IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

BTW: I've done some calculations, based on the original. There the screen is 320 x 189 pixel and the standing Prince is 10 x 41 pixels wide. The aspect ratio should be about the same.

Since the used 2600 screen is 128 pixel wide, the vertical (using a 2LK)and horizontal factors are 2.5 each. So the screen should be about 75 pixels tall, with the Prince being 8 single width (or 4 double width) x 16 pixel.

8 single / 4 double for the idle standing, right? That sounds about right. Well if you want to select which of the princes I made would work best, or reccomend a change (like, 'take prince 5 but make him 2 pixels taller and color his pants' etc) then I can jump right into some of the animations.

- Adam

8 single / 4 double for the idle standing, right?

Yup.

That sounds about right. Well if you want to select which of the princes I made would work best, or reccomend a change (like, 'take prince 5 but make him 2 pixels taller and color his pants' etc) then I can jump right into some of the animations.

Something between #4 and #5 would be ok (though I really like #2). Maybe just with blonde hair. And instead of using completely different colors, maybe some slight shading of only a few colors. So color errors would be less obvious.

And IMO you could make him a little wider, if you want to. That would give him some comic like effect and you'd have a bit more space for details.

But those are only suggestions. I am sure you know how to handle this perfectly.

Here is a screenshot of the latest progess. I reduced the vertical size, so that the aspect ratio of layout now matches the original game (though my calculations above where slightly wrong, the factor should be 2.67, because the left and right most PF pixel is from the adjacent screens).

Below (or above) the screen is now a quite large unused area. Maybe we can use that for constantly displaying the remaining minutes

The thin black lines are meant to be used for repositioning of one sprite between the floors

Something between #4 and #5 would be ok (though I really like #2). Maybe just with blonde hair. And instead of using completely different colors, maybe some slight shading of only a few colors. So color errors would be less obvious. And IMO you could make him a little wider, if you want to. That would give him some comic like effect and you'd have a bit more space for details.

Like this?

pop_new.gif

- Adam

pop_new.gif

Yup, something like this (but with a darker blonde, like in the original). And currently he is 18 (should be ~16) pixel tall.

Though I would prefer a blue belt version, I suppose choosing a red one is a clever decision, since the color is very close to the skin color.

Maybe the extra belt at the feet is superfluous, since it might cause problems when the Prince is jumping? (I can't wait to see the first animation(s). ;))

But I am not the only one to decide. You are the artist and then there are other people who should get involved into the project.

BTW: I've done some calculations, based on the original. There the screen is 320 x 189 pixel and the standing Prince is 10 x 41 pixels wide. The aspect ratio should be about the same.

Since the used 2600 screen is 128 pixel wide, the vertical (using a 2LK)and horizontal factors are 2.5 each. So the screen should be about 75 pixels tall, with the Prince being 8 single width (or 4 double width) x 16 pixel.

You mean 75 2LK pixels, right? So 150 scanlines?

And I am curious to know if you were able to reduce your RAM usage...? The code you posted in the Programming forum was using ~65 bytes for the PF data; have you been able to compact that?

And have you actually implemented the repositioning of the ball? I'm excited to see!

:D

At this point, I can't decide which way to go with my kernel - I really need to know the possible layouts of the rooms better.

I do have MS instant messenger, but I don't like to have it on constantly, so send me an email and I will jump on if I am able. vdub_bobby at yahoo dot com

You mean 75 2LK pixels, right?  So 150 scanlines?

Yup.

And I am curious to know if you were able to reduce your RAM usage...?  The code you posted in the Programming forum was using ~65 bytes for the PF data; have you been able to compact that?

I don't have the code now, but I have reduced some RAM usage (colorLst is only 3 bytes now, 3 instead of 4 rows/floor for the PF). But for repositioning I need new extra RAM. So it should still be about the same memory usage.

And have you actually implemented the repositioning of the ball?  I'm excited to see!

It's not the ball, but one of the players. Maybe I can show something tonight.

At this point, I can't decide which way to go with my kernel - I really need to know the possible layouts of the rooms better.

At the beginning of this thread, there was a link to all maps of PoP. And you can download the game and play it completely. There are some cheats which allow you do select any level you want to etc. (google for "Prince megahit").

I do have MS instant messenger, but I don't like to have it on constantly, so send me an email and I will jump on if I am able.  vdub_bobby at yahoo dot com

Why eMail? We have this forum and with eMail notification the should be no delay.

I don't have M$ messenger (I avoid M$ where ever I can), but I have ICQ.

And have you actually implemented the repositioning of the ball?  I'm excited to see!

It's not the ball, but one of the players. Maybe I can show something tonight.

Cool. :)
I do have MS instant messenger, but I don't like to have it on constantly, so send me an email and I will jump on if I am able.  vdub_bobby at yahoo dot com

Why eMail? We have this forum and with eMail notification the should be no delay.

I don't know exactly what you mean here, but I was just responding to Adam's request for IMs. If anyone wants to IM me, you can email me or just request here that I get on IM. I prefer the forums myself; I'm not a big fan of IMming.

I don't know exactly what you mean here, but I was just responding to Adam's request for IMs. If anyone wants to IM me, you can email me or just request here that I get on IM. I prefer the forums myself; I'm not a big fan of IMming.

Oh, nevermind - I just figured out what you meant :) I'm a little slow in the morning here...

My latest demo -

using Ball for sword, and using missile as Thomas is: as an extra pixel for one of the players. If you look close the guy on the left is nine-pixels wide. Also rewrote kernel so no graphic/color glitches in play area.

About halfway through the repositioning code; will post when I've got it. :)

post-6060-1109709755_thumb.png

pop2lk.zip

Wow, that's really nice.

You probably know this, interesting bug w/ the sword, it looks like there are times when the bottom edge of the sword is near the top of something else that it forgets to turn off the missile and so it just keeps drawing...actually that bug was very informative...what do you do, carefully preposition the missile during the vblank and start it moving so that if you turn it off then on and just the right time it ends up in the right place?

You probably know this, interesting bug w/ the sword, it looks like there are times when the bottom edge of the sword is near the top of something else that it forgets to turn off the missile and so it just keeps drawing...

Yup, I know. But that bug will never occur in the real game, because the sword (=ball) will never be there (at the very top of a floor).

actually that bug was very informative...what do you do, carefully preposition the missile during the vblank and start it moving so that if you turn it off then on and just the right time it ends up in the right place?

Yup.