IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

Hum any news on this game? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

No progress on this I'm afraid. There are three things holding things up:

1. The game needs a lot of sprites to be drawn.
  2. The game needs some kind of RAM cart - the Supercharger doesn't have enough RAM, but the Chimera looks very promising.
  3. Somebody (i.e. me) needs to find some time to write the code, and I'm currently distracted with my Juno First project.

Chris

2. The game needs some kind of RAM cart - the Supercharger doesn't have enough RAM, but the Chimera looks very promising.
  3. Somebody (i.e. me) needs to find some time to write the code, and I'm currently distracted with my Juno First project.

Chris

What about the 4A50 cartridge?

• 1 month later...

Chris

What about the 4A50 cartridge?

As much as I'd love to see this on Chimera, that might be a good suggestion since I now haven't heard from Delicon in over a month. (I'm actually fearing for his health, to be honest with you.)

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone did anything about PoP within last 5 months.

1012833[/snapback]

The last version that I produced was in October (around 3->4 months ago). I have attached the binary to this message. The project is currently stalled as the sprite artist has disappeared, and I have other commitments at the moment.

Chris

That .bin looks really awesome...almost not 2600 anymore..

:x

• 3 months later...

The other night I mucked about with Adam Tierney's sprites for a bit and came up with this:

PoP_iconic_climbing.gif

Yeah, I know, the "iconic" version has been abandoned for the "rotoscoped" version. But it's cute!

Anyway, I asked LeGeek about converting rotos and he said "go for it" (thanks). So stay tuned, but don't hold your breath.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Good news, people!

I've talked with Cd-W about this project, and I have the green light to draw the sprites for this game :)

For me is an honnor because this project is going to be one of the best games ever ported for the 2600.

Le Geek did a good job with prince animation, but he stopped the progress. I will finish the prince move set (using Le Geek stile) as well draw the others characters/ element for this game.

As a programmer, I know what is possible to do on 2600 hardware. I'll sent the sprites in binnary, ready for use :)

I'll not take part on programming, maybe spice some ideas, althoug there others better and most experienced programmers to do this. Anyway I can help with some codes too.

For start I did 2 sprites for the guardian, atack and stand pose.

The skull warrior is a test, I'll redraw it, I can do a better sprite for him.

The sword is blue because it's a missile object, and share the player colors, sadly.

Hope you like it ;)

post-10940-125148285404_thumb.gif

Good news, people!

I've talked with Cd-W about this project, and I have the green light to draw the sprites for this game :)

Yay! :thumbsup:

The Harmony cart should finally make this game possible from a hardware perspective so if the sprites are also available then I am happy to come back to this project (once I've finished with the Harmony driver). It isn't going to happen overnight though!

Each of the levels can be implemented as a separate ROM image and loaded from the internal EEPROM. The Harmony can also provide extra RAM, up to 8K. I'll probably move away from the Supercharger format as it is a bit cumbersome to program for.

Chris

I forget a crucial thing, to ask authorization for Le Geek, to continue his work. PM sent.

Sweet! Nice looking sprites! (And there's a lot of animation to do for this game.)

Thanks. Yeah lot of work to do :) (I not quit my others projects, though).

I made Jaffar and Princess sprites and fixed the bone-guy.

The colors are carefully chosed. Is hard to draw such minimal sprites with a good result. It lost about 35% of the original sprite resolution and 1 color per line lost lot of details.

When you create a sprite for a game, don't matter how they look zoomed and yes, how they look on real aspect ratio.

The princess for example, without neck. If I put one dot behind her head, looks good, but when I did zoom out, it's mess the whole sprite. Same for the colors.

Tomorow I'll try to do an animation for know what's waiting for me :P

Another thing, these sprites is based on PC PoP version, personally I love the snes sprites, I played this version alot when I was kid, but I think this port shoud be have the original looking.

(I read somewhere that this game was first coded for apple II computer, I saw this version on youtube and I think pc version have the same graphics but with better colors).

post-10940-125149682842.gif

Edited by LS_Dracon

Here's the princess animation from the intro storyboard.

If you aren't familiar, she turn, then Jaffar aproach, she step back and the last frame she is looking the hourglass.

I need fix some pixels, it's not the final result yet. The step back looks way better when the sprite get movement.

All original frames is present on this animation and not all frames use the same timer, it require one table with time for each frame, I have plans to do this for my projects and maybe can be used in this project too.

post-10940-125156510702.gif

Excellent!

BTW: Where was the size of the sprites decided?

Thank you :)

I'm using Le Geek's prince sprite as reference, it is 16 pixels tall. Jaffar is 1 pixel bigger, for me its a good size, the characters can't be much bigger or I have problems to draw the sprite, such the legs, note the Jaffar animation is very tight in the 8 pixels wide.

Some sprites such climb need be taller becouse the arms, about 3 pixels, I think 18~19 pixels tall is enough.

Or you say about the possibility to use double wide charaters, like the previous test?

For me this size is good. I'm free for suggestions anyway. :)