IGNORED

Crazy Balloon Public Relase

Cybergoth

Hi there!

I have tried quite a few times, but still can't get it thru the center gap, let alone the left gap.

It works though, I swear :)

I can make it through the center gap in ~ one out of three tries and I made it through the left once - in the attached version!

Actually it should even be a little easier than the arcade... ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

So there's only one screen thus far or am I just a complete moron?   :dunce:

Just a small demo screen, yes. The final version will have more screens, maybe even more than the 3 of the arcade. (The arcade has 16 different levels, but they basically all use the same 3 layouts.)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I've never had the opportunity to play "Crazy Balloon" on a real machine.  Are the buttons on the panel actually used for game play?

The game itself doesn't use a button, but it could be the 1/2 Player Start Buttons and one for the "Hiscore-Input-Reset"... at least these are configurable in MAME.

Greetings,

Manuel

I've never had the opportunity to play "Crazy Balloon" on a real machine.  Are the buttons on the panel actually used for game play?

Actually I think they're used for high score initials input only.

The Service Manual has a lot of gameplay & scoring information if I remember correctly (even the individually colored spikes has a score, etc.). A pdf of it is linked at klov... maybe you can find out what the buttons do in there :)

There we go! I tried the second and third revisions.

All I can say is: wonderful.

It's difficulty is almost exactly the same as the original. Keep up the good work. :D

I used to know exactly how the scoring worked, back in the day when I played this every day. Even knew the highest possible scores for each of the first few levels. Too bad I didn't write them down. :roll: :sad:

And yeah, all the level layouts are basically the same, except for the...8th? Maybe? I'll double check. Anyway, the second iteration of the 3rd type of level has a few more spikes to make it a little more difficult to navigate, as does...the ending slot of the fourth level, making it thinner, I believe. My memory is hazy. :ponder:

Keep it up, and I can't wait to see how you implement that evil face of doom. That thing gave me nightmares. :x

------

Chase Hermsen

Hi there!

BTW: Anyone able to draw a "Crazy Balloon" logo as a level layout, using the full 32*26 grid?

So I thought when coming home from cinema, someone already did the job... :wink:

Now I've done it myself. another chance lost to get YOUR name into the credits :D

Greetings,

Manuel

crazytitle.gif

Darn! I had just finished making one for you! I'll post it anyway, though. I was thinking you could, if possible, replace one or both of the o's in Balloon with an actual balloon. If you could somehow have two balloons in the same spot (no collision detection would happen if they are the same sprite, maybe? Different subroutine, no? I dunno), but at opposite movement directions, so one is always going the opposite way, thus spelling out the two o's in a interesting fashion. :D

-------

Chase Hermsen

P.S. I tried doing the actual "level layout look" to it, but it took too long, and in that time, you posted yours. :ponder:

post-4259-1104452715_thumb.jpg

post-4259-1104452716.jpg

Hi there!

All I can say is: wonderful.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I used to know exactly how the scoring worked, back in the day when I played this every day. Even knew the highest possible scores for each of the first few levels. Too bad I didn't write them down.  :roll:  :sad:

Hm... I'll see how close I can get here. The arcade does a very complicated scoring it seems. Somehow it tracks which path you're taking. Might be hard to duplicate that exactly.

And yeah, all the level layouts are basically the same, except for the...8th? Maybe? I'll double check. Anyway, the second iteration of the 3rd type of level has a few more spikes to make it a little more difficult to navigate, as does...the ending slot of the fourth level, making it thinner, I believe. My memory is hazy.  :ponder:

Uihjah... I didn't even notice yet. I'll also have a closer look on this. I'm playing it on the newest MAME version, as it has an invincibility cheat put on one of the DIP settings :D (thanks NE146!)

Keep it up, and I can't wait to see how you implement that evil face of doom. That thing gave me nightmares.  :x

When I'm sober in time, maybe on sunday ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hm... I'll see how close I can get here. The arcade does a very complicated scoring it seems. Somehow it tracks which path you're taking. Might be hard to duplicate that exactly.

Yeah, the scoring makes sure that it only gives you points for each little bit you go through once. Also, I believe the powerup areas were one-directional, i.e. the middle slot, which has different colour spikes, would only give you more points if you went UP through it... If you went down through it, it would score regular size points, and that would take away from your score, as you have already passed through that area with this life, and you lose the bonus points as a result.

Also, this information was cleared after every life was lost, thus, you could acquire points all over again from spots if you lose a life, a kind act of the programmer.

Glad I can help! :D

-------

Chase Hermsen

I used to know exactly how the scoring worked, back in the day when I played this every day. Even knew the highest possible scores for each of the first few levels. Too bad I didn't write them down.  :roll:  :sad:

Here is the arcade scoring. Yeah I wouldn't even bother.. just make it some kind of time bonus or something. :P

cb3.jpg

cb4.jpg

And yeah, all the level layouts are basically the same, except for the...8th? Maybe? I'll double check. Anyway, the second iteration of the 3rd type of level has a few more spikes to make it a little more difficult to navigate, as does...the ending slot of the fourth level, making it thinner, I believe. My memory is hazy.  :ponder:

Like I said above.. it's in that pdf if anyone cared to look. Here, I'll just post it up and save lots of people time. :P

'Course these are just for reference.. I think just the fact that an awesome proximity of the maze itself and gameplay have made it is already an amazing feat. Like I said.. AWESOME Cybergoth! :D

post-31-1104455706_thumb.jpg

post-31-1104455707_thumb.jpg

post-31-1104455708_thumb.jpg

post-31-1104455709_thumb.jpg

post-31-1104455710_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

Like I said above.. it's in that pdf if anyone cared to look. Here, I'll just post it up and save lots of people time. :P

Uihjah! Amazing material! That's like a complete design paper!

Well, the scoring mechanics definately need to get simplified, as it'd be impossible to track each square with a visited flag (thats 32*26 bits...) Also, I cannot color code the passages as the original does.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

It's quite a squeeze getting the logo into 32X26.  I was also trying to make it a playable level, but I'm not sure how possible that would be.

Sounds like an amazingly difficult task. Inverting the logo certainly would be the key here.

Here is what I came up with so far:

Wow, that looks pretty good! Only on the bottom right a bit too squashed IMHO.

Greetings,

Manuel

I wonder what happens after beating the third time through all 16 levels...

My MAME only has Crazy Balloon sets 1 and 2, so I don't have any invincibility codes, and I've never gotten through the second time of all 16. I think I got caught on 22 or so.

And when I said the fourth pattern's end was thinner, I meant the fifth. I forgot completely about the second level. :roll:

That new pattern looks much better than what I cooked up, good job! 8)

Wow, I really SHOULD have read that PDF. It basically said everything I remembered. :ponder:

Again, I can't wait to see this game in action! :D

-----

Chase Hermsen