IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

Very cool!  I used to have this game on my Apple II back in the day (the first version ever released) and it was very impressive looking.  I hadn't been following the original work on this because it looked so plain in comparison.  I mean, much of the appeal of POP was that it looked so good.  I think the quality is right up there with the Apple.

927010[/snapback]

Thanks for the screenshot - I do think that the 2600 version looks at least as good as this :) The only thing that I don't do is the pseudo-3D effect, but I am not particularly concerned about this. Thomas demonstrated a 3D-effect kernel earlier, but it would be difficult to make this work in my version.

Chris

I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see this and Leprechaun completed.

Don't be afraid to target this game to just the Supercharger.

I'm working with someone on a board design that should enable AtariAge to offer preloaded Supercharger homebrew cartridges that self-load off of flash memory.

More details to come.

I'm very impressed.  I can't wait to see this and Leprechaun completed.

Don't be afraid to target this game to just the Supercharger.

I'm working with someone on a board design that should enable AtariAge to offer preloaded Supercharger homebrew cartridges that self-load off of flash memory.

More details to come.

930493[/snapback]

Thanks - I am also keen to see how Leprechaun turns out. I have just posted a new version on my blog which contains what I hope is the completed kernel. I eventually removed the self-modifying code as it was more efficient to use indirect indexing, but I will be using the SC features elsewhere. The board design also sounds very interesting.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

Here's a little demo I did to show (1) use of striped playfields to add color, and (2) use of sprite-data masking to allow more complex foreground/background relationships than would otherwise be practical. Control the flashing man with a joystick (left/right only) and observe that he goes behind the pillar, in front of the "POP" logo, and behind the wall, but is visible through the window. All of the foreground/background relationships are pixel-perfect.

POP50917.ZIP

Revised to fix scan line count and add some more interest to the background.

933573[/snapback]

Impressive. I would like to see this in full screen. Is this layering used as a factor in the gameplay? I think while you are able to do more complicated backgrounds, the dithering makes it hard to make out actual details. It might look better by just dithering one shade over black.

• 4 months later...
Hmmm... I wonder if anyone did anything about PoP within last 5 months.

1012833[/snapback]

The last version that I produced was in October (around 3->4 months ago). I have attached the binary to this message. The project is currently stalled as the sprite artist has disappeared, and I have other commitments at the moment.

Chris

popspikes.bin

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone did anything about PoP within last 5 months.

1012833[/snapback]

The last version that I produced was in October (around 3->4 months ago). I have attached the binary to this message. The project is currently stalled as the sprite artist has disappeared, and I have other commitments at the moment.

Chris

1013113[/snapback]

This looks very good! The "look and feel" is definitely there, and the level mechanics are working.

The door opens to enter the next level. Can you actually get to the next level?

This looks very good! The "look and feel" is definitely there, and the level mechanics are working.

The door opens to enter the next level. Can you actually get to the next level?

1013263[/snapback]

Thanks - there is only 1 level at the moment, so you can't get past this door.

Chris

• 3 months later...
has there any new info on this Pop 2600 game? Please say yes :D

Not much I'm afraid :( Legeek produced some nice sprite frames which are shown in his blog. However, I haven't made any more progress on the coding. The main stumbling blocks are a lack of sprites and a lack of space on the supercharger.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

The main stumbling blocks are [...] a lack of space on the supercharger.

I found this to be true as well. The SC tricks you into thinking BIG but then you realize that 6K isn't really that big, regardless of how much of it is RAM.

Yeah, this is why my SC game has hovered at 95% done for the past month or two. Right now, the only way to add more features is with self-modifying code (more than is there already, that is.)

The main stumbling blocks are [...] a lack of space on the supercharger.

I found this to be true as well. The SC tricks you into thinking BIG but then you realize that 6K isn't really that big, regardless of how much of it is RAM.

Yeah, this is why my SC game has hovered at 95% done for the past month or two. Right now, the only way to add more features is with self-modifying code (more than is there already, that is.)

I've found that you really have to think a little differently to come up with a good "SC" game idea. To go to the trouble of using the SC, you want to take advantage of that RAM and the possibilities, but your idea has to fit into discrete 6K chunks. I think Eric B's Leprechaun game is close to a perfect candidate for the SC.

It is hard, though, to go from thinking in terms of 8K+ with 128 bytes of RAM to thinking in terms of a hard 6K cap on ROM with all of it RAM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...