IGNORED

Apple 2

Famicoman

the monitors are crap, you dont really need one unless you just want it for some reason...is it green, orange, or color?...I have 5 here working I will trade you one if you want?

how much is he asking for it?

You can just run a composite cable to a TV if you want...I use a 20 inch flat screen on mine that I got for like $120 that is awesome.

What kind of disks is he throwing in with it?

He's asking 50 bucks, but its been there for quite a while, and I'm going to talk him down to something smaller. He also has this big bin of games, and I get to get a game, no matter how many disks, for free. I still think 50 is kind of high for this setup though. For some reason I really want it.

It's not bad if you get everything...I'm guessing it's a green monitor...you'll probably get tired of it quick...lol...they are pretty crappy.

I'd see if you can get some more disks with it though...

you can find tons of stuff on ebay in bulk as far as software...there are always lots going for $5 - $20 with hundreds of disks.

What version of "Apple 2"? ][, ][+, //e, //c, //c+, IIgs... it really makes a big difference.

If you say it's a color monitor, and it really is a color monitor, then I'm thinking it's probably a //e. In that case, a //e with a real Apple RGB monitor and the 2 drives for $50 is not too bad, although I'd still try to talk him down a bit. That's not much less than the going rate on ebay for a setup like that so I'd think you could do better out in the real world.

If it's a IIgs with a color monitor and two drives, then $50 is a damn good deal.

If it's a previous model Apple 2, especially if the monitor's green or amber, then it's not a very good deal at all.

If it's a IIgs with a color monitor and two drives, then $50 is a damn good deal.

And what if I got two Apple IIgs's, two IIgs rgb monitors, one 3.5 drive, one 5.25 drive one mouse, one keyboard all for cost of shipping... which was like.... $25 because the "shipping zones" were really weird? Then what? :-P

It's pretty easy to get Apple IIgs systems for cheap as long as you don't nessasarily go for the first one you see. :-)

In fact... I've sent two people to a certain mailing list where I found mine and both of them have gotten IIgs setups free for shipping through it.

The real deal is in if the thing has any expansions inside it like RAM cards bigger than 1MB, hard drives, SCSI, accellerators... whatever.

And what if I got two Apple IIgs's, two IIgs rgb monitors, one 3.5 drive, one 5.25 drive one mouse, one keyboard all for cost of shipping... which was like.... $25 because the "shipping zones" were really weird? Then what?

Well, er, yeah. I think we've all got stories like that (I got my boxed Atari 5200 w/ the plastic still on the nameplate, two new condition original controllers, two Wico sticks w/ the Y-adapters and ten games for $10 and a cup of coffee, for example). But obviously, this guy's not getting this thing for free, he's gonna get it at something like the going rate...

btw, I'd be glad to take one of those IIgs's off your hands for nothing but the cost of shipping, if you really think that's a fair deal ;)

It does seem like most Apple 2's fetch about the same price... I'm just saying that there's a big difference between paying $50 for an Apple ][ Plus, that might only play half the games out there, and an Apple //e, that will play all of them. It might be worth it for a //e, I can't see how it's worth it for an older model 2. And there's definitely a big difference between whether it's a color or an RGB monitor - Apple RGB monitors weren't bad, but if it's an amber or green monitor you may as well not even take it. Just hook the stupid thing up through your TV instead.

I'd never buy an Apple IIgs or it's monitor on ebay unless it was a really low BIN. I only go to e-bay for hard to find accessories.

Good places to look for a base Apple IIgs setup are Mac mailing lists and forums and comp.sys.apple2.marketplace usenet group.

Anyway, I don't have the 2nd IIgs anymore. It took me almost 7 months but I did finally manage to sell it off for $50 with monitor, keyboard, joystick, 3.5 drive, 5.25 drive(drives which I had to go out and buy for $5 each at a used computer store to make the computer more appealing), 1MB RAM card, and some expantion cards for earlier 8-bit Apple II's.

Someone gave me an Apple II+ w dual drives and color montior - What a piece of garbage these things were - they really were a 'garage' design :)

Having said that, 1 of the drives doesnt work - the other is 'ok' - I bought 10 disks from someone on ebay - Id like to get a SIO2PC cable like the Atari 8bit has but it appears this is no trivial thing to do based upon how the Apple drive system operated?

Anyhow,

Id like to use this thing a few times but the learning curve to setup and enjoy is large.

Just my $0.02 :)

II+? ack!

You should look around on Ebay and get an enhanced MB for it...I picked one up deliverd for less than $10 total.

The only thing I ever use mine for is games, so...if you want to do something else with it...i have no idea what...lol...then maybe you don't need an enhanced MB...but if you are going to play games, you should really get one...and then you can pick up lots of software cheap on ebay from there and play everything.

I need a new Joystick for the iie...anyone have an extra or a favorite or know a place I can get one new old stock?

Thanks for posting all. I beleive, after further investigation, its a //e. I think you guys said this is a good model, but there are so many out there. Its almost like apple knew this outcome of the whole Classic Game Collecting scheme apon us, and set this up to read these boards in the future and laugh at theri leisure.

...Sorry about that, I was in one of my mad scientist dilemas.