactly I start.

I imagine the new cases from South America will be the same story as the other one as well.

I myself would prefer to keep everything local if possiable. No shipping charges, I can find out what's going on immediately, whatever. The plastic company that is about a block away from my house is more than happy to do it once I get the molds.

Of course the cases will be a commercial grade quality, with little turn-around time. All I have to do is walk down and order some more when I need them, and go back to pick them up.

Once I get the molds one way or another, I plan to make the cases in different colors. So a Homebrewer can select to have the same color like the standard Black, or any other color like Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Orange, etc. Or they could even get their cases in all the colors.

Have about 10 of each color or whatever for their game, that would be cool.

I found it 4 ya,

Originally posted by Cassidy:

quote:

posted 11-05-2001 09:52 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,

I have an injection mold machine with hydraulic interface. I could make them super cheap. Currently, I have been using pure pellets so everything is white, but if I died them they could be any color. Why not make them blue, or something cool like woodgrain? Either way, the only step now would be for someone to help me make the mold I would need.

I even have a CNC machine to cut the mold, just need the code to run the machine.

Any MasterCam design guys out there wanna try? Get it to me, and we be in business.

Cassidy

Interested in owning the full size version of your favorite games? Email me at cassmandoo@yahoo.com and lets talk!

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Lange:

Junie,

Here is a suggestion. Try contacting a trade/vocational school that teaches courses on plastics, molding ... See if they will make the molds/cases as a project at a reduced cost.

WRL

I must admit that is a very good idea, Cassidy already mentioned this one a few days ago

There doesn't seem to be anything like this in my area, but I am still looking.

But thanks for the idea, any help counts

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

Thanks a ton Raccoon Lad!

Junie -- maybe you should tgalk more in-depth about this with Cassidy. It sounds like he's the man. If it just comes down to needing the design, I think we should all start to ask around to see if anyone has any MasterCam skills!

Yeah Cassidy is part of my "Team", we have discussed it quite a bit already.

He just need the code to make the molds so he can start making the cases. The needed for the molds needs to be in Master Cam 7.

Sure ask everyone you like to see if the can do the Master Cam 7 code. That's what I have been doing as well.

Well I got back a reply from the original case makers of the Atari brand cases. Take a look at the reply...

---------------------------------------------

Yes, we did run those parts at one time but we no longer have the tooling to produce those parts. The tooling was returned to Atari years ago. I wish I could be of more help.

Regards

Joe

Joseph A Parlett

Vice President Global Sales

---------------------------------------------

It was the right place after all, just to late to offer any help.

I found out the name of the company from contacting Curt Vendel at The Atari History Site, many thanks for your help.

After doing a look-up of the company name Trend Plastics on a online "Phone Book" at switchboard.com I managed to find some information. I also found their website after some more searching online.

Here is the information about them...

http://www.trendplastics.com

Trend Technologies, Inc.

2150 Michael Faraday Drive

San Diego, California 92154

Phone: 619.661.6900

Fax: 619.671.0628

Why not see if Activision still has their molds?? Maybe a deal can be cut with them, or Infogrames?

I would find it very surprising if it were not possible to track down the molds to at least one Atari 2600 publisher.

It will take some detective work, but there has to be at least one mold left that we could use.

As far as contacting other gaming companies and such for molds, that is a good idea. I will contact everyone I can and see what I can come up with.

The only problem is that everyone makes PCB's for the Atari brand cases, and unless another Company had the same setup inside the case the molds won't be much use.

Of course I could always try to get the PCB creators to redesign their PCB's to fit the new cases.

Then there is the label problem. It seems no one used the same sized labels as the original Atari cases. So they would have to be updated/changed as well.

The bottom line is really.. if the case will fit into the Atari 2600, any mold will be great!

If anyone would like to help me look for original molds, by contacting various Atari 2600 companies or even the pirated game companies, it would be greatly appricated.

If you do plan to contact anyone just let me know so I don't send them a e-mail about the molds as well.

I just left an office Christmas party and met a guy that said he might be able to do a CAD design of the case if I get one to him. Didn't someone say they could do these pretty easy if they had a CAD design?

Anyway I'll try to get with him next week to see if he is able to do it. Keep your fingers crossed.

quote:

I just left an office Christmas party and met a guy that said he might be able to do a CAD design of the case if I get one to him. Didn't someone say they could do these pretty easy if they had a CAD design?

Anyway I'll try to get with him next week to see if he is able to do it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Yes, Cassidy needs the game case done in Master Cam 7. He needs 4 total codes done, one for each side of the two pieces.

Please do a Atari brand case, preferable one of the older games so the cases won't be hard to fit in the older 6 switches. This needs to be done so all the PCB's, labels, etc. will fit properly.

I am not sure if CAD will help or not, but it will at least be closer. I'll ask Cassidy or perhaps he will respond to this thread.

Thanks DEBRO for the help, I hope this will do the trick. I'll post back here when I find out what Cassidy says.